PDA

View Full Version : Road Trip

Nueces
08-10-2015, 01:27 AM
Next month, a buddy and I are going on a road trip up and down the length of British Columbia. He is a life long resident of BC, but has never seen the upper half of his province. All I’ve ever experienced is the Vancouver area, where we will start. His wife will be traveling, I live alone, so ROAD TRIP!

We will rent or borrow a vehicle, something like a Ford Explorer and plan to stop at inns or motels. Most of the route is paved, but there is some maintained gravel. We both are in our late 60s.

I will fly up there from Texas, we will load up, take his wife to the Vancouver airport to visit family, then head north. Our proposed route is as follows, with planned stops in CAPS. Roughly Sept 26 to Oct 5. I used Google map trip estimates to put together this itinerary. No very long days, except the last one, nothing much over 7 hours. I put in a couple of short days to give us flexibility. There are long intervals between dots up north, which constrains planning.

From the Vancouver airport, to HOPE
Williams Lake, PRINCE GEORGE
Topley, Granisle, SMITHERS, via the cutoff
Hazelton, KITWANGA, via the Back Road
Meziadin Junction, Bell II, DEASE LAKE
Centreville, Watson Lake (Yukon), Fireside, MUNCHO LAKE
Toad River, Steamboat, FORT NELSON
Prophet River, Buckinghorse River, FORT ST JOHN or DAWSON CREEK
Chetwynd, Mackenzie, Prince George, WILLIAMS LAKE
100 Mile House, Cache Creek, then 99 to Whistler and West Vancouver, to the ferry over to Sechelt

Don’t those names sorta get your blood pumping?

This is a request for any nuggets of info or advice from any of y’all with BC experience. We may have thought of it, maybe not, but I’d like to hear whatever y’all have to say. This idea is only a few days old. All comments welcome, including ideas for route changes, equipment, places not to miss or to avoid, current intel on places and roads – you know. Wish BruceB was here to comment.

starmac
08-10-2015, 02:32 AM
I would top off your tank at Prince George, that will be the last decent price for gas you will see till you get back there, next closest will be at watson lake. I would top off there on the corner at Kitwanga. Dease Lake may or may not be open. Just for chits and grins, I would take a short side trip out of meziad junction to Hyder AK, just to say you have been there. Plus that is beautiful country.
You won't find many real good places to eat once you leave Prince george, I forget the name but there is a place on the right (north side of 16) it is kind of a square yellowish building next door to a laundry mat in Smithers that used to be pretty good. Meziad jct used to be good, but has been closed for several years unless someone has taken it over,Bell 2 does have a dining room for common folks, but don't like to serve them., Pull up in the tenajon at Iscut and park on the left side of the driveway, right on top, you can get a great picture of your vehicle with the mountain in the background, but I wouldn't try and consume what they call food there. About 10 miles north of Iskut will be a small sign, trappers (something or other, the place is off the road to the left, it is a little gift shop that is a must stop, the woman that runs it is a hoot, her and her husband bought a trapline there way back in the 50'or 60's and have been there every since. North of Dease lake about 60 miles before you get to the end of the Cassier will be Jade City with a gift shop on both sides of the road, the one on your left is also a must stop. They own the princess jade mine and have lots of carvings, I mean lots, and are some very nice folks, love her dad , but he has turned it over to them and bought an island off the coast somewhere. You might as well go through the sign post village at Watson lake, you will for recognize some of the signs there, and a good chance they will have one from your home town. Toad river is not too bad to eat at, you will see some caps from some familar companies on the ceiling there. bucking horse is probably the best on the route that I have eaten at.

You will see plenty of bears and eagles on the cassier, sheep buffalo and moose on the Alaska highway.
Lots of places to wet a line if you like to fish, I have driven that route 40 to 50 times, but mostly in a truck, so you will get a much better experience at the pace you are planning, great people along it, great wildlife , greatest scenery in the world, don't forget your camera with plenty of film or memory card, you will likely take several hundred pictures.
I have driven through all states except main, and all western provinces, and the drive you are takeing is my favorite, by far.
Have fun and be safe.

454 shooter
08-10-2015, 03:01 AM
That sounds like quite the trip. Several years ago I flew in to Edmonton, Alberta and drove to Grand Prairie for a day or so.
Not where you will be but some nice country anyway.

popper
08-10-2015, 10:23 AM
No tacos or hot sauce there? sounds like a dream trip, have to let the wife visit her relatives in Tn.

Nueces
08-10-2015, 11:11 AM
Very much appreciated, Starmac, that's great intel and from personal experience. That's just what we're looking for here.

454, I've been to Edmonton, too, and Calgary, but just airline layovers. Pretty, but the mountains are exciting!

Good call, popper, I'll pack some Pace's and Sriracha!