PDA

View Full Version : Quality of products from years ago

oldred
08-15-2015, 02:30 PM
I just posted this on another forum and thought someone here might find it interesting, just something that happened recently that I found interesting.

I was installing brakes on an elderly neighbor's car and it was rather hot so I was sweating, noticing this he asked if I would like a fan? He then left to return with a box fan that immediately caught my eye, this thing must have weighed twenty pounds and looked kind of crude by today's standards but it was built like a tank! There was a metal GE tag riveted to the motor and not a piece of plastic in sight except for the switch knob which appeared to be well worn Bakelite (Spl ?), it ran flawlessly without any noticeable vibration and was very quite compared to the plastic *** sitting in my shop. I had to ask about this thing and found he and his wife bought it in 1959 at a local hardware store but he only laughed when I asked what it cost, he said he had no idea what the price was in dollars but it was probably rather expensive for the time. Anyway this thing has been used in their home every summer for the last 56 years and he said all they have done is to replace the cotton covered power cord and he had to, as he put it, "oil the motor a few years ago"!

Sometimes there is a lot of truth to "they just don't make'm like that anymore"!

Plate plinker
08-15-2015, 02:46 PM
Yep folks had on from the late sixties, wish I had it now ran like a champ.

oldred
08-15-2015, 02:55 PM
Before anyone (as happened "over there") starts to point out that I am being unrealistic let me point out that I fully understand WHY things have changed but that was not the intent of the thread. I just thought some might this delightful old antique interesting and to remember how things were once done.

jcwit
08-15-2015, 03:04 PM
I sleep with a fan, it has been running 24/7/36 for 25 plus years, Chinese made, lots of plastic, plastic blade, cost $9.99 way back when. We also have a 24 inch round Windmere fan than has been running every summer for over 30 years, purchased at Lowes on sale way back when for $39.99. It is all steel except for the on/off control and cord.

BTW, both are still available for approx. the same price!

butch2570
08-15-2015, 04:16 PM
I sleep with a fan, it has been running 24/7/36 for 25 plus years, Chinese made, lots of plastic, plastic blade, cost $9.99 way back when. We also have a 24 inch round Windmere fan than has been running every summer for over 30 years, purchased at Lowes on sale way back when for $39.99. It is all steel except for the on/off control and cord.

BTW, both are still available for approx. the same price! I'll BE.. I guess the ones I've encountered were made on the opposite side of China. They were pieces of junk.

kfarm
08-15-2015, 07:07 PM
Even tho things of yesteryear were built stronger in some sense look at the cars. Cars of today get over 100,000 try that with a 49 desoto ( my first) yes you could run it into a wall with no damage and how bout the 60 VW Karmin Gia I had in high school cool car for a kid but 50-60 mph was max if I remember hey no hardly any heat and didn't know what air was back then. I do miss the 45 mpg. All in all I'll stay with the **** we have now days.

jcwit
08-15-2015, 07:28 PM
I'll BE.. I guess the ones I've encountered were made on the opposite side of China. They were pieces of junk.

How's the computer you're typing on?

butch2570
08-15-2015, 07:49 PM
How's the computer you're typing on? Well , I can't compare a contemporary lap top against a old , hypothetical one from 1959. But I've seen several old typewriters from that era, that were built for stout . American Pride was still commonplace in the work force in that time period.

butch2570
08-15-2015, 07:57 PM
Before anyone (as happened "over there") starts to point out that I am being unrealistic let me point out that I fully understand WHY things have changed but that was not the intent of the thread. I just thought some might this delightful old antique interesting and to remember how things were once done. I have some hand tools mattocks, hoes, rakes shovels sledgehammers, mauls, axes, hand saws, that are very old and the quality of craftsmanship and the heft of those are far and away better than the new stuff bought at the box stores today, IMO.

jcwit
08-15-2015, 08:08 PM
Well , I can't compare a contemporary lap top against a old , hypothetical one from 1959. But I've seen several old typewriters from that era, that were built for stout . American Pride was still commonplace in the work force in that time period.

I don't think yo ever used a typewriter that was used, and used daily, and needed maintenance, weekly.

I have, while typing classified coversheets in the service.

American Pride, German Pride, English Pride, and all the others in workmanship, they all have it. So do the Japanese, and the Chinese are getting right there also is you wish to pay for it. Don't believe it? Compare a Kodak Camera form the 1950's, and a Japanese designed camera made in China from the 2000's. Want quality from anywhere? It's all in the $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$.

Lets not get onto the superior balance of a sledge hammer made in 1930 versus the balance of one made today. Or the balance of a shovel. LOL

Skunk1
08-15-2015, 09:32 PM
Almost everything I have is old. Built to last and repairable. My reloading equip is old (bair products and RCBS). guns are all old (bought a ar and put a clip through it but dont understand all the fuss over them. I like my old guns, cars and fans. The run, I can fix them and they have STYLE.

