PDA

View Full Version : Thumlers Auto Shut-Down

Bayou52
08-10-2015, 11:32 AM
Hi, All -

Had my first Thumlers auto shut down due to excessive heat. It was 100 degrees in the garage, and the thermal auto shut down kicked in for the first time. I let it cool a bit, stared it back up, and put a fan on it for more air circulation. Worked fine with the fan, and finished the tumbling session.

Anyone else have a similar experience this summer?

http://i1244.photobucket.com/albums/gg578/Bayou413/IMG_20150810_101354_kindlephoto-32071605_zpssbezentf.jpg (http://s1244.photobucket.com/user/Bayou413/media/IMG_20150810_101354_kindlephoto-32071605_zpssbezentf.jpg.html)

Happy tumbling -

Bayou52

Artful
08-10-2015, 12:03 PM
I've had it happen in the past.

LUBEDUDE
08-10-2015, 08:25 PM
I would run two at time all summer long in the garage. However since I was just Molly coating bullets I only had them running 45 min on, 45 min off, 45 min on again. However, they were at maximum loads or above.

salpal48
08-11-2015, 08:22 AM
From your photo, It seems to be New. I have a HI speed thumbler 3300 rpm with a Fason Continuous run Motor. The new Thumbler are not made for Con. Run. The overload for heat and weight will kick in because they are no longer commercial grade made. The new Motors are Home owner safety Grade Like hair dryers and toasters. They are cheaper to produce
Mine is appox 25 years old . it will run all day , all night any temp and weight
You can swap it Out for a commercial Dayton. or others without that feature

Bayou52
08-11-2015, 10:31 AM
From your photo, It seems to be New. I have a HI speed thumbler 3300 rpm with a Fason Continuous run Motor. The new Thumbler are not made for Con. Run. The overload for heat and weight will kick in because they are no longer commercial grade made. The new Motors are Home owner safety Grade Like hair dryers and toasters. They are cheaper to produce
Mine is appox 25 years old . it will run all day , all night any temp and weight
You can swap it Out for a commercial Dayton. or others without that feature

Hi, salpal48 -

Yes, this Thumlers is fairly new - a couple of years old, and it also has the hi-speed motor with thermal auto shut off.

For my reference, I'm learning something new: I was unaware of commercial motors being available for this Thumler. I think I'd like to look into getting one.

Question - can you provide a link to a commercial motor you refer to that can fit onto the Thumlers frame and be interchageable with the factory motor? I like the idea of continous running without the auto shut off feature.

Thanks!

Bayou52

salpal48
08-11-2015, 11:13 AM
Mine came with a Commercial . They all did @ that time. Graingers, Global industrial, Dayton. They all have Them . Or even Used commercial Sewing machine motors. There all 115v 60 cy . with under 1 HP
Try surpluscenter.com they have a lot
Sal

gwpercle
08-11-2015, 03:34 PM
I wish the government would stop protecting us so much. I bought a new hot plate that will not stay on long enough to melt lead. ...My old one would. Returned that stinker.
Thanks for the heads up on the motor , I'll keep the 25 year old Thumbler I've been using, polishing rocks requires it to run for days on end, don't want that new improved auto shut down feature.
If the government wants to do something , they can balance the budget or do something helpful. Leave my hot plate and tumbler alone. As for motors, see if there is an electric motor repair shop, they can usually hook you up with decent commercial motor.
Gary

wv109323
08-11-2015, 03:41 PM
I have the TT Ultra-Vibe 18 which is not the rotary tumbler. When the motor quit on my unit I had to go back to TT for a replacement. The motor for the UV-18 was proprietary to them.
The horizontally mounted motor may be a different story since it is a simpler design. I am sure you can take the numbers on your motor and find a replacement.
As a note to UV-18 owners, TT has a commercial grade motor for the UV-18. The standard motor has bushings that are not thrust rated. Since the motor is mounted vertical, the weight of the rotor eventually wears the bushings (end play) where the rotor comes into contact with the motor housing and the fat lady sings.

Bayou52
08-11-2015, 04:09 PM
As for motors, see if there is an electric motor repair shop, they can usually hook you up with decent commercial motor.
Gary

That's a good idea, Gary. I did a quick google search for the commercial grade motor as a direct replacement for the Thumlers motor but couldn't find one. I'm sure they are out there, just haven't come across one.

