PDA

View Full Version : What is this stuff?

Hooker53
08-15-2015, 09:35 AM
I looked for a thread that would explain this and if it's here, I missed it. I looks like lead. It's as heavy as lead. It melts at slightly below 700 but when it's cooling in the ingot mould, it cracks and flakes out in small flat sheets. It would not just drop out of the mould. It also left a residue in the ingot mould I like to never have cleaned up. To be safe I didn't get this mixed into my REAL lead, I cleaned the lead furnace pot well. Anyone seen this stuff? Thanks.

Roy
Hooker53

bangerjim
08-15-2015, 11:06 AM
Time for an x-ray gun shoot at your local scrap yard...........if you have a decent amount of it to use. If just a small quantity, throw it away.

Sorry, but my psychic lead analysis crystal ball is not working today! :bigsmyl2:

Yodogsandman
08-15-2015, 05:19 PM
Where'd you get it? Need more info.

RogerDat
08-16-2015, 09:43 AM
A picture of the source material or of the ingots might help folks provide a better quality of idle speculation. XRF gun at the scrap yard will provide the solid poop.

Hooker53
08-16-2015, 10:38 AM
Yep Gents. I have a sorse for that gun and sending a bit to the one that has it. It came from a small time scrap yard and my discription of it was all I had. It was one big rounded chunk. Kinda reminded me of something that would have been in a small sailboat soooo, no telling what it was. As far as what it looks like in I got form, kinda reminded me of one of the brothers, Cerrabend or Cerrasafe but the melting point was way off for them. At the present, I don't have a good way to post a photo. I'm working on that as well. Ha. When I find out I will report back and thanks for the post.

Roy
Hooker53

runfiverun
08-16-2015, 01:29 PM
there ain't too many things that are actually as heavy as lead.