Ickisrulz
08-15-2015, 09:32 PM
I like the people who love classic cars...and then upgrade almost everything to modern standards.

smokeywolf
08-15-2015, 09:33 PM
When you go to Sears to buy a dishwasher, clothes washer or dryer, fridge, water heater, TV, they're hot to trot to sell you an extended warranty. Why, because the manufacturer is only covering that $500.00 dishwasher with a 12 month warranty because that is the amount of time that the manufacturer actually believes that that washer will operate reliably and flawlessly.

That manufacturer thinks you should pay $500.00 for a machine that the manufacturer believes will only be good for 12 months. That's $41.67 per month.

Every manufacturer that covers their product with a warranty, does not believe that their product will provide reliable and flawless service beyond that warranty.

butch2570
08-15-2015, 09:37 PM
I don't think yo ever used a typewriter that was used, and used daily, and needed maintenance, weekly.

I have, while typing classified coversheets in the service.

American Pride, German Pride, English Pride, and all the others in workmanship, they all have it. So do the Japanese, and the Chinese are getting right there also is you wish to pay for it. Don't believe it? Compare a Kodak Camera form the 1950's, and a Japanese designed camera made in China from the 2000's. Want quality from anywhere? It's all in the $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$.

Lets not get onto the superior balance of a sledge hammer made in 1930 versus the balance of one made today. Or the balance of a shovel. LOL The thread is , The quality of products from years ago. You seem to be hung up on more advancements from technology than the idea of the old products being built to last. The mention of a balanced hammer or shovel , is not even the standard by which I measure those tools... LOL I'm talking about using the old tools and not having big chunks of the hammers sliver off, rolling the edge over on a mattock because you have struck a rock , pulling the bow off the back of a rake on a small root, digging with a round point shovel and not curling the tip up.. I'm talking about the ability of the old goods to do their job and come back the next day for more. Or my Grandmas 1940 something GE fridge and who knows what model that old whirlpool wringer washer is ,which both still operate , in my parents garage, old stuff is great.

dragon813gt
08-15-2015, 10:22 PM
I like the people who love classic cars...and then upgrade almost everything to modern standards.

There is nothing wrong w/ RestoMods. Especially if you like driving the car. The early muscle cars handled like absolute garbage. Put a modern suspension under it and they become a monster. But I'm not a numbers matching type of guy and want all out performance. In stock period correct form they don't deliver.

Ickisrulz
08-15-2015, 11:15 PM
There is nothing wrong w/ RestoMods. Especially if you like driving the car. The early muscle cars handled like absolute garbage. Put a modern suspension under it and they become a monster. But I'm not a numbers matching type of guy and want all out performance. In stock period correct form they don't deliver.

Right, that was my point.

dragon813gt
08-15-2015, 11:21 PM
Right, that was my point.

W/ this thread I read it as you were being sarcastic. My apologies.

smokeywolf
08-16-2015, 01:04 AM
Look at the guns from the 19th century that we are still shooting. The Colt 1860 cap & ball, The Sharps, the Trapdoors that are still as serviceable today as they were 140 years ago.

In 1986 I was single pointing 1/4-20 threads on titanium round stock on a 1898 Hardinge Cataract tool room lathe. That lathe ran as smooth as silk.

A year ago I was contracted to set up a prototype machine shop. I bought a 35 year old Hardinge tool room lathe and had it cleaned up, repainted and regreased, instead of buying a modern chinese or taiwanese copy, because the brand new cheap foreign knock-off would need to be rebuilt after 3 years of commercial use.

starmac
08-16-2015, 03:14 AM
We live in a throw away society, my grandparants planned for something to last their lifetime when they bought it. I plan to maybe get home with it before it breaks these days. How many things have you bought in the last 10 years that wasn't worth the packageing it came, why do you think a lot of stuff is boxed up so that you can't actually put your hands on it or even get a good look at it until after you pay for it.
Even our automobiles are throw away today, it is true that you can get a lot of miles out of one these days, better mileage (sometimes) and more power out of less, but if I somehow lived another 60 years, I wouldn't expect to see many folks restoring a 2015 focus. lol

Teddy (punchie)
08-16-2015, 05:19 AM
older tractors from 50's and into the early 70's were some of the best made. Some, a few around recorded 8,000 hours , couple 10,000 and then 806 IHC is the too have been the best tractor for it size.

