PDA

View Full Version : NEI 311284 and 30-06

Blammer
03-30-2008, 10:30 PM
Well, as you know I ran the 311284 GB for NEI.

I didn't get a mould but as a result of all the "test casting" I wound up with a pile of 311284's.

Soooo I loaded up a few and took the Rem 700 '06 out an tried a few.

Here are the pics

The first load I tried was the highly recommended load for "cheap plinking" as recommended to me by several highly frugal people.

[smilie=1:

25 yd target
30-06 WW case
311284, WW alloy AC, Horn GC, sized .309 with Speed green lube
OAL was 3.250
Powder was unique

group on far left is 13gr
group on far right is 14gr, yes this is a 3 shot group! :-)
center group is 15gr

the two dead center and a 1/2 high are from some "other loads"

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g81/blammer8mm/Targets/3006_311284_Unique.jpg

Then I proceeded to use IMR 4475, pull down equivilent to IMR 3031

These are also at 25 yds but 5 shot groups

same data as above except the powder.

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g81/blammer8mm/Targets/3006_311284_IMR4475.jpg

Needless to say, I think I've found my hunting load!

I'll have to test at 100 yds next time.

Here is a pic of the loaded boolit.

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g81/blammer8mm/Cast%20boolits/DSCN6281crop.jpg

testhop
04-07-2008, 06:38 PM
Blammer
that looks great mind i am going to load some and see if i can do as good (dream on)
i am begaining to think those days are gone (of groupsto brag about)

MT Chambers
04-08-2008, 07:15 PM
I've tried that bullet in 3 diff. calibers and can't get it to fit right........to seat the bullet so that the gas check is above the neck/shoulder area the OAL is such that the round won't chamber as bullet is jamming on the rifling. Tried it in Rem 700 in .308, a Pacnor barrelled .300 Whisper, and a Brown. 1885 in .30/30 and no dice!!

Blammer
04-08-2008, 07:48 PM
well as you see mine didn't do that either, but still didn't affect accuracy.

You'll probably want the 311290

Jack Stanley
04-14-2008, 08:10 PM
I had a chance to load a couple this morning for the Krag I recently got . Y'know this thing weighs over two hundred and thirty grains (wow!) Anyway I used eleven grains of Universal clays and it was enough to show me a couple things . First , the loads may be rather accurate and second the carbine I just got shoots about a foot to the right at fifty yards :( and no windage adjustment on these 1896 sights .

I think this bullet may work pretty well in my A3 since it's been shot a lot . I will try it in something that has more of a throat though just to see if it will go .

Jack

Just Duke
04-14-2008, 10:31 PM
I had a chance to load a couple this morning for the Krag I recently got . Y'know this thing weighs over two hundred and thirty grains (wow!) Anyway I used eleven grains of Universal clays and it was enough to show me a couple things . First , the loads may be rather accurate and second the carbine I just got shoots about a foot to the right at fifty yards :( and no windage adjustment on these 1896 sights .

I think this bullet may work pretty well in my A3 since it's been shot a lot . I will try it in something that has more of a throat though just to see if it will go .

Jack

Hi Jack. Fancy running into you here sir

Jack Stanley
04-17-2008, 08:51 PM
Duke , It is indeed nice to hear from you . I've been shooting lead off and on since the late seventies . I did have a slow down time when I could buy pulldown bullets for thirty caliber for cheaper than my time to cast , surplus powders helped out a lot too .
I still run a lot of surplus through the Garand and M1A though and my collection of cherry stocked battlerifles now includes the Garand , a 1903 and an 1903A3 and a replica of a test rifle that Springfield did in the fifties . Thinking about making up a Krag , a 1917 or a Carbine now [smilie=1:
Don't be a stranger , either here or at the company site , I enjoy reading your experiences .

Jack

BruceB
04-19-2008, 09:49 PM
I've tried that bullet in 3 diff. calibers and can't get it to fit right........to seat the bullet so that the gas check is above the neck/shoulder area the OAL is such that the round won't chamber as bullet is jamming on the rifling. Tried it in Rem 700 in .308, a Pacnor barrelled .300 Whisper, and a Brown. 1885 in .30/30 and no dice!!

MT, pard;

There's almost no way you'll be able to keep bullet bases "above the neck/shoulder area" in all the various cartridges. Your priority should be to seat the bullet so that it DOES work and fit in the throat and rifling origin, and THEN concern yourself with the back end of the beast.

Having the bullet base below the neck is no great sin, and it is a practical necessity in short-necked cases with long, heavy bullets like the 311284. I used a number of these 311284 bullets in my M1A (7.62NATO) and the bases were below the SHOULDER, as I recall, when the throat fit was correct. Many other long designs were also seated with gaschecks well below the neck, and no harm done.

If powder contact with the lube is your concern, I've seen no bad effects from this condition, and I've fired many rounds so-loaded. To completely satisfy one's mind on the subject, a small tuft of dacron under the bullet will eliminate all powder/lube contact and do no harm whatever...it may even improve the load.

These long, heavy designs are highly regarded, because they WORK. Generations of shooters have been firing them with bases below the neck, and I'd hate to see you rule out such a successful design because it doesn't "fit" to your specs...they DO fit, and you should give it a good try at whatever seating depth it takes to allow them to function normally.

I hope it works out for you; it's a VERY fine bullet design. Keep us posted, please.

sundog
05-12-2008, 10:46 AM
Blammer did a great job on this group buy. Unfortanately my mould, the only 4 cavity mehanite in the GB, had to go back not once but twice. I was not satisfied with the match up of the mould blocks (they closed fine but they did not seem to be mated othe than top and faces), but I could have lived with that IF the cavities had not been so boogered up with tool marks. I sent a proof set of boolits back both times. They were nowhere close to being consistent across the cavities for roundness or weight. I received the mould back Friday past and cast with it Friday evening and Saturday. Appears to be new mould blocks. Other than being heavy, as expected of a 4 gang iron mould, it cast some very nice boolits and very consistent hole to hole. Boolits dropped easily. I will shoot some my next range trip and report back.

Here's a run down on the results. Cavity 1 is furthest away, 4 closest. PL = part line.

Cav Wgt PL dia 90d dia PL nose 90d nose

1 209.5 .311 .310 .301 .301

2 209.3 .309 .310 .301 .301

3 209.2 .310 .310 .302 .301+

4 209.9 .309 .310 .302 .301+

Now, about NEI. I would like to commend them for making it right.

Blammer
05-12-2008, 10:23 PM
Along that note too. I also had to send back the two, 2C Iron mould 2 times. On the third set they got them very good.

LIMPINGJ
07-05-2008, 11:35 AM
Did anyone else have to send theirs back? I need to call becaues Istill have not got mine back.