PDA

View Full Version : Did Ruger ever glue front sights on Super Blackhawks?

Ickisrulz
08-13-2015, 08:28 AM
I was shooting my 4 5/8" Super Blackhawk yesterday and the front sight flew off. Looking at where the sight base attached it looks like some type of adhesive to my untrained eyes. The screw was sheared off. Did Ruger ever experiment with adhesive in place of solder?

Of course Ruger will fix this for me and (with a little prompting) has sent me a shipping label. I won't be getting my gun back with the Wolf Springs though. I suppose they will leave my grips alone.

EDK
08-13-2015, 09:07 AM
I wouldn't send custom grips on the gun that is going in for repairs. Someone there may like them and you get factory in exchange. Don't tempt someone too much.

Ickisrulz
08-13-2015, 09:40 AM
I wouldn't send custom grips on the gun that is going in for repairs. Someone there may like them and you get factory in exchange. Don't tempt someone too much.

I think I'll hunt down the old ones. I have a belt mountain base pin too. I'm not sure if they'll want to replace that. I don't know if I have the old one or not.

bedbugbilly
08-13-2015, 01:18 PM
I have a feeling it may come back to you with all "stock parts". I love Rugers and have a number of them but have had to send one back. They are known for excellent service but I know several different people who have sent theirs in only to have them returned missing their "custom parts/modifications" which were replaced with "stock" parts. All due to their "liability" and the lawyers . . and you can't really blame them in our "law suit silly" society.

Djones
08-13-2015, 01:25 PM
Could you send it in without the cylinder, grips and other non standard parts? You only want a front sight soldered back on.

RG1911
08-13-2015, 01:58 PM
What Djones said. Excellent solution.

LUCKYDAWG13
08-13-2015, 08:02 PM
hey i got a set of cracked Ruger grips you could put on and if you get a new set back would help me out too 146595 :bigsmyl2: just so you know they will not just put a new sight on your barrel
they will put a new barrel on and reblue your pistol i sent mine back last year my front sight was put on wrong 146598

Ickisrulz
08-13-2015, 09:55 PM
hey i got a set of cracked Ruger grips you could put on and if you get a new set back would help me out too 146595 :bigsmyl2: just so you know they will not just put a new sight on your barrel
they will put a new barrel on and reblue your pistol i sent mine back last year my front sight was put on wrong 146598

My SBH is actually stainless. I think I know where the original grips are. Once I get the gun back you can have them if you want. My SBH has the round trigger guard.

LUCKYDAWG13
08-13-2015, 10:10 PM
I have square trigger ruger did a great job on my pistol I'm sure yours will look like new when you get it back

Frank46
08-13-2015, 11:38 PM
There was a video on ruger handguns on the outdoor channel and showed the sights being installed by induction brazing. Looks like a coil of heavy copper wire and showed the assembler using a brush to apply the brazing compound and they stick inside the coil which you can see get red hot than they take it out and good to go. Frank

Ickisrulz
08-14-2015, 06:24 AM
There was a video on ruger handguns on the outdoor channel and showed the sights being installed by induction brazing. Looks like a coil of heavy copper wire and showed the assembler using a brush to apply the brazing compound and they stick inside the coil which you can see get red hot than they take it out and good to go. Frank

I have no doubt that is what they do and have done. I am just wondering if they ever experimented with an adhesive at one point. The residue on my barrel doesn't look like metal, but some kind of adhesive. I could be wrong though.

DougGuy
08-15-2015, 12:01 AM
Take ALL the parts out that you have changed or Ruger will remove them for you and replace them with stock unmodified parts. That includes your grips.

Spector
08-15-2015, 05:44 PM
I rounded the bottom of the grip frame on my Ruger Bisley and matched the factory grips to it? I did this maybe 7 years ago. What do you think Rugers reaction would be if I ever sent it in for servicing? I like my modification. Do you think they would put new grip frame on it before sending it back? What I did has not affected safety at all.........Mike

chsparkman
08-15-2015, 06:34 PM
I was shooting my 4 5/8" Super Blackhawk yesterday and the front sight flew off.

Strange, the exact thing happened on my SBH 7.5" two days ago. I've had it for 20 years with no problems. It is stainless, and has the pinned front blade. I ordered a new blade with the fiber optic insert from Amazon. It came in today. I had to drill the hole for the pin, but the installation took not even 10 minutes. Now I need to get it back out and finish testing my reloads.