Me I,m and AC man have had some bad lucky lately, but a WD will run and run, we had one we put 200-300 hours a year for 20 years and she was 20 years old when Pap bot it. I use it for 25 years for odd work, 50-100 hrs/yr. Made a mistake left in field and can didn't cover the manifold right and she froze.

jcwit
08-16-2015, 06:02 AM
Well folks, go live in the past if you wish, I'll live in the present with what we have in today's world and market and with the advancements we have. My last car had just short of 300,000 miles when it had it,s first breakdown. I'm into air rifles at present, never before in history have we had the selection of precision air guns we have today. If in fact the products of the past are so great tell me this, why are the National Matches won with rifles & ammo produced today.

I'll take me throw away auto any day, with it's 40 mug drivetrain & air conditioning over old tech and a stick shift in today's traffic.

Go ahead and live in the past, bothers me none!

jcwit
08-16-2015, 06:33 AM
Regarding old guns, I happen to like them also, I own the old Mausers, Springfields, Garands, Sharps and on and on, in my collection.

But in today's world the 1,000 yd. match is held by a modern rifle placing 5 shots inside on 1.403 inches, now Mayhap the rife will not hold up for 50 years, but the trophy will on the winners shelf.

William Yanda
08-16-2015, 07:35 AM
Then one considers how many were made and how many now reside in landfills or have been recycled.
If every one ever made were still running, there would be no demand for product from China.

Teddy (punchie)
08-16-2015, 08:01 AM
hey couple of questions about the 300,000 mile cars of today. We do get an average of twice the miles your right there But look and answer these questions if you would.

Do you work on them?

Do you change or oil/filter?

Do you change your plugs?

Do to replace the timing belt/chain?

Do you change out the starter?

Do you change the water Pump?

Do you change the radiator or fan?

Lights and changing bulbs?

Fuse systems and wiring?

Replacing computer controls, pilot controls ?

I would have to say the brakes of today are on average easier.

Sure does drive me nuts on how and why they do somethings the way they do. Had a Nissan needed a 20 dallar gasket 500.00 later is was change, an the garage said not looking to do any more any time soon. Days of the average person trying to change parts is getting fewer and fewer. If not for good parts person, and garage Mechanic owner that has knowledge to ask question I would have to let someone else do most of this list.

Love Life
08-16-2015, 08:08 AM
How many of you all want the medicine and medical practices from the early 1900s?

jcwit
08-16-2015, 08:24 AM
Do you work on them? I wash them!

Do you change or oil/filter? Yup, oil every 5 to 7,500 miles - filter every other oil change

Do you change your plugs? Every 100,000 to 120,000 miles

Do to replace the timing chain? Nope

Do you change out the starter? Seldom if ever.

Do you change the water Pump? If needed, maybe once

Do you change the radiator or fan? Never

Lights and changing bulbs? When needed

Fuse systems and wiring? No

Replacing computer controls, pilot controls ? Never

So there you are!

Heck I remember needing to do a ring & valve job every 30/50 thousand miles back in the 40's/50's.

jcwit
08-16-2015, 08:25 AM
How many of you all want the medicine and medical practices from the early 1900s?

Not me, that's for sure!

jcwit
08-16-2015, 08:30 AM
Sure does drive me nuts on how and why they do somethings the way they do. Had a Nissan needed a 20 dallar gasket 500.00 later is was change, an the garage said not looking to do any more any time soon. Days of the average person trying to change parts is getting fewer and fewer. If not for good parts person, and garage Mechanic owner that has knowledge to ask question I would have to let someone else do most of this list.

U Tube and your computer/google should be your friend, repairing most everything on most every car is on there.

jcwit
08-16-2015, 08:42 AM
I don't repair my cars myself anymore because of my age and unable to crawl around under them, however I do change my own oil & filter.

Geraldo
08-16-2015, 08:46 AM
For any younger people who might be reading, the past wasn't as cool as nostalgia portrays it.

Freightman
08-16-2015, 09:39 AM
Good old days! worked 105 hrs one week 102 the next week i mean hard physical labor, pay check for the two weeks was $189.97 GOOD OLD DAYS! no thinks!regular pay check was $47.90 a week house payment was $55 car payment was $29.95 add that up, now figure gas lights and water don't leave much for food. GOOD OL DAYS! OK :? Didn't leave anything for ammo, loading presses, dies or even guns. GOOD OL DAYS! NO THANKS!

Love Life
08-16-2015, 09:41 AM
For any younger people who might be reading, the past wasn't as cool as nostalgia portrays it.

I reckoned as much.

blackthorn
08-16-2015, 09:43 AM
I have posted this before, but I think it pretty much says it all!:

Those who pine for the long ago --- should remember the outhouse at 40 below!

