PDA

View Full Version : WTK: Lyman 45 w 311284 ejector rod length?

straphanger
08-13-2015, 08:00 PM
OK I am new to this machine. I am trying to set up for the 311284 bullet. I have a .310 H&I die installed and a 284 top punch. My issue is that there is very little clearance btw the top punch and the die to load the bullet due to its length. I have to tilt it slightly and start it into the die and then rotate it vertical so the nose of the bullet will clear the punch. The handle is up as far as it will go, the ejector rod is stopped against the bottom of the die at the top and against the lower bar at the bottom. The lower bar is down as far on the rods as it will go. 311284 is a relatively long bullet, but I also intend to size 457125s. I don't think they will fit...

Looks to me like I need a "shorter" ejector rod. Was there more than one length ejector rod for the Lyman 45?

If not, what am I missing!

thanks!

Beagle333
08-13-2015, 08:20 PM
Do you have a picture of your setup and issue?

edit:
From the top of my currently installed die to the face of my top punch, I have 1.80" right now.
Let's see how much room Duckiller has too.

Duckiller
08-13-2015, 08:23 PM
What is the length of your "ejector bar"? Don't need to measure with a micrometer. Something is not right. don't have your mold but long 30 cal boolits easily fit into my 450. Only use 45 for alox lube because I have both. Something doesn't sound right. gice me some dimensions and I will get my 45 down and start measuring.

MT Chambers
08-13-2015, 08:42 PM
All bullets should fit if your "plug" is set down a little ways, that bullet shouldn't have to go down much anyways.

tazman
08-13-2015, 08:51 PM
I have the exact same issue with my Lyman 45 with 30 caliber boolits for my 06. Just not enough room for a long cast boolit in there with the setup that is there now. It does pistol rounds fine but they are much shorter than rifle.

straphanger
08-15-2015, 02:42 PM
What is the length of your "ejector bar"? Don't need to measure with a micrometer. Something is not right. don't have your mold but long 30 cal boolits easily fit into my 450. Only use 45 for alox lube because I have both. Something doesn't sound right. gice me some dimensions and I will get my 45 down and start measuring.

My lower "ejector rod" length is 2 3/4 in. With the handle up as far as it will go, eg top of ejector rod flush with the bottom of the H die, the gap between the top of the die and the lower face of the 421 punch is 1 1/4 in. FWIW the internal punch (the I part?) is about 1/8 in below the top of the H die when the handle is full up as above.

JonB_in_Glencoe
08-16-2015, 08:51 PM
I made a "Knockout punch" using a 1/4" hex head bolt, that had a long shoulder on the shank. It could easily be made any length you wish.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?34525-manual-for-a-Lyman-45&p=2670223&viewfull=1#post2670223

Duckiller
08-18-2015, 07:14 PM
Straphanger just had a heart attack and a stent installed. Stent was worse than the heart attack. Moving a little slow and can't lift anything for awhile. Will get my 45lyman down in a few days and measure it for you.

Springfield
08-18-2015, 08:38 PM
I have 1 3/4" clearance with my 45 with the handle all the way up. Your top punch must be much longer than mine.

Duckiller
09-06-2015, 09:06 PM
Finally got around to measuring. Punch portion of my ejector is 2.94" long, Threaded rod that it fits into is 1.565" long. With no top punch or H&I di in place there is 2.600" clearance between the frame and the bottom of the top punch holder when fully extended. My 45 is not assembled but I think I will have close to 1.75" between the H&I di and the top punch with the handle all the way up. Hope this helps. Heart Attack, Stent, So Cal heat, and a nasal infection doesn't help get things done. If you have Questions with my measurements let me know, I may be able topast some pictures if I can find my camera or get my wife's camera to work. Good luck!

straphanger
09-09-2015, 05:56 PM
OK, my problem was solved with a trip to HD. Bought a 1/4 x 2 1/2 " carriage bolt for $0.18. It drops right through the H die hole in the casting and fits into the adjusting thimble perfectly. Although it is threaded and the head is rounded it works the "I" punch just as well as the original, including pushing the H die out when you want to change sizes. The only problem is that the handle moves higher now and the return spring isn't strong enough to keep it from drooping ...now I need a stronger return spring. But the clearance problem is resolved.

Thanks to all who contributed!