PDA

View Full Version : A fun but likely expensive range day!

Mytmousemalibu
08-15-2015, 10:46 PM
So I organized a shoot over at my best buds house today for a small gathering of friends that enjoy firearms as much as I do to come out and have some fun! Bring whatever guns & ammo you wanted kind of affair! Just recently got a 100yrd "short range" area built and started on the long range berm that spans his property, we think its about 700yrd
give or take, we'll figure that out later. The long range is partially finished, the Bobcat popped a cylinder seal before I could finish it, but I am squeak free and well lubricated after that! Either range we will be able to easily vary the distance via shooting position. We took our turns handing off pistols for a while, always fun. One friend brought his Tristar T-120, a CZ75 clone made by Canik which I had been interested in test driving, nice gun for the $200 brand new cost! May have to get one also! Spent some time dusting some clays and I got to play with my brand new H&R Excell 12ga semi-auto, a Turkish built gun also, a Verona SX405 with a different name. It ran perfectly without a single problem right out of the box running WW Extra-lite target loads. I chucked the Modified choke in it and proceeded to lay the smackdown on the White Flyer's! Pretty happy with the gun for $300. I did order an oversized knurled charging handle for an AK type to stick on it. I will soon be ordering a Nordic Components mag tube & clamp for it and perhaps some nicer chokes down the road. It takes Rem chokes.

The most fun I had was when my other good friend decided to bring his Pedersoli Brown Bess and a custom built, left lock Tennessee rifle, .50cal. Just a beautiful looking gun! Both were a blast to shoot and embarrassingly the first time I have fired rock-locks! But after that experience it will most certainly not be my last! He even loaded the Bess up with shot and nailed a couple clays with it!

So I have been casually looking for my first flintlock. I would love a rifle & a musket at some point. A Charleville or Jaeger sounds pretty good to me right off the bat but for the sake of cost and also the experience of the build which I relish in such things, I want a kit. Cost wise a Traditions kit is tempting but I am a sucker for the finer things and authentic replicas of military guns are more appealing to me but it must be a flintlock, i'm not interested in a percussion gun right now unless it was the real deal, like an authentic Enfield. As the title states, this could get expensive! Feel free to enlighten me on the rock-lock kits!

Oh forgot to add, had to put a little lead in the LR berm, nailed an old oil filter setting in the berm face with my buds 5.56 AR with junk Tula steel from an estimated 700yrds! I'm no crack shot but that put a smile on my face!

runfiverun
08-15-2015, 11:39 PM
Flintlocks???
talk to Waksupi.
he'll hook you up.

Mytmousemalibu
08-16-2015, 03:07 AM
Thanks for the tip! Hopefully he will chime in then!

rancher1913
08-16-2015, 09:17 AM
we corrupted brassmagnet and brought him to the dark side now it seems we got you too.

runfiverun
08-16-2015, 12:50 PM
he might not chime in here, but I have seen some of the rifles he has built.
if he doesn't swing by give him a p.m.

oldfart1956
08-16-2015, 08:38 PM
Chris when you get a chance go to Track Of The Wolf's website and look at some kits. They might have a Jaeger kit, not sure. But it will give you at least an idea of cost and parts needed for a build. They sell quality...and it don't come cheap. I'd avoid any of the Italian imports in a flintlock. Also go to Muzzleloader Magazines forum...The Campfire. You don't have to join to read and some of the top name builders (an noobs as well) are there building guns. As you're leanings appear to be smoothbores also look at North Star Wests offerings. They make exceptional trade guns, and in kit form. Oh...and T.V.M. another fine place to go broke. Matt and Toni build some wonderful guns there. Audie...the Oldfart..

Mytmousemalibu
08-16-2015, 09:01 PM
we corrupted brassmagnet and brought him to the dark side now it seems we got you too.

Ahhh Yes! The smoke...... The Sound........ And the SMELL of Holy Black!
I didn't so much as bite the hook, more like swallowed the hook, line & sinker! I have dabbled in a little BP cartridges and shotshells but only with Pyrodex. I immediately loved the smell of real Black! Just something I loved about the process of loading and firing a flintlock, its just fun!