Beef15
08-16-2015, 10:04 AM
I have posted this before, but I think it pretty much says it all!:

Those who pine for the long ago --- should remember the outhouse at 40 below!
Sir that's still a reality and quite common where I used to live, 2nd largest city in the state, lots of dry cabins just outside town. However, remote controlled outlets for electric space heaters have made some of them more tolerable.

Cars are better mechanically for the most part, 200k mi plus is not uncommon, with only PMs and minor repairs. Some manufacturers here lately are computerizing things they shouldn't and making simple problems complex though, so that may change soon.

Lots of other things are total junk, but I believe it is primarily due to making a product to meet a price (thanks box stores) while maintaining a level of profit, for an uneducated consumer.

Seriously, how much more time would it take to select a proper grain shovel handle then orient it right? There's a lot of little things that make a big difference that aren't commonly done on consumer goods these days.

GhostHawk
08-16-2015, 10:28 AM
Once a year our town has a "clean up week" where you could put anything you wanted to get rid of on your curb and the city would pick it up and haul it away. When we were newly wed my wife and I would go "free shopping" on the curb.

For years one of our favorite finds would be good old fashioned steel box fans. Replace the cord if needed, clean it up, if it started and ran give it a touch of oil and call it good. A few times parts in the switch would be corroded, ussually I would rewire it to a single speed and call it good. We have one of those that has run every summer for 18 years, needed cleaning and oiling twice.

My wife has one of those plastic ones with a remote, it is noisy on high speed and the blades spin themselves flat after a year or 2.

They do make new fans with steel blades, 3 speed, good design, and they seem to last. Wife has one that has been running in her laudry room for 6 years with only minor cleaning and oil.

So for about the same price you can have cheap plastic that stops mocing air with remote. Or good steel with no frills, but will be blowing air 10 years from now. Or you can invest some sweat equity in a curbside pickup that may be 30 years old, that moves more air, quieter, for longer than you can imagine, than any other fan you have evere seen. Choice is yours

Elkins45
08-16-2015, 10:44 AM
What nostalgics don't always consider is that a sample size of one doesn't necessarily reflect the whole production lot. That particular fan was probably only one of thousands that came off the assembly line. How many of them are still spinning away somewhere? For all we know this may be the only example on the planet that's still working.

Older stuff is usually heavier, I will grant you that, but that doesn't always mean stronger or better. Metallurgy has taken great leaps in just the last few years. In fact, I'm trying really hard to think of stuff that used to be better. About the only ones that I can come up with are washers and dryers. Some of today's units are indeed too flimsy to last. I'm not sure about refrigerators. Ours came with the house, so it's about 20 years old. The ice maker didn't work when we moved in but everything else did. It quit working in the spring but I managed to bring it back to life with a $44 electrical part. Our water heater ruptured and the air conditioner needed a $35 capacitor within just a few months of the fridge, so it seems like 20 years is how long most of our stuff can go without needing a little tweaking. Honestly, that's not bad IMO.

I can come up with a long list of modern stuff that's better. I'm considering "better" to be more functional and longer lasting, not necessarily more asthetically pleasing. Guns, for example can be more accurate today because manufacturing tolerances can be more tightly controlled, but there's less of the hand fitting that people love. Hand cut checkering and deep polished blueing don't make guns more accurate but to many it makes them "better". My mom had a 57 Chevy that was a great looking car, but it was a worn out shell before it made it to 80K miles. My 07 Corolla just passed 138K and still has the factory rear brake shoes.

Stuff that is objectively better:

Cars, knives, cameras, computers, almost all electronic devices, medicine, optics

Stuff that probably isn't:

Washers, dryers, refrigerators, some hand tools, home construction

Teddy (punchie)
08-16-2015, 10:46 AM
Basically it is harder to work on most equipment of today then it was even 30 years ago. I seen an oil filter take hour to get off, no room to work and not have the right size oil filter socket. Plugs where you have to all but pull the engine. Water pump, power steering pump, alternator, condenser and the like take hours to change 30-35 years ago no huge deal. Not to say all the special tools of today.

Most of the good times of today are coming at what cost? Where did all these great jobs come from hard work, hours of hard labor? Government has been holding our economics up for so long the dept is so bad here and across the globe. Yes time are the best we have seen across the boards. But most of the old timer I have talked to see the writing on the walk. They would take back the 20's late 40's 50's most around here say the 70's into early 80's. Add up the drugs, chemicals (GM), and economics, we are heading into a mess.

Elkins45
08-16-2015, 11:56 AM
hey couple of questions about the 300,000 mile cars of today. We do get an average of twice the miles your right there But look and answer these questions if you would.