I looked on the Thumlers motor, and this is the information that is printed on the motor label:

Fasco 71215777
Type U 21
3000 RPM
1/30 HP

I'm just not sure of the make and model of any commercial grade equivalent motor without the auto shut off feature. But as others have said, they are out there somewhere.

Thanks, Bayou52

gwpercle
08-11-2015, 05:10 PM
I'm not sure of your location, but if close to Baton Rouge, take the whole unit over to Muff's Electric Motor Service, 4868 North Blvd. Baton Rouge, La. and see Joe Muffoletto, the owner.
Or give Joe a call at (225) 927-9221 and see if he can translate those numbers into a new motor that will fit your base. He's been in the motor business forever, his dad started the shop in 1946.
Gary

Bayou52
08-11-2015, 05:13 PM
Thanks for the info and the lead, Gary.......

Bayou52

David2011
08-12-2015, 11:07 PM
After living 8 years in Slidell and Thibodaux I feel your pain - heat - humidity - mosquitoes.

David

6bg6ga
08-13-2015, 06:51 AM
I put my tumbler on a timer set to run at night. During the night the temps inside my garage can drop down to the 60-70 area making it ideal and I wake up to clean brass.

cajun shooter
08-14-2015, 09:37 AM
My first Thumblers Tumbler was purchased in or about 1972 while I was working in a gun store and was able to purchase at cost which was a bargain then. We had small bags of assorted rocks that the owner purchased for those who were buying the tumblers for the purpose they were made. I decided to pick up a bag and try out that side ability of my trusty brass cleaner.
The end results were unreal as the rocks came out looking like jewelry store stones!! This stage of finish did require a few weeks of use in a non-stop run. The machine never stopped for a second. IIRC that test was done in my garage in mid Louisiana summer of several days of temps over 90 and the humidity to match. Louisiana summer temps are something everyone should be exposed to at least once.
These machines were all USA made by proud workers, something that has been lost to our new world economy. Later David

Ken in Iowa
08-14-2015, 11:40 PM
Thermally protected motors are extremely common. Commercial grade included.

W.R.Buchanan
08-19-2015, 04:28 PM
Grainger can cross reference any motor number to all equivalent motors. There are a bunch of motor manufacturers. They all pretty much make the same motors but they have different numbers.

Also I watched my wife do a motor search on the computer which yielded a dozen mfg's of the same motor for our HVAC unit. We got a price that was <$1/4 of what the Mfg. of the HVAC unit wanted and they wanted $600+ for a motor we paid about $150 for.

It pays to shop around.

You are looking to replace the frame size first,,, Then the Voltage, HP and Rpms. The Frames sizes are all standardized so a "C" frame from, one MFG will be the same as another. Frame sizes are always included on the motor data plate.

I always try to increase Hp a little when replacing motors as that usually prolongs life.

My IR Air Compressor came with a Baldor 5 HP motor, However it was not a "Continuous Duty" 5 hp motor and as such when I got a new real 5HP motor it was bigger, and I had to modify the mount to fit it.

Note; it starts my compressor with authority now! The other motor was labored during the starting phase.

The end result here is that the amount of current a motor uses while in it's start up phase is carried thru the entire phase from zero to full speed where the current drops to running current given a specific load. The shorter that cycle is, the less energy you use, and also the less wear and tear there is on the motors Capacitors, which are dumping their contents into the windings to accelerate the process and define direction.

Hope some of this info helps.

Randy

Bayou52
08-20-2015, 07:45 AM
Thanks, Randy -

Checking around and searching seems to be the key - as you suggest. We have a local electric motor company that I'll check with, too. I'll see if I can come up with a substitute electric motor for thecThumlers tumbler without the thermal shut down feature that might be be of a heavier duty/grade.

Bayou52

Texantothecore
08-20-2015, 04:58 PM
I have had the motor shut off when the ambient temp was 100. Just put a fan on it and it will run fine.

Bayou52
08-20-2015, 05:35 PM
I have had the motor shut off when the ambient temp was 100. Just put a fan on it and it will run fine.

Thanks, Tex!

Texantothecore
08-20-2015, 05:38 PM
I make bp in my Thumler and I bought it because it does have a thermal shutdown that works as advertised. I can run it 24 hours in full confidence that it won't be catching fire.