Mytmousemalibu
08-16-2015, 09:11 PM
Chris when you get a chance go to Track Of The Wolf's website and look at some kits. They might have a Jaeger kit, not sure. But it will give you at least an idea of cost and parts needed for a build. They sell quality...and it don't come cheap. I'd avoid any of the Italian imports in a flintlock. Also go to Muzzleloader Magazines forum...The Campfire. You don't have to join to read and some of the top name builders (an noobs as well) are there building guns. As you're leanings appear to be smoothbores also look at North Star Wests offerings. They make exceptional trade guns, and in kit form. Oh...and T.V.M. another fine place to go broke. Matt and Toni build some wonderful guns there. Audie...the Oldfart..

Thank you! Just the kind of info I was looking for! I have already been browsing Track's site and also Dixie Gun Works. I was also seeking advise on guns to look for or avoid and also places that are good to deal with and have reasonable prices. I'm more apt to go for a well made kit as I'll be putting in the time & effort to build it. I have been a video subscriber to Mike Beliveau's channel and he refer's to Dixie & Track a fair bit. I really liked his Charleville but a rifle is certainly not out of the question either.

Fergie
08-18-2015, 12:11 AM
I grew up shooting muzzleloaders and going to rendezvous events. Threw a hawk and knife better than a football.

Being that we are all OS dominant, but right handed, we have backwards locks.

This is my late Dad's Tennessee Rifle, with a good ol Siler lock.

They are very fun to shoot, and the local groups of Mountain Men are always great to be around.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v176/bergferg/IMG_0873_zpsbvjqmgaz.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/bergferg/media/IMG_0873_zpsbvjqmgaz.jpg.html)

Mytmousemalibu
08-18-2015, 02:49 AM
That is a beauty! My friend had his Tennessee rifle built with a left-lock because he is left handed and it makes it a little more unusual. I ask how historicaly accurate that would have been. I could go on the assumption that a person of wealth could have had one built for a left handed shooter which isn't hard to imagine. He said beings his rifle was a replica of a plain jane rifle that a fairly impoverished man would have to feed his family, the only reason it would likely have a left lock might be a surplus of left locks or difficulty in getting a standard right lock. He told me that in most cases left locks were for matched pairs of pistols for example, and a gunsmith might have had some on that occasion. I thought that was pretty neat. I wished I had taken a picture of his rifle. Even though it is a basic gun, iron furniture, no patch box, etc, it was still very well made and authentic.

waksupi
08-18-2015, 09:58 AM
Look at these;

http://www.northstarwest.com/products/early-english-trade-gun

Reasonably easy build, very versatile, and user friendly. This is my go-to gun for much of my shooting. I don't remember if these come in left handed. I know we build a couple models that are lefties, check out the catalog for other possibilities. For military, the Officer's Musket is nice, but takes a bit more talent to build.

Of course, I would also build you one....

44man
08-18-2015, 10:20 AM
What I used to build.146926146927146928
Today the Lyman flinter kit will be the most accurate. Made many for friends and all shoot lights out.

Mytmousemalibu
08-18-2015, 04:37 PM
Thank you Gentleman! That English Trade gun is a beauty! I will certainly be considering one!

44Man, that is drop dead gorgeous! I have the skills to put together a nice gun and do a great job but that level of skill with the carving and engraving is beyond me at this point! That is an art piece as much as it is a gun!

BrentD
08-19-2015, 09:37 AM
trackofthewolf.com is your friend (for both new or used complete rifles or parts).

Wayne Smith
08-19-2015, 12:56 PM
Look at these;

http://www.northstarwest.com/products/early-english-trade-gun

Reasonably easy build, very versatile, and user friendly. This is my go-to gun for much of my shooting. I don't remember if these come in left handed. I know we build a couple models that are lefties, check out the catalog for other possibilities. For military, the Officer's Musket is nice, but takes a bit more talent to build.

Of course, I would also build you one....

Go to the catalog. The Chief's Trade Gun is available in left hand.

Mytmousemalibu
08-19-2015, 02:19 PM
Decisions, decisions..... Oh boy!