PDA

View Full Version : Wow! My LBT mold just arrived.

AbitNutz
08-15-2015, 07:50 AM
I ordered a totally custom LBT mold on 8-5-2015. I received it on 8-14-2015. That included time in the mail! In case you didn't know, Veral doesn't take credit cards so I had to mail him a money order. So it took nine days to receive my order, including time in the mail from Ohio to Idaho, making the mold, then from Idaho to Ohio. He must have started making the mold the instant he opened my letter.

And when I say custom, I really mean it. I went with LBT because I wanted to try a true spitzer design. He is one of the few mold makers that offer that. I went with a .459, 350gr spitzer with a .6 ogive, multiple lube grooves and a gas check. Veral is more than happy to guide you on what works and what won't.

This is a pretty light bullet for a .45 but it should still offer a pretty high BC. I'll let you all know how it performs in my Lyman-Pedersoli 1878 (Sharps 1877) re-chambered in 450 Nitro Express.

I should be able to push the bullet to better than 1900fps (likely a lot more using 5744 in a 30" barrel but 1900fps is the prob the limit the bullet can take) and still be well below 30,000 psi.

So if you're wondering what my demented brain has in mind. It looks like I should be able to get Ruger No.1 45/70 velocities in my Sharps. I'm trying to find the delicate balance of flat shooting (or as flat as you can get with a 45 cal) and lower recoil....and hoping it will be reasonably accurate. Hey...it's all fun, right?

The only odd thing I noticed about the mold is that its halves fit together EXTREMELY TIGHTLY. I'm hoping that when I thoroughly clean it and work it around a bit it loosens up. As it is, I'm afraid they may not close completely and I get some finning.

osteodoc08
08-15-2015, 09:21 AM
Veral makes some awesome molds. I have a few.

captaint
08-15-2015, 09:44 AM
Your alignment pins will break in after a while. Just keep them lubricated with Bullplate or synthetic 2 stroke oil.

RobS
08-15-2015, 10:00 AM
I've had Veral make me molds as well and have been very pleased with the overall mold and customer service. The only thing I don't care for is the roll pins for the male alignment pins and just a simple hole in the aluminum block for female end. This system of mold alignment does work but needs as been stated break in time and mold lube. If you don't want your mold to be all black looking then don't use his small sticks of lube that may have came with the mold rather use Bullplate or synthetic 2 cycle engine oil.

Happy Casting!!! :cbpour:

AbitNutz
08-15-2015, 12:28 PM
Good to know. I have Bullplate so I'll use that... Always had good luck with it.

bdicki
08-15-2015, 12:42 PM
What, no pictures?

Piedmont
08-15-2015, 02:28 PM
Use the little stick of lube Veral included on those role pins when they are hot and make a conscious effort to squeeze the mold handles together in the beginning. Veral's alignment pins and sprue plates are the best in the industry in my opinion.

AbitNutz
08-15-2015, 06:11 PM
Use the little stick of lube Veral included on those role pins when they are hot and make a conscious effort to squeeze the mold handles together in the beginning. Veral's alignment pins and sprue plates are the best in the industry in my opinion.

I believe you...I really like the sprue plate clip/stop. It's simple and likely very effective.

bhn22
08-15-2015, 08:33 PM
Your alignment pins will break in after a while. Just keep them lubricated with Bullplate or synthetic 2 stroke oil.

No. Use the lube stick that came with the mould

RobS
08-15-2015, 10:19 PM
No. Use the lube stick that came with the mould

Why is that? I used the Veral's small lube stick the first time around and it left brown burnt crud on the mold. The second mold I used Bullplate and all was good.

melloairman
08-15-2015, 10:43 PM
I have 3 of his molds and love them . The last one I received the pins were very tight . So as you have already been told keep them lubed . I also had to give the mold a slight tap with a stick to get it to close all the way but the pins seated in . You did what to close the mold . I did just what RCBS instructions tell you to do on their new molds . Took a few hundred bullets to settle in but it was well worth the effort . And IMO his molds are a set above the rest . Marvin

454 shooter
08-17-2015, 09:25 PM
I now have several of Veral's molds. Haven't got to cast much with them, waiting until winter when work slows down a bit.
The little I have done is enough to impress me greatly.

Intel6
08-21-2015, 06:05 PM
I have 6 of his moulds and they are awesome. I especially like his spruplate design and the hold down for it. Now I also have 3x as many NOE moulds which I like just as much but the LBT's were the first true custom/quality mould that I ever cast with after dealing with the lesser brands for a few years and that made a big impression on me.

Neal in AZ