PDA

View Full Version : New dies yesterday

brassrat
08-14-2015, 09:00 AM
I had to grab a perfect, unused,die set. Its a blue box, Pacific Durochrome, with all the inclosed stuff in '06. Is this valuable?

osteodoc08
08-14-2015, 09:06 AM
To me, a tool is only useful (thus valuable) if I can use it. If not, it is not valuable (to me).

As far a collectability, IDK. Sounds fancy enough though.

I did peek at EvilBay and they dont seem to be priced outside of "the norm"

brassrat
08-14-2015, 11:33 AM
I looked on GB and saw the same, but all were used. There are instructions and some postcards that havent been disturbed in several decades. They have roll set in them and I just put them back into the middle die position. A card did have a date of 1961 or after for a life guarantee. (orig owner)

mdi
08-14-2015, 12:28 PM
Not a collector. But, Pacific was well know reloading tool manufacturer and made a lot of dies. I don't think they would be any more collectable than some Herters or Ideal tools...

Harter66
08-14-2015, 01:11 PM
Pacific I believe is now property or was anyway of Hornady. In the 70s they were a just a little more than RCBS and to the penny with Lyman . There are lots of them around my Dad has 5 sets of them and gave me the Lyman sets . Those that I've used are top notch except the expander ball in the 22-250 . Good tools but I doubt much collectability except the odd cartridge.

spfd1903
08-14-2015, 02:29 PM
I got a used .44Mag three die set at a LGS for $25 (Pacific Durachrome). No instructions. The markings on one die indicated it was the sizer, but there was no pin to remove spent primers. Asked on this forum and a member sent me an electronic version of the complete directions. There was a separate de-priming/flare mouth die, which puzzled me until I read the directions. Great set of quality dies!

Bent Ramrod
08-14-2015, 04:07 PM
Unused condition old stock dies can be costly. I found a 1967 vintage cardboard-boxed RCBS set for the .35 Winchester that still had the VPI paper wrapped around the dies, and doubtful if the box had ever even been opened. Although I picked up the dies for $10, I wound up buying an 1895 Winchester lever action in the caliber, and .405 Basic Brass so I could use the dies and shoot the gun. Set me back a tidy sum.

However, I would think we're a few decades away from boxed-set unused collectability in 7/8" x 14 dies. I've seen no action on such things on the ARTCA site or in its publication.

blikseme300
08-14-2015, 04:59 PM
Unused condition old stock dies can be costly. I found a 1967 vintage cardboard-boxed RCBS set for the .35 Winchester that still had the VPI paper wrapped around the dies, and doubtful if the box had ever even been opened. Although I picked up the dies for $10, I wound up buying an 1895 Winchester lever action in the caliber, and .405 Basic Brass so I could use the dies and shoot the gun. Set me back a tidy sum.

However, I would think we're a few decades away from boxed-set unused collectability in 7/8" x 14 dies. I've seen no action on such things on the ARTCA site or in its publication.

Echos my experience. I don't like the 40S&W but having 2 5gal buckets of brass ended up with molds, dies and 2 pistols to use this brass. Same with 38Super brass as a Colt 1911, molds and dies followed. Wasted nothing and saved a lot of money. :shock:

What am I going to do with all the .50AE brass I have?

gwpercle
08-14-2015, 05:04 PM
Good dies, I like them. On ebay people will pay stupid amounts for RCBS...more than new from Midway, while the Pacific's can be had very reasonably.
I wanted another 41 magnum die set, the RCBS and Redding dies were priced way too high, didn't see any Pacific in 41 mag. , but , spotted a set of Bonanza , min bid was $8.95....not one person bid on them ( they were in factory box with instructions ) ....go figure.
So if you can get a Pacific for a good price...to me that's valuable.

Gary