PDA

View Full Version : lead score

blademasterii
08-15-2015, 08:02 PM
Father in law just gave me almost 15 gallons of wheel weights that have been in his garage for 25 years. He brought them down from new york. :D I might have the only remaining lead weights from new york/the island to be made into boolits. :D If it doesnt rain tomorrow i'm going to try to convert them into ingots. No sorting required.

Seeker
08-15-2015, 08:21 PM
You are a lucky man to have a father in law like him. Good for you.

lobowolf761
08-15-2015, 08:43 PM
Cool. Sounds great.

lightman
08-15-2015, 09:10 PM
Congrats on the Score. But, Beware! I was finding some Zinc wheelweights about that time. You should sort them to avoid contamination.

RogerDat
08-16-2015, 09:33 AM
Sort or keep the temperature low enough to not melt zinc. I prefer sorting with diagonal cutters but either one will work.

Just make sure your father in law doesn't take the empty bucket back without the environmental paperwork or any of the cast boolits. Way too dangerous for New York for mere mortals don't you know.

blademasterii
08-16-2015, 10:57 AM
Today looks good for the smelt. Didn't see anything that resembled a zinc weight or even iron and I hand transferred 2/3's of the bucket to other buckets by hand. I do try to keep the temp down but it is with a plumbers furnace and a large home made pot so hopefully no zinc. :D