PDA

View Full Version : Good day at the range

RKJ
08-13-2015, 08:36 PM
My Grandson (7 YO) and I went to the range today and other than the Wasps & the horseflys we had a great time. I got him a Remington 700 Youth in .243 last year at Christmas and have found that thing is a shooter with the RCBS 243-95. (Thanks guys for all the thumbs up on this mold, it is a dandy) Anyway, today was the 1st time he had shot it and he did great. We started at 25 yards, I showed him how to load it (and safety) and made sure he had his technique good and bingo about 1" from the bull. He got better from there, he shot at 25, then 50 and finally 100 yards (all of them in the heart/lung area) and he did hit the bull, that got him going. :) He wants to go back next week and I told him we'd take a old archery 3D deer target I've had for years. He's pretty excited and I am too. I've got a video but I need to make sure it's ok with Mom & Dad before posting it. I'm a mighty proud PA.

MrWolf
08-13-2015, 09:09 PM
That sounds like a great time. You gave him a memory he will cherish forever. Nice going PA!

johniv
08-13-2015, 09:28 PM
+1 And YOU have a great day to remember, sir. Bravo Zulu!

osteodoc08
08-15-2015, 09:18 AM
Both of you have memories that you'll both cherish forever. Good on you and thank you for being a good steward of our craft. Need to get him into the reloading room and help him roll his own to shoot in his new blaster.

DCP
08-15-2015, 12:03 PM
Teach the young. I have great memory's with my Grandfather

RKJ
08-15-2015, 01:24 PM
Both of you have memories that you'll both cherish forever. Good on you and thank you for being a good steward of our craft. Need to get him into the reloading room and help him roll his own to shoot in his new blaster.

Doc, that's where we started. He's my 1st and he bonded from the start. Wherever I am he is (mostly, and I'm going to miss that when he gets too busy for Pa.) :( He hasn't made his own yet but does help me around the bench. He gets the primers and put them in the tube and has made some 45 auto and 9mm with me. I make sure he has eye protection and if it's something a little hairy I have him get away and I do it. Thank you for the idea, I'm going to let him do it (with my supervision of course). :) He's chompin' at the bit to go to the range again too, hopefully this week before school starts for him.

I don't want to leave out my youngest Grandson and Granddaughter they both love to shoot and enjoy the range but they're only 5 and their attention span is pretty short so we go shooting in short sessions. All three have their own .22's and this (and next) Christmas I'll be getting them each a .243, I want them to have their own .22, Deer rifle, shotgun and pistol while I can (selfish reason here) enjoy them with them.

waynem34
08-15-2015, 01:54 PM
Sounds like the 243 is a good fit.I had one when I was about his age and it was too much kick. 22-250 also stumped me. I was small back then now i laugh when i think back/I've got a model seven in 243 and love it.Yall have a good time and take care.

Pee Wee
08-26-2015, 11:12 PM
That's great

RKJ
08-28-2015, 06:32 PM
Sounds like the 243 is a good fit.I had one when I was about his age and it was too much kick. 22-250 also stumped me. I was small back then now i laugh when i think back/I've got a model seven in 243 and love it.Y'all have a good time and take care.

Waynem34, I just saw your post. I cast up a bunch of RCBS 95 grain cast (it's a great bullet, BTW) over 9.5 grains of 700x. It shoots an awful lot like a 22 RF. I just wanted him to get used to the rifle but he took to it like gangbusters. I want to work up to a hunting load for him, but don't want to get him gun shy. We'll take it slow and hopefully he'll want to keep at it. I hope so, he's a mighty good shooting partner. :)

JWT
08-28-2015, 10:30 PM
I had a similar day with my son today. He will be 11 in a month. We started at the archery range, then the indoor pistol/22 rifle, and finished at the outdoor rifle range. He loved the 22lr rifles. The 22-250 was also a big hit (his new favorite). The 35rem had a bit too much recoil for him. All were factory loads, so I'm sure I can improve on the 35rem.

147740 147741

We stopped for donuts on the way home. Pretty good day.