PDA

View Full Version : inherited a brand new richland arms .44 cal 1860 army cap/ball revolver.

mozeppa
08-11-2015, 04:17 PM
all i got was the gun.... where can i find what goes with one to shoot it?

and any info on what size primers to use.
also need a manual or list of tools, powder measure what kind of powder , load data

the works.

i'd show a pix but there wasn't one exactly like mine on the net.

mine is the round barrel, high polished stainless , brass trigger guard, tons of scroll work.

any help appreciated!....mike.

Red River Rick
08-11-2015, 05:17 PM
............any help appreciated!....mike.

Interesting piece...................but I doubt posting in the Paper Patching Section will help much!

RRR

Maven
08-11-2015, 06:29 PM
Mike, I'm going to cut and paste your post in the Muzzleloading subforum. You should get plenty of responses there.

MBTcustom
08-12-2015, 12:09 AM
Buy this mold and cast with pure lead. COWW will make you cuss.
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/369899/lee-2-cavity-bullet-mold-454-diameter-round-ball?cm_vc=ProductFinding
Buy this flask (wonderful tool!)
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/2164317917/pedersoli-powder-flask-colt-style?cm_vc=ProductFinding
Use German primers
Use Swiss FFFG (don't ever use Pyrodex or any substitute unless you enjoy fighting rust all the time).
Wipe crisco over the cylinder holes after you seat the balls.
Never load all 6 chambers, and keep the hammer on the empty one.

I carried one of these six guns on my hip for years till I wore it out, then I got a new one. Excellent firearms and very effective!

mozeppa
08-12-2015, 08:42 AM
oops! put this in paper patch by misnake!
all i got was the gun.... where can i find what goes with one to shoot it?

and any info on what size primers to use.
also need a manual or list of tools, powder measure what kind of powder , load data

the works.

i'd show a pix but there wasn't one exactly like mine on the net.

mine is the round barrel, high polished stainless , brass trigger guard, tons of scroll work.

any help appreciated!....mike.

Der Gebirgsjager
08-12-2015, 12:11 PM
A good place to start is Dixie Gun Works. Get their $5.00 catalog, and it tells you ball and patch size and even how much powder to use for various model black powder handguns. The fact that yours is branded "Richland Arms" won't make any significant difference, as regardless of the brand most of them trace their origin to two or three Italian companies. There are many other sources for the caps, patches, ball and powder including local gun shops, but you'll find the Dixie catalogue to be an invaluable reference. www.dixiegunworks.com (http://www.dixiegunworks.com)

Beagle333
08-12-2015, 12:57 PM
Good post by Goodsteel above.

I use CCI or Remington caps, because that's all I can get.

#10's fit the nipples perfectly, but you can use #11's just fine if you pinch them a little so they won't fall off when you shoot the first one. I am usually only able to find #11's, so I have shot a few thousand of them successfully without incident.

mozeppa
08-12-2015, 06:54 PM
crude!

told ya'll i was an babe!

mozeppa
08-12-2015, 06:56 PM
Thanks Maven!

bedbugbilly
08-12-2015, 07:03 PM
It may be like new but it's a "vintage" not "new" C & B. Richland Arms was located in Blissfield, Michigan in the 1960s. They have been out of business for many years. They produced kits and finished guns. I have a brass/bronze frame Remington NMA that belonged to a friend of mine that was given to me as a keepsake after he died. The loading lever ***'y. was missing - his son took the gun apart and "lost it" - never figured out how a person could do that. Anyway, I looked for years for a replacement - finally ran across a "kit" gun that had been started and never completed. The loading lever fit pretty much but I had to turn down the seating stem on the end of it - i.e. - not all parts from the factory are interchangeable.

AllanD
08-13-2015, 12:22 AM
Typical .44cal replica revolvers shoot round balls measuring .451 in diameter and if you are new to cap and ball revolvers
when you seat the bal in each chamber and press it home IF the cylinder is properly machined it will dhave a thin ring of lead off the ball

And for your own safety's sake after you've seated the ball firmly on the powder charge put a dab of grease in each cylinder,
this prevents a "chain fire" of adjacent cylinders firing.

a tiny lick of flame will ignite black powder, and depending on the roundness and diameter of your balls they may or may not seal the chambers.

doc1876
08-13-2015, 08:44 AM
there is a web sight somewhere that claims that these old repros are now a collector item. Me, I 'd shoot it.

dromia
08-13-2015, 09:47 AM
Mozeppa, you will get more out of these forums if you take little time to read and understand each forum and its function.

Also if you have "lost" your post then you can easily find it again through your CP rather than reposting it in another inappropriate forum.

Your original post was moved here as soon as I saw it, your second post has been moved here and now merged with your original post.

mozeppa
08-13-2015, 03:16 PM
Mozeppa, you will get more out of these forums if you take little time to read and understand each forum and its function.

Also if you have "lost" your post then you can easily find it again through your CP rather than reposting it in another inappropriate forum.

Your original post was moved here as soon as I saw it, your second post has been moved here and now merged with your original post.

i kinda get that....but its hard to un-ring a bell.
thx