PDA

View Full Version : Bullets and loads for 375 Win

wallacem
08-15-2015, 11:44 AM
I have a TC Contender carbine in 375 Win., and am starting to work up some cast loads. I have, sitting on the shelf, some cast .378 dia 245 and 265gr plain base bullets. I imagine they were intended for 38-55, but thinking they should work in the 375. First, am I right? Second, do any of you have a suggestion for loads for these bullets? Thanks for your help. Wallacem in Ga

JFE
08-15-2015, 04:44 PM
If the bullets were made for the 38/55 (most likely) the crimp groove will be different compared that for a 375 Win. They will still work though. As the throat in a 375 Win is quite large I like to use as large a diameter bullet that will still chamber. This helps to centralize the bullet in the chamber even though the bullet may not be close to the end of the throat.

If the bullets are designed for high velocity/pressure loads, for full power loads you can use something like H4198 or Rel 7. I use Rel 7 and like it because it is accurate over a wide range of velocities. I am not sure how strong a TC carbine is but I would suggest starting at 25 gr and work up. The advantage you have in a single shot is you can play with the OAL.

If you are looking for a mild plinking load then 6.5gr of Red Dot works really well and if you are looking for something in between, then try loading around 16-18 gr of 2400.

wallacem
08-15-2015, 09:03 PM
That is good starting info JFE. The TC contender is not a strong frame. It is mainly intended for pistol cartridges. I would guess that the 375 is on the upper end for the frame. I do not want a max power level load. Just a low end one is fine. I was sorta thinking that 38-55 loads would work great. Wallacem in Ga

runfiverun
08-15-2015, 11:09 PM
in rifle type guns 1400 fps is about all I could coax from the plain based molds.
9-10 grs of unique would get you there.