PDA

View Full Version : Lyman 450 handle upgrade question?

msp2640
08-10-2015, 03:54 PM
Gents - I'm in the process of fixing up a few orange body 450s that I've picked over the past few years. One hand a non factory style handle, which I'd like to swap back to the original Lyman. I spoke with the customer service today and was told they still offer the handle conversion, for the first style grey body 450s to the later orange body ones. For those that have ordered the conversion, what parts are actually sent out by Lyman? In looking at different photos of both, obviously the handle assembly and the handle link are different, but are new screws shipped with it? Just wondering as the CS wasn't too sure. I'm just trying to get these back to factory style, 2 of them need some new factory linkage screws to replace some of the aftermarket ones that got swapped out in their lifetime, wasn't sure if I should order some of those as well or they already included - Thanks for the help - Bill in MA

lobowolf761
08-10-2015, 04:14 PM
I would say order the screws just to safe. Better to have them and not need them.than need them and not have them.

msp2640
08-12-2015, 01:19 AM
I got a bit better clarification, when I called the Lyman CS again today. A little more informed rep answered, but I ordered the handle conversion and screws anyway along with a few other things. Always good to have spare parts anyway - Thanks Bill

Hardcast416taylor
08-12-2015, 08:50 AM
Screws didn`t come with the 2 upgrade handle kits I got several years back. Be advised that the top for the lube resevoir may not fit with the new handles. Mine didn`t on 1 luber so I just put a large flat fender washer on in its place, instant fix.Robert

msp2640
08-14-2015, 01:07 PM
Gents - Just a follow up from my earlier post. After my second call to Lyman CS on Tues afternoon, I ordered the handle upgrade, all the needed screws and a few other things I wanted. It arrived late this morning, very quick turn around for somewhat small order ($70 or so) from the manufacturer. Everything was well packaged, especially since alot of the small parts were 1 or 2x quantity. Most importantly - The handle conversion contained the rubber coated type handle, typical of the orange 450s, new threaded neck to accommodate the handle, a new ram to accommodate the top punch, all of the associated hardware (screws, nuts, spacers and washers) and a copy of their small bullet casting manual that comes with their sizers - alot for the $20. Both of the sizers, I'm rehabbing, were the second generation models, which had the small lube reservoir cap anyway, so I should not encounter any handle clearance issues that others have dealt with when upgrading from early 450s with the gray paint. Hope to get to work this weekend and get the new parts installed, but need to clean up the body of one of the sizers first. Hope that info helps anyone contemplating or interested in fixing up a 450 sizer - Thanks Bill in MA