PDA

View Full Version : Lyman Moulds

Chubbo
10-09-2005, 12:21 AM
I would like to cast bullets for two cartridges, a.38Long Colt, and a .45Long Colt. They are to be used in conversition cylinders, with a Colt .36cal. Navy, and the other a Remington 1858 .44cal new army. The navy requires ether a heeled bullet or a hollow base bullet. The Rem. requirements are not so crucial, only that both revolvers will also be used with black powder as well as with a good black powder substitute, such as Trail Boss. I have looked up some Lyman mould numbers, for the .38LC, these numbers, #358160 a heeled bullet, #35873 a hollow based bullet, #35870 also a hollow based bullet, and for the .45LC these numbers, #454190, #454148, #454424. Does anyone know of a source to find these moulds at? What is your experience with Trail Boss Powder and other BP substitue powders? What cast bullets would you suggest for use in loading the.45LC., untill I find moulds?
Thanks.
Chubbo

Buckshot
10-09-2005, 04:42 AM
............Hello Chubbo and welcome to the board. Your search for a 45 slug for the 45 Colt would basicly be for a plain based boolit design of the weight you want. The heeled or hollowbased moulds for the '38' will be more problematic.

Just for fun you might try some Speer HBWC's, as these are pure lead swaged slugs to see how they work. There used to be a mould company called "Old West Bullet Mould", somewhere in NM I believe it was. It was owned by a gentleman who was 'older' many years ago, and I haven't heard anything at all about the company in a few years.

He pretty much specialized in the old odd, and weird old boolit designs. Another that I know is still in business (no website) is Raphine. They do carry a few of the odder designs like some rebated heels and the ring tailed Sharps paper cartridge boolit moulds.

............Buckshot

John F. Lang
10-09-2005, 06:28 AM
Chubbo,
I tkink the address Buckshot was thinking about is the following:
Old West Bullet Moulds
P.O. Box 519
Flora Vista, New Mwxico
(505)-334-6970
Like Buckshot said, I don't know if he is still in the business or not but I had thre address so thought I would pass it along.
Good luck.
John

Frank46
10-09-2005, 07:58 AM
The owner of Old West Bullet Moulds has I believe retired. There was a quick blurb in the CBA newsletter to that effect. Shame, from what I heard he really made some nice boolit moulds. And due to my procrastinating won't bet getting any moulds from him. Frank

Springfield
10-09-2005, 01:08 PM
Trail Boss is a smokeless powder, not a BP substitute. If you fill a case with it you are going to blow up your pistol. As to 38 and 45 bullets, I just use the Big Lube(tm) bullets for Blackpowder. Can be bought on e-bay.

Chubbo
10-10-2005, 02:34 PM
Hi.All:
Thanks for the info on bullet moulds. If anyone knows the address for the company, Raphines, that Buckshot mentioned, let me know. About the use of Trail Boss powder, I guess I did classify it, incorrectly as a BP subistitue. Thanks Springfield, for calling my attention to it. What I had in mind was the use of it in the right amounts for loading cartridges, for use in conversion cylinders in cap & ball revolvers. Has anyone used for that purpose? IMR gives a few loads for It, for Cowboy type shooting.
Thanks.

Chubbo

Dutch4122
10-10-2005, 03:10 PM
Here's the address for Rapine:

Rapine Bullet Mould Mfg. Co.
9503 Landis Lane
East Greenville, PA 18041
Phone: (215) 679-5413

Also, Buffalo Arms carries Rapine molds so you might want to check out their website as well.

Hope this helps,

Buckshot
10-10-2005, 08:06 PM
.........Dutch, thank you very much for following up with that address. I was at work and didn't have it, and then got home and forgot all about it. Again I appreciate your effort on that!

...........Buckshot

Dutch4122
10-10-2005, 10:08 PM
.........Dutch, thank you very much for following up with that address. I was at work and didn't have it, and then got home and forgot all about it. Again I appreciate your effort on that!

...........Buckshot

No need to thank me. Glad to be of help. ;)