PDA

View Full Version : Computer virus protection

xs11jack
08-11-2015, 02:37 PM
Say I have been seeing these commerials for PC Matic computer protection. Has anyone here had any experience with them?
Ole Jack

sparky45
08-11-2015, 02:49 PM
I still use Windows defender and an ad blocker, Avast.

kfarm
08-11-2015, 07:10 PM
I started looking myself, now I have Kaspersky (spelling) have not had any problems but thought I'd look into pcmatic. I won't go into details but most say it's fraudulent. Google pcmatic.

bangerjim
08-11-2015, 07:19 PM
Norton 360 for every computer in the office! Nothing else will do.

Hogdaddy
08-11-2015, 07:42 PM
Norton 360 for every computer in the office! Nothing else will do.

^^^^^^^^^This^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
H/D

David2011
08-11-2015, 08:16 PM
I don't care for the way Norton products slow the computer down. My first preference for home computers (I work in a Fortune 100 Enterprise IT department) is the free version of Avast. It watches e-mails and websites very well. You have to register it with your e-mail but in 15 years they have never sent me anything but the re-registration request. We use Symantec Endpoint Protection (SEP) at the office and it's gotten better. I have seen Avast intercept things in past years that SEP allowed through. SEP doesn't slow the computers down like Norton even though they're both Norton products.

David

Jonesy
08-11-2015, 08:37 PM
Norton does offer decent protection, but it's a system hog and not free. Avast is free, offers great protection and uses little system resources.

Malwarebytes will sometimes catch things that Avast will miss, or that will attatch themselves to an Avast process. No real-time protection with Malwarebytes though, that's the downside of it.

cheese1566
08-11-2015, 08:42 PM
Avast!
and malwarebytes and spybot for occasional scans

free, I like that!

Plus I can disable avast for a few minutes easily if my old XP computer is bogged with a few high running programs.

retread
08-11-2015, 10:35 PM
I downloaded spybot and ran the scan but in order to fix anything you have to fork out 29.99 to register. Obviously it is not free. Malware on the other hand did scan and fix problems at no charge. FYI

MaryB
08-11-2015, 11:16 PM
Spybot is free and will fix things! I have never paid a dime for spybot in 10 years of using it. Add in Avast and not much gets through. Plus I run Adbloc+ and ghostery on the browser to stop more stuff.

retread
08-12-2015, 01:24 AM
Spybot is free and will fix things! I have never paid a dime for spybot in 10 years of using it. Add in Avast and not much gets through. Plus I run Adbloc+ and ghostery on the browser to stop more stuff.
You are correct MaryB. The site that I got to was for spyhunter (on the search it was titled spybot, imagine that). I removed it and found the actual spybot site and things are good (and free). Thanks for your comment as it made me look closer.

Lead Fred
08-12-2015, 05:23 AM
Been building, selling, repairing, and networking PCs for decades now.
Some Av like Norton and Macafee introduce viruses into your PC, no thanks.
The free ones sort of work, some of the time, do you feel lucky?
Ive sold The Shield Deluxe for about 5-6 years now. Its bullet proof for non technical folk.
For the rest of us I use Bit Defender in this laptop, home network, and the Note 4 phone.

mold maker
08-12-2015, 08:56 AM
AVG FREE has coverd me for 11 years.. They will try to up grade to a paid service, but the free version works.

waksupi
08-12-2015, 09:58 AM
Norton does offer decent protection, but it's a system hog and not free. Avast is free, offers great protection and uses little system resources.

Malwarebytes will sometimes catch things that Avast will miss, or that will attatch themselves to an Avast process. No real-time protection with Malwarebytes though, that's the downside of it.

I have the paid version of Malawarebytes. Around $24 a year. It works in real time, and also does a regular daily full system scan. Most of the things it catches are in browser updates.

Riverpigusmc
08-12-2015, 05:39 PM
I have the paid version of Malawarebytes. Around $24 a year. It works in real time, and also does a regular daily full system scan. Most of the things it catches are in browser updates.
^this. Runs on my computer 24/7