PDA

View Full Version : Low cost / no cost lead by the ton

Rapidrob
08-15-2015, 09:46 PM
What bullet casters never think in a way of a lead source is X-Ray Service Companies. They install and de-install X-ray machines from hospitals and doctors offices. Many of the older machines have almost a ton of lead in the table and wall holder. Not for radiation protection ( there is nothing radioactive in X-Ray machines) but for counter weight.
If you call them you may get the lead which is alloyed close to Lyman#2 for a small fee and if you remove it from the machines
yourself with a socket set,you may get it for free.
I worked as a X-Ray field service engineer and have tons of lead for casting. Tons. After I told my shooting buddies about the lead up for grabs,they all have lead-for-life. You can too.

MrWolf
08-15-2015, 09:55 PM
That is a great idea. I will check on Monday places down by me. Thanks.

Budzilla 19
08-15-2015, 11:27 PM
Thank you,sir! Another avenue to explore.

RogerDat
08-16-2015, 09:28 AM
Hmmm. Very Inter-esting. (Arte Johnson voice)
Another avenue to check out thanks for sharing.

edler7
08-21-2015, 05:35 PM
X-Ray tables (especially fluoroscopy tables) and Bucky wall units have lots of counterweight. Bucky is not a brand, but what a certain piece of the equipment is called. X-Ray equipment is heavy and is counterbalanced well so that a 110 pound tech can move it around without busting a gut.

Pb4me
08-26-2015, 11:16 PM
A few years ago, an old local hospital was being refurbished for other uses. I stopped by and offered to dispose of all the lead in the two xray rooms. Both rooms had a layer of lead behind the sheetrock. After it was all over in a few weeks, we had over 6,000 pounds of soft lead. It was in sheets about 16 inches by a little over 40 inches.