PDA

View Full Version : New 1909 Winchester 32-40. Which mould?

stubbicatt
08-16-2015, 08:56 AM
Guys I finally found (one of) my grail guns, a nice Schuetzen rifle in 32-40. I'm busy amassing books, but I wondered if any of you has a recommendation for a mould in about 165 grain weight? At some point I'll find a breach seater, a scope, a palm rest, these sorts of things. But at least initially I anticipate fixed ammo. I'm leaning towards a Saeco mould, but at that price point, any of the custom moulds could work really well and maybe even better.

I have no misgivings about my ability to shoot the rifle well, but with practice I hope to improve.

I've been scouring the internet to find good loads for it, and am open to any suggestions you might have.

Thanks in advance.

Finnmike
08-16-2015, 11:09 AM
Saeco 738. But do a chamber pound cast cast and bore slug first. Lucky duck...

Clay M
08-16-2015, 07:13 PM
I had a nice original HighWall in .32/40.All original with perfect bore. Wish I had kept that one, but I was into original 86 Winchesters at the time.

I would give Steve Brooks a call and see what he suggest.

http://brooksmoulds.com/

If I am going to shoot black, then I like two diameter bullets.

Otherwise you might get by with molds from RCBS or Saeco.

Brooks molds are not cheap, but for serious target work he makes a great mold.

Bigslug
08-16-2015, 07:31 PM
Being for target applications, a custom mold is not an unreasonable thing.

Pound cast the chamber/throat and send it and the cartridge used to LBT with a request for an appropriately contoured nose in the alloy and approximate weight you want to use. . . and a top punch of course. It's a little more expensive up front, but you get a mold that is MUCH more likely to shoot well in your gun, thus saving you buying and experimenting with multiple molds.

Gunlaker
08-16-2015, 09:37 PM
I have an original Winchester schuetzen rifle that I shoot a breech seated Seaco tapered bullet in. It's the shorter of the two Saeco tapered bullets. I think it's 165gr. Regardless it shoots quite well breech seated with a plugged cartridge case. I use black powder in mine, cast the bullets out of 20:1, and pan lube with SPG.Chris.

stubbicatt
08-17-2015, 07:25 AM
Gunlaker, is that bullet a tapered or two diameter bullet? I like black powder, and I wonder with breech seating, how does one load the cartridge, place wad, and chamber behind bullet such that there is no air space which I have read *may* ring the chamber?

ClayM, how does one properly lube a 2 diameter bullet? The Hoch 202 grain "Pope" bullet looks appealing, but I'm at a loss as to how to properly lube such a bullet?

Thanks guys.

08-17-2015, 07:56 AM
Any chance of pictures?

stubbicatt
08-17-2015, 08:20 AM
I only have cell phone, but here's a photo. I have sourced a breech seater, I need to find a palm rest.

If any of you has a source for one I would be grateful.

http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j187/stubbicatt/1909%20Winchester%2032-40/IMG_0241_zpsmvavbn9x.jpg (http://s80.photobucket.com/user/stubbicatt/media/1909%20Winchester%2032-40/IMG_0241_zpsmvavbn9x.jpg.html)

My 45-70

http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j187/stubbicatt/1885%20Winchester%20Single%20Shot%20Rifle/IMG_0225_zps0uhle1hn.jpg (http://s80.photobucket.com/user/stubbicatt/media/1885%20Winchester%20Single%20Shot%20Rifle/IMG_0225_zps0uhle1hn.jpg.html)

Clay M
08-17-2015, 10:24 AM
ClayM, how does one properly lube a 2 diameter bullet? The Hoch 202 grain "Pope" bullet looks appealing, but I'm at a loss as to how to properly lube such a bullet?

Thanks guys.

I pan lube them and shoot then as cast.
I make my own lube out of five parts Beeswax, three parts Canola oil.
two parts Anhydrous Lanolin.

Gunlaker
08-17-2015, 10:34 AM
I don't usually use a wad except for a thin one that holds the powder in he case. I don't buy the ringing a chamber with BP with very small airspace. I have about 1/16 air gap on that rifle. I shoot a lot of breech seated bullets with air gaps of between 1/16" all the way to 1/8" and have never had problem. That's the way it was done in the old days.

I also have an 1885 built by A.O. Zischang. There are no rings in the chambers of either rifle. I believe that both rifles, being target rifles, would have seen a lot of use. Even with the old steel they are still good.

I'm sure that you can get into trouble if the air gap is really big, as I know of guys who've damaged muzzleloaders this way.

Btw, that Saeco bullet is a uniform taper. I won't shoot well unless breech seated. Have you checked out the ASSRA site? Lots of good infomation there on schuetzen.

Chris.

Clay M
08-17-2015, 05:16 PM
The Hoch molds are nice too. I have several of Dave Farmers molds. They are a bit more trouble to work with, but the bases are perfect when you get everything right.

Dave Farmer and Steve Brooks are both excellent guys ,and build great molds.

stubbicatt
08-17-2015, 06:07 PM
Thanks fellas.

HWall3240
08-17-2015, 09:52 PM
Thanks fellas.That is one FINE looking 1885. Dale.

stubbicatt
08-18-2015, 06:51 AM
Thanks Dale. I found a palm rest yesterday. Dang but this old stuff sure is fascinating. I have no misgivings about my ability to shoot this rifle well, but so long as there is room for improvement, chances are, improvement will eventually take up that room. ;)

I remember watching a Schuetzen match at CRC in maybe 1994 or something, and the bug bit hard at that time. Just took awhile to follow through. I guess they don't shoot this game in the Denver area anymore. There is some indication fellas are shooting out in Grand Junction. A long way to travel to shoot. I suppose I can do a couple tournaments there.