PDA

View Full Version : Mould handles

sniper
03-30-2008, 09:40 PM
When I picked up my RCBS mould, I also had the chance to buy two mould handles at a good price. Good shape, Brand X...no name, could be Lee?

They came with a bunch of little washers, which I assume are to be used to shim the handles if they do not fit the moulds exactly.

What is the proper way to do this? Shim so the handles are in the middle of the block grooves, or put one leg against the top or bottom of the groove, shim it, then shim the other block for minimum play wherever the handle is positioned in the groove?

Will this sort of arrangement cause any potential problems with the operation of the moulds? It's likely I will be buying Lyman and/or RCBS in the future.

Thanks

Morgan Astorbilt
03-30-2008, 11:05 PM
I'd put the washers on the bottom, so the mold blocks ride on the handles.
Morgan

montana_charlie
03-31-2008, 02:36 PM
They came with a bunch of little washers, which I assume are to be used to shim the handles if they do not fit the moulds exactly.
Sounds very much like a pair of handles I bought through one of the gun auction sites. Cost was around six bucks.

Turns out they are the same handles pinned into the everyday Lee SC moulds...with jaws about 1/8th thick.

I used thick aluminum to make shims (instead of using the washers). I made the shims with the same profile as the jaws, so the full length of the mould slot is filled with supporting metal...as though the jaws were of normal thickness.

I have 'good' handles now, so the skinny ones are set aside. But, if I put them back in service I will 'glue' the shims to the bottom surfaces of the jaws using red Loc-Tite.
CM