Do you work on them? Yep

Do you change or oil/filter? Yep

Do you change your plugs? Yep

Do to replace the timing belt/chain? Haven't had to replace a chain, won't buy one with a belt

Do you change out the starter? Haven't needed to

Do you change the water Pump? Haven't needed to unless you count the 1967 Impala I was driving in 1981

Do you change the radiator or fan? Haven't needed to

Lights and changing bulbs? Yep

Fuse systems and wiring? Haven't needed to

Replacing computer controls, pilot controls ? Haven't needed to

I would have to say the brakes of today are on average easier. I wish my car had rear disc instead of drums, but I can still do both

I decided to replace the intake manifold gasket on my Corolla because I was getting a rough idle on days when the temperature was around 0. It's a known problem that the factory ones get stiff after a few years and the parts contract apart in the cold. I watched a YouTube video, bought the replacement gasket for $7 and 90 minutes later I had it all back together. I hardly consider myself a mechanic, but so far I have been pretty fortunate that I have fixed all the stuff that has needed it.

Ickisrulz
08-16-2015, 02:08 PM
I do miss the days of being able to get a simple, usable gas can.

dragon813gt
08-16-2015, 02:24 PM
The issues w/ cars is CANBUS and touch screens. CANBUS is how everything talks. And unfortunately things that shouldn't talk are. This is going to make it harder and harder for a person to work on their own vehicle.

Then we have touch screens. All fine and dandy when they work. But they are removing conventional controls for items like the HVAC system. So when the touch screen goes that means a lot of other things stop working. These screens aren't cheap. And when the government mandate to supply parts ends the price is only going to go up. Imagine having to pay $10,000 to replace on of these screens. That's about the current price for one such screen in a Lexus SUV.

This type of thing is one hundred percent planned obsolescence. Let's pray this country doesn't adopt inspection regiments like Japan to keep domestic production up. The older the cars get the more often they need to be inspected, think quarterly. This is to force you to buy a new vehicle.

That's enough derailing. I like old firearms as much as the next guy. But I prefer to carry a modern polymer pistol over an old revolver. It's hard to buy a new production rifle that isn't MOA out of the box.

How many of you are going to pine for a vehicle produced in the 80s like you do for one built in the 50s or 60s? While an AE86 has a cult following it's not a '59 Impala.

Love Life
08-16-2015, 03:15 PM
I would love have my old 1981 Ford LTD back. There would be 9 of us in that car, gas pedal to the floor, cigarette smoke rolling out the windows! Made it from Austin, MN to Rochester, MN in record time.

dragon813gt
08-16-2015, 03:34 PM
My first car was a maroon 1985 Toyota Camry hatchback. Had two 12" Pioneer subs pushed by 800 amps. That thing thumped. I have a sentimental attachment to that car because my parents bought it new and I grew up in it. I know collector cars will change as the years go by. I just don't see 80s vehicles having the draw the current ones do. Only time will tell. There are a few exceptions. Buy all the NSXs you can now while they are still reasonable. Everyone I grew up w/ had a poster of one on their wall.

Love Life
08-16-2015, 03:38 PM
I remember my brothers first car was a Geo Metro. Max speed of 65 with the AC on. His whole cargo part and backseat were electronics and speakers. I'm surprised we can both still hear!! I guess classic is in the eye of the beholder. I buy ghetto blasters and actively search for a near mint 1981 ford LTDs or older near mint El Caminos.

mold maker
08-16-2015, 04:27 PM
You guys make me feel old, talking about those old 70-80s vehicles.
My first was a 48 Plymouth. And no i don't want the darn thing back.
I spent as much time keeping it together as I did driving it. OK I didn't buy it new, and it had almost 1K in the speedo, but it was all i could afford while paying for college.
The first vehicle I bought new was a 73 Suburban. It would and did cross rivers an would almost climb a pine tree. After 300K I traded it for an 03 Dodge. It will never make the miles of the Sub. It's already had more parts replaced than the Sub and it's never been off the hard top.

Love Life
08-16-2015, 04:39 PM
I believe the line between being young and old is if you were able to buy guns through the mail or not...

blackthorn
08-16-2015, 04:41 PM
First car---49 Chevy---LEMON! Second/Third cars 48 five passenger coupes---great cars! Always had one in my garage/shop being fixed (by me), so that when the one I was driving developed a problem I could just switch plates and keep on going. Paid $50.00 for one and $15.00 for the other. The cheap one sat in a guy's field for months until I went and asked him if it was for sale. He thought the motor had come loose from its mounts and moved forward so that the fan hit the rad. This is impossible of course so when I got it my brother in law and I just moved the fan back on the shaft, tightened it up, threw some gas in the tank, fired it up and drove it out of there. Drove those two cars for almost four years, until some guy ran into the back of one of them in the fog. Got a hundred and twenty five for it from the insurance co. and I got to keep the car for parts.

