PDA

View Full Version : 1849 Colt Pocket Conversion Cylinder Accuracy

John Allen
08-09-2015, 10:31 PM
I have been debating one of these for awhile now. Has anyone done a cartridge conversion to 32 sw short and actually shot one? How is the accuracy the bore diameters look way to big to make it accurate.

Let me know what you think if you have shot one.

Thanks John

bedbugbilly
08-12-2015, 07:17 PM
John - I had a friend who had one a number of years ago that he put a conversion cylinder in. Performance was not that impressive if I remember correctly. Even in C & B, it was a "close up" weapon. If I remember correctly, he had to use a "heeled" boolit in it due to the larger bore size just like in the original conversions of the 51s, 60s, etc.

BUT . . . and it's a bit BUT . . . if a person got the pistol at the right price as well as the conversion cylinder . . and had the equipment and skill to do it . . . I think it would be a fun project to convert one but ream the barrel and sleeve it in a bore that was correct for the boolit size. In the end though . . . I question if the price of a new one and then the price of a conversion cylinder and mold for a boolit that would work well as compared to the use a person would get out of it would be worth the $$$. I'm also thinking that a person could keep his eyes open and pick up a decent vintage revolver that would be a shooter that was chambered in 32 SW short for a lot less money and still have a decent "shooter" without the $$$ that a converted '49 would cost to put together? Earlier this year, I saw a nice H & R revolver in really decent shape sell on an auction site for less than $200.

All depends on what a person wants to spend. I've been watching your post and was hoping that somebody would post with their experiences with a '49 conversion as it is an interesting revolver with a lot of history. Good luck and if you go that route, I hope you'll post about it.

Jim

John Allen
08-13-2015, 04:36 PM
Jim, thanks that was my concern. I just always liked the 1849s and have one so I was kicking it around.