PDA

View Full Version : suggestions for making 257 roberts

Littlewolf
08-12-2015, 07:49 PM
ok im needing to make some more 257 roberts.
i have a forming die
i have 30-06 brass
i have pure anhydrus lanolin

should i gently go in small steps into the forming die trimming occasionally and then when shell holder contacts the die run them through the sizing die to help with neck thickness?

HABCAN
08-12-2015, 08:20 PM
Seems like a whole lot of trouble. Since it is a derivation of the 7x57, I've made a lot DOWN from 7mm and as many UP from .244/6mm Rem. That's assuming you can get such cheap at a gunshow?

GRUMPA
08-12-2015, 09:23 PM
I've never found it necessary to use a form die. All I've ever used was a factory sizing die, but those I alter in small ways to make work. I just got done doing 2 of them to refresh my memory, I just lubed them at the base of the case and up into the die they went.

The lube I use is a 50/50 mix of Anhydrous Lanolin and Vaseline. And I "NEVER" lube the case higher than half way up on the body of the case.

Here's the procedure I use:

Clean "Commercial" brass
Size with a 06 sizer, and remove the primer.
Size with 257 Rob sizing die "With the decapping rod removed". Any taper is now inside the neck this way.
Ream the neck (Required)
Size again in the 257Rob sizing die only this time with the decapping rod installed.
Trim to length, deburr
Clean and anneal

I use a L.E.Wilson case/chamber gauge when I do those, along with an indicator so that I know where the gauge dimension is at all times.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=128219&d=1421886430

EDG
08-13-2015, 12:59 AM
I use more dies than grumpa because I have them but it is an easy case to make. I have never found reaming necessary but I always check for it.
Unlike Grumpa I do not make cases for any one else so they only have to fit in my rifle.

It is a bad idea to use 6mm Rem because the 6mm has a different head space due to the shoulder angle.

bdicki
08-13-2015, 06:43 AM
I've never found it necessary to use a form die. All I've ever used was a factory sizing die, but those I alter in small ways to make work. I just got done doing 2 of them to refresh my memory, I just lubed them at the base of the case and up into the die they went.

The lube I use is a 50/50 mix of Anhydrous Lanolin and Vaseline. And I "NEVER" lube the case higher than half way up on the body of the case.

Here's the procedure I use:

Clean "Commercial" brass
Size with a 06 sizer, and remove the primer.
Size with 257 Rob sizing die "With the decapping rod removed". Any taper is now inside the neck this way.
Ream the neck (Required)
Size again in the 257Rob sizing die only this time with the decapping rod installed.
Trim to length, deburr
Clean and anneal

I use a L.E.Wilson case/chamber gauge when I do those, along with an indicator so that I know where the gauge dimension is at all times.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=128219&d=1421886430
I have a chess set like that.