butch2570
08-16-2015, 04:52 PM
I had a 98 ford ranger that I bought new , had a 4.0 , 5 speed 4x4, I just junked it. Had 322,000 miles on it, engine and trans ( clutch was replaced at 210,000) and diffs all original , the body and frame was shot and it finally lost it's slave cylinder, it was no longer worth fixing. Was this average? I think not...I'm not saying every single thing of yester year is better , but some things clearly were built better. Fuel injection and air filtration of today clearly contribute to the mileages of today. I doubt many people of the 1920s- 60s ever seen 322,000 miles regardless what they drove.
Been married for 23 yrs , I don't know the pots and pans my wife has went through. My mother is still using her grandmothers Wagner, Wapuk, Griswald skillets/ fryers, that are far finer skillets than this Lodge stuff of today ,IMO. Old Waring Aluminum pots and cookers you could beat a ox to death with and then boil potatoes in them . How long has it been since you canned outdoors in a Wash Tub, that you could set on 4 cinder blocks and the bottom was strong enough to hold itself, the last one I bought a few years ago had cigarette paper for the bottom and leaked around the seam new but it still had a shiny price tag.. I have not seen a new production apple butter cooker compare to quality of the old one my mother uses either. Glass ?? I have old coke bottles here that I think a bb gun would just chip, the new ones??? Canning Jars? The most of the ones today are not of the same quality. Yes we are blessed today with quality in alot of things, but the old stuff has some of its own..Oh I almost forgot , the outhouse thing , I work outside and it gets plenty cold here, and we still use the porta -jons, not really a big deal, when you gotta go..

FISH4BUGS
08-16-2015, 05:03 PM
All you need to see is to compare the quality of any S&W, Colt or High Standard firearm from about the 60's and earlier with today's guns. The workmanship and fitting of parts was superb and the only way to get that quality today is to build a custom gun.
If you go to a pre WW2 era, you simply cannot duplicate the quality today. If you have ever handled a big old S&W TripleLock, a pre-war M&P target, a Colt New Service Target or Officer's Model Match or similar gun, you know what I mean.
I am fortunate to own a 1964 Hammond A105 organ with matching Leslie 251 speaker. If you know Hammonds that is the era of perfection in tone wheel generator Hammonds. Impossible to duplicate today.
My daily driver 1987 Mercedes 300d diesel with 415,000 miles on it.....try getting that kind of mileage out of a car today.
No, they simply don't make them (or anything) like that any more.

jcwit
08-16-2015, 05:17 PM

If you have Menards in your area they sell a kit in a bag that has nozzles that will convert and you will need to drill a 1/2 in hole for the vent cap, it will snap into the hole and not leak.

Hope this helps.

Love Life
08-16-2015, 05:38 PM
All you need to see is to compare the quality of any S&W, Colt or High Standard firearm from about the 60's and earlier with today's guns. The workmanship and fitting of parts was superb and the only way to get that quality today is to build a custom gun.
If you go to a pre WW2 era, you simply cannot duplicate the quality today. If you have ever handled a big old S&W TripleLock, a pre-war M&P target, a Colt New Service Target or Officer's Model Match or similar gun, you know what I mean.
I am fortunate to own a 1964 Hammond A105 organ with matching Leslie 251 speaker. If you know Hammonds that is the era of perfection in tone wheel generator Hammonds. Impossible to duplicate today.
My daily driver 1987 Mercedes 300d diesel with 415,000 miles on it.....try getting that kind of mileage out of a car today.

The smith revolvers today offend my sensibilities. I planned on buying one of their new 25-15 45 Colt revolvers, but all the new in box ones I saw looked like somebody cut the turn line in on a lathe. Then there is the *** performance center gun I bought years back that was so craptastic it's hard to describe.

Elkins45
08-16-2015, 05:41 PM

But they are generally no more accurate than a production gun bought today.

Again, they were hand fitted because the machines that made them weren't accurate enough to make parts that were truly interchangeable. They are certainly nice, but probably not any better as shooters than a new gun today.

Don't know anything about this.

Sure they do. You are comparing a car that probably cost 2-3 times what an average car cost. My brother has a 2000 Toyota pickup that is over 300K and is still running fine.

I have to disagree, especially with your car example. There are all sorts of cars being made today that can potentially last just as long. You are comparing a premium vehicle to normal production cars. And this is certainly the first time I've seen anyone refer to a car from the late 80's as the "good old days" of carmaking.

