PDA

View Full Version : New poster selling items?

Willyp
08-13-2015, 06:06 AM
Are you ever leary of buying items from a new poster?
I bought a Wolf muzzle loader,from a faily new poster once. Sent the money, a postal money order! I am still waiting for it to get here!!!!!!I sent the MO,in 2007!!!!!!

tnaz
08-13-2015, 06:43 AM
I thought if a money order was used you could contact USPS. If it were out of state a higher crime?

osteodoc08
08-13-2015, 07:11 AM
I wouldn't buy a big ticket item from someone that was relatively new here. Brass, dies, etc......not as huge a deal due to the lesser money involved.

Ive sold several long long guns here and never had an issue. I did sell a nice Ruger Bisley SS in 45 colt to a member out west and the UPS shipment took almost 10 days and I think we were both worried. He that he might of been scammed and me that my gun was MIA. It all turned out ok though.

1johnlb
08-13-2015, 07:12 AM
You've probably waited to long for a claim. But usps will send a investigator out if you paid with a usps mo. It's concidered mail fraud.

Bad Water Bill
08-13-2015, 07:32 AM
You've probably waited to long for a claim. But usps will send a investigator out if you paid with a usps mo. It's concidered mail fraud.

I sent a USPS M O to someone and did not hear from them in 30 days so visited my P O to see what my options were.

They charged me $10.00 to see if the M O had been cashed and they also took my phone #.

That was THREE YEARS AGO and i am still waiting to hear from the USPS.:evil:

rancher1913
08-13-2015, 07:34 AM
vice a versa. first few "buys" I made really took a leap of faith. send money and see what happens, at least as a seller you are not out anything as long as you don't ship until you have money. so far I've been burned once buying on s&s and it was a small amount, really don't think the seller was a bad person, got the impression that they might be early Alzheimer so I just chalked it up to experience and won't buy from them again.

SeabeeMan
08-13-2015, 07:43 AM
I have had good transactions with brand new members here and was burned on a swage die deal by somebody who had been around a little while. XD4584 took money from a bunch of us, said he was making swage dies, gave us some good updates, and then was gone.

waksupi
08-13-2015, 08:14 AM
Eight years, and you finally mention it? Is the person still a member, or even still alive?

Pellethuntr
08-13-2015, 08:22 AM
On most forums I am a part of I will ALWAYS pay with paypal and will make sure that I don't pay as a "gift". The gift option leaves the buyer with nothing to stand on in the event of a scam. I have been glad on a few occasions that I am firm in paying that way as paypal is not very kind to scamers. If the seller doesn't take paypal and I don't know him by name I will walk away even if the price is good.

Skunk1
08-13-2015, 08:31 AM
I'm at almost 3 weeks waiting on a mold. Member has been here since 2007 and 2300 posts. Being patient but am getting no response from him. Contacted a couple other members and they are waiting on molds too. Hope he's allright.

Willyp
08-13-2015, 11:40 AM
The guy was not a member here. This was on a different site.
I kept contacting him and kept getting different reasons why it was not at my door? Then,no more replies and gone!
I used a USPO money order,thinking
i would be safe? That was baloney. All they told me was it was cashed and thats all they could do!!!! I figured the mail fraud thing too,but it is not for us small guys!

garym1a2
08-13-2015, 12:17 PM
Me too, I ignore all posts asking paypal gift.

On most forums I am a part of I will ALWAYS pay with paypal and will make sure that I don't pay as a "gift". The gift option leaves the buyer with nothing to stand on in the event of a scam. I have been glad on a few occasions that I am firm in paying that way as paypal is not very kind to scamers. If the seller doesn't take paypal and I don't know him by name I will walk away even if the price is good.

jonp
08-13-2015, 12:38 PM
On this forum it depends on the number of posts or previous sales but i can say ive not run into a problem with anyone. One seller was a little late in sending the item but his wife pm,d me so it was all good.

Good members here. Several times ive gotten items before i could send the money.

1johnlb
08-13-2015, 12:43 PM
I've never had any problems, in fact nothing but good experiences here on castboolits. Always thought I was safe though with the usps mo. Thanks for opening my eyes.

runfiverun
08-13-2015, 12:52 PM
if you read the TOS in the S&S section 'new member' is not in the vocabulary of umm of the ability to sell stuff agreement.

JonB_in_Glencoe
08-13-2015, 01:09 PM
If we are telling stories of past BAD deals...I got one.

Steve Wagner's website shows how to repair a CZ52 firing pin.
He offers to do the repair for you for $15

In 2009, I sent him a broken firing pin and 15 bucks cash.
and never heard from him. I send emails, no response, I called a few times, no answer. I figure they went out of business or something

http://www.gswagner.com/cz52/cz52pin.html

waksupi
08-13-2015, 01:41 PM
I'm at almost 3 weeks waiting on a mold. Member has been here since 2007 and 2300 posts. Being patient but am getting no response from him. Contacted a couple other members and they are waiting on molds too. Hope he's allright.

Ha! You should have been around when we still did group buys from Lee! Months, if not years was common.

opos
08-13-2015, 04:59 PM
The guy was not a member here. This was on a different site.
I kept contacting him and kept getting different reasons why it was not at my door? Then,no more replies and gone!
I used a USPO money order,thinking
i would be safe? That was baloney. All they told me was it was cashed and thats all they could do!!!! I figured the mail fraud thing too,but it is not for us small guys!

Won't work for guns..paypal is anti gun all the way

bangerjim
08-13-2015, 07:29 PM
Use the same rules on here as you would on evilbay......do NOT trust anyone with under 500 posts/6 months actively on-line/150 smooth transactions.

Basically I do not trust anyone without years of posts and transactions.

Sorry, but that is the way of our world today. LOYAL CB members can be trusted more than anywhere I have ever been. New-comers will just have to wait.........and be active!

NO ONE should ever join this forum with the sole purpose of just selling carp. That is NOT what this fine place is for. Knowledge, not dollars, is what we are all about.

banger

Elkins45
08-15-2015, 09:29 AM
I don't think I've ever sold anything here, but I have done a bunch of transactions on Bladeforums. I also used to sell stuff on eBay before they forced sellers to only use PayPal. I use the same username on every site I belong to, so if somebody needs reassurance I can point them to my feedback on BFC and eBay.

Bladeforums is a vBulletin forum like his one and they have a feedback system for buyers and sellers set up in their Exchange subform. Maybe that's something to consider here if bad transactions are becoming a problem?

As for accepting PayPal: I don't do it anymore. I will happily PAY using it, but once you've been burned on the "item significantly not as described" scam it makes you gun shy. Nothing like refunding someone's payment and then getting a box of sand in return to make you lose faith in your fellow man.

My biggest ripoff loss was from a hardware store in Georgia that had a quite elaborate website with a shopping cart, large inventory, store-branded items and everything. I ordered a 5 gallon can of store-branded linseed oil and when I completed the online checkout a message pops up telling me that their card acceptance system was broken and that I needed to mail a check. Well, you know the rest of that story... A couple of years ago I received an email from the Georgia Attorney General's office asking me for documentation of my transaction, but nothing since. I hope they put the old guy in jail.