Elkins45
08-16-2015, 05:46 PM

http://www.ebay.com/itm/20-Yellow-Fuel-Gas-Can-Jug-Vent-Cap-Blitz-Wedco-Scepter-Essence-Midwest-Eagle-/251427644765?hash=item3a8a41655d

JonB_in_Glencoe
08-16-2015, 06:09 PM
This is a timely thread.
I owned lots of power hand drills...many are in the trash.

The heavily "used" one in the photo below, I thought was a Black and Decker, and it may be?, but what's left of the tag says JCPenny. I suspect my Dad bought it in the early 70s. It is a Hammer drill, it got used plenty. IIRC, my dad brought it to my house (an old brick house I bought in 1986), to help me rebuild an external stairway to the second floor, so I could rent out the upstairs apartment.

At the end of that weekend, he left the drill with me, it got lots of use while I lived in that old brick house ...and beyond, til I borrowed it to someone who didn't know how to properly tighten a chuck and wore it excessively. Long ago, I removed that chuck, but a new China drill was cheaper then a replacement chuck, so I never bought a chuck, (the old drill got put in the back corner of the cabinet, and that is where I just dug it out of, to take this photo) I bought that China drill, and have bought many China drills since then, as that's when I started going through drills. And to be honest, I kind of forgot about this drill til this week...

Anyway, back to this week:
I bought this seemingly NOS "Skil" hammer drill at a garage sale last Wednesday for $8. The date codes on the various papers (manual and warranty) range from '72 to '77. There were many items at this sale, that I'd call NOS and I was told by the seller, that her husband use to own a Coast to Coast Hdwe store. I was a great sale, I wish I could have been there when she first opened, I'm sure I would have spent lots of money.

It appears the Skil is identical to my Dads drill, and it may be the last small hammer drill I'll need to buy, and I guess I don't need to look for a new chuck, and I can quit using the current China drill that I have, with a chincy keyless chuck.
http://i640.photobucket.com/albums/uu127/JonB_in_Glencoe/Old%20and%20NOS%20Skil%20hammer%20drill%20with%20b ox%20and%20papers_zpssuhovmba.jpg (http://s640.photobucket.com/user/JonB_in_Glencoe/media/Old%20and%20NOS%20Skil%20hammer%20drill%20with%20b ox%20and%20papers_zpssuhovmba.jpg.html)

http://i640.photobucket.com/albums/uu127/JonB_in_Glencoe/NOS%20Skil%20hammer%20drill%20with%20box%20and%20p apers_zps1gdetxdm.jpg (http://s640.photobucket.com/user/JonB_in_Glencoe/media/NOS%20Skil%20hammer%20drill%20with%20box%20and%20p apers_zps1gdetxdm.jpg.html)

Ed K
08-16-2015, 06:34 PM

I've taken a 220D, 300D & 300SD each to over 300K. Cars were still good except the rust finally got them. Two years ago I purchased a low-mileage creme-puff 1995 Dodge 2500 Cummins diesel pickup down south. Basically got laughed at by friends and relatives. 20 years old and I wouldn't think of trading it for a new one.

garym1a2
08-16-2015, 06:58 PM
My 88 Lincon mk7 was a great car. One of my favorites.

I have to disagree, especially with your car example. There are all sorts of cars being made today that can potentially last just as long. You are comparing a premium vehicle to normal production cars. And this is certainly the first time I've seen anyone refer to a car from the late 80's as the "good old days" of carmaking.

Petrol & Powder
08-16-2015, 07:04 PM
I've had a few diesels including a 1995 Dodge 3/4 ton 4wd, similar to Ed K's above and a Mercedes 300D; good engines in both. The Cummins straight 6 turbo diesel was bullet proof but the rest of the truck was a repair waiting to happen. Ed K, if you haven't found Geno's Garage on the internet yet, I suggest you do. The good news is those 2nd generation Dodge diesels used the 12 valve (2 valves per cylinder) Cummins and a mechanical injector pump. That version of the Cummins was the toughest. It didn't make as much power as the 24 valve models that had the common rail injection but they never break.
The Mercedes was a great car, 5 cylinder turbo diesel. I loved it, my now ex wife hated it. Should have kept the car and got rid of the wife sooner.

Some older stuff was great, some not so much and some new stuff is far better than the old stuff. I like a mix of old and new and buy the quality that I can afford and justify.

Ickisrulz
08-16-2015, 07:37 PM
If you have Menards in your area they sell a kit in a bag that has nozzles that will convert and you will need to drill a 1/2 in hole for the vent cap, it will snap into the hole and not leak.

Hope this helps.

Thanks. I have seen those, but have other complaints. The cans today fall over in the back of a truck because they do not have a wider bottom. The plastic also swells a lot in the heat and I have lost one or two due to broken seems. Those aftermarket nozzles and vents are nice, but kind of expensive to get a $15 product to work.

I just got a metal Justrite can for diesel fuel. It doesn't tip over in the back of the pickup and will fit inside my tool box too. I used the attached funnel and didn't care for it much. On my next use I'll just pour it straight from the can into the tank on my tractor. The fuel filler opening is big enough.

dragon813gt
08-16-2015, 08:16 PM
Canning jars today aren't as good as old ones? I guess some people like to complain. I have a mix of old and new. Can't tell the difference besides the wear marks on the old ones. Also doesn't matter that much because the lids are what seal it up. Unless you bought a lot of them twenty years ago you're using new production ones. But honestly, it's a glass jar and they're cheap. Is there a reason to complain about them?

jcwit
08-16-2015, 08:22 PM

I had a few years ago a Dodge Caravan that finally crapped out at just under 300,000 miles, course it didn't cost as much as your MB.

Only major thing I had done to it was a new exhaust system.

Ed K
08-16-2015, 08:22 PM
The Cummins straight 6 turbo diesel was bullet proof but the rest of the truck was a repair waiting to happen.

Your point on the shortcomings of the rest of the truck are well taken and something I've come to understand. Thankfully with the rugged manual transmission, there's not much else that I can't handle myself. If I were buying a pickup truck based upon the merits of the chassis, I'd probably choose Ford first followed by GM.

However contrast that situation with the present one involving the wife's Ford explorer: The computer has an intermittent internal fault that does not have any safety or emissions related implications which Ford acknowledges is a design flaw however will not address. Of course I cannot fix it myself and am presently pursuing a waiver from the DMV in hopes to avoid having to buy another together with programming from the dealer. The cost of the "remedy" (to a reliable daily driver) is 1/2 the purchase price of the Dodge...

country gent
08-16-2015, 08:38 PM
We have an old dayton electric hand drill that was my Grandfathers, 3/4" chuck on it steel case and heavy as all get out. We used to open the hitch pin holes in trycks up with it replace the screw in pipe handle with a long one to catch the tire. Set drill on a siccors jack and start cranking up. Never can remeber stalling it out. Not sure how old it is but it still runs great. Weve used it for many jobs and its never failed.

smokeywolf
08-16-2015, 09:38 PM
My go to circular saw is a "Mall" Saw that Dad bought new in the early 1950s. I replaced the power cord on it in about 1986.

butch2570
08-16-2015, 10:22 PM
Canning jars today aren't as good as old ones? I guess some people like to complain. I have a mix of old and new. Can't tell the difference besides the wear marks on the old ones. Also doesn't matter that much because the lids are what seal it up. Unless you bought a lot of them twenty years ago you're using new production ones. But honestly, it's a glass jar and they're cheap. Is there a reason to complain about them?Yeah I have dozens of boxes of very old canning jars and they are heavier and more tolerant of the heat, compared to the newer ones, hardly ever see one bust in the canner or chip around the mouth, has nothing to with complaining, it's an opinion. As matter of fact I see you posting your opinion on here all the time ...The ones I bought up 25 yrs ago and belonged to very elderly women and were quite old.

gandydancer
08-17-2015, 12:09 AM
I like old guns. fine cigars. good whisky of all kinds.old cars and old air planes. and new guns.cars.planes. good whiskey.cigars/ & fine woman.also any and all technology and hope to live another 25 years to enjoy more of it as it comes about.

Kent Fowler
08-17-2015, 11:16 AM
My mother worked for Goodyear Tire and Rubber during WWII. Roosevelt told the powers that be to keep the tire and rubber workers very happy, so Goodyear had a company store which sold items that were pretty much unavailable to the general public. Mother bought a Frigidaire reefer from the store in 1942 and it was still running when she passed away iin 1983. Sister gave it to her friend and 10 years later it was still running. On an aside, my mother would buy a tire from the store every Friday and get on the bus for home. She said she would sell the tire before she got off the bus. She claimed that's how she sent my dad to dental school after the war.

GRUMPA
08-17-2015, 11:35 AM
Personally.......here's my take on the old vs new.

Back when folks were geared on buying something once, and "IF" it broke the parts were available to fix whatever it was. Most of the time all it took was a working knowledge of what a socket wrench can do as well as a screwdriver. Things back then were pretty much SIMPLE.

Now we enter the electronics age........

Let's face it a car is a car, it gets you from point "A" to point "B".

There's so much electronics on them that it takes a $100K machine to tell the parts changer (AKA Mechanic) what to replace. With the way some folks are now..... that socket wrench and screwdriver are things they saw in a picture book growing up.

I just see it as things got overly complicated whereas things back in the day were "Basic".

I can go on and on but this is just the beginning as the newer age is pretty much geared on just buying another whatever.