PDA

View Full Version : The Useful .32-20 (Fur-Fish-Game Aug 1917)

ohland
08-09-2015, 09:35 PM
https://books.google.com/books?id=uB4AAAAAMAAJ&pg=RA5-PA30&dq=winchester+25-20&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0CDAQ6AEwATgeahUKEwjWpJK4qp3HAhWDXZIKHXENCSM#v =onepage&q=winchester%2025-20&f=false

NOTE: The scan cuts off the right side of page 30 and the left side of page 31. My best guess is based on context and the period writing style. So if I guessed wrong, be as so kind as to provide correct text.

Fur-Fish-Game vol 26, (?) No. 2, Aug 1917, pages 30-31

THE USEFUL .32-20.
By Maurice H. Decker.

IF YOU ARE considering the purchase of an all-round weapon for extensive small and medium game shooting you will do well to consider a rifle using one of the most popular center-fire cartridges in existence—the .32 W. C. F. or .32-20. Like its fellow calibers the .38-40 and .44-40, this cartridge may be found in use in every country of the globe and can usually be obtained wherever shells are sold. By using the different loads adapted to this caliber a good variety of game may be brought down by its deadly and accurate fire, without the work of reloading mid and short-range loads.

To begin with, the .32 Smith & Wesson short revolver shell, while not being recommended by makers, will shoot very nicely in the .32-20 rifle and forms a very desirable load for dropping small game animals and for target shooting and short ranges. This shell charged with nine grains of powder and 85 of lead can be to some extent compared to the popular long rifle .22 cartridge although not possessing its range, and will kill small animals cleanly because of its round, pointed bullet. These .32 shorts can not be worked through the magazine of repeaters, but will be thrown out of the gun by the ejector and this allows fairly rapid firing even if each shell has to be started into the chamber by hand.

When out for game shooting I generally keep a short in my Model 92 Winchester and if a squirrel or rabbit is spied, I am in a position for a quick shot. If, however, a larger animal comes into view it is an easy matter to throw out the short and reload with one of the regular shells from the magazine. I know of a good many farmers and stock men who use the .32-20 for butchering purposes, shooting hogs with shorts and cattle with the regular load. A better combination could hardly be chosen or secured with but one rifle, as nothing less powerful than the .32-20 will drop a heavy steer down to stay while hogs require a light charge similar to the S. & W. for best results in bleeding.

The factories recommend the .32-20 for game as small as squirrel, but I have found the flat pointed bullet tears up rabbit and even geese pretty thoroughly and when I shoot either of these I want as much meat left for the kettle or fry-pan as possible. For woodchcuck shooting, a sport coming into universal popularity with the increasing depopulation of our other game animals, the .32-20 is an ideal caliber.

Loaded with the new 105 hollow point bullet it is a sure killer at short and medium ranges and at distances of 200 to 250 yards the High Velocity shells will do good work and shoot much more accurately than one would at first suppose. The average type of low-pressure high-velocity loads intended for use in black powder barrels, such as the .45-70 H. V., .45-90 H. V. and .50-110 H. V., etc. were intended only for short hunting ranges; but much better results may be expected from the .32-20 and also the .25-20 High Velocity loads, in accuracy and holding up at long ranges.

Since the .32-20 cartridges have been put out with smokeless powder and lead bullets, sufficient combinations and styles of loads can now be obtained to suit the tastes and requirements of all shooters of this caliber. Personally, I prefer the regular load of 20 grains of black powder behind the lead bullet, but as the barrel becomes more or less fouled after 25 to 30 rounds of this ammunition and requires the regular use of a field cleaner to maintain regular accuracy, I would earnestly recommend the smokeless loads for steady shooting. The metal patched bullet with the smokeless charge of regular power will also prove a valuable load for killing small game without excessive tearing when one happens to be out of the S. & W. shorts.

The .32-20 High Velocity with its 1640 feet per second velocity and its energy of 1282 foot pounds is really a deadly little killer at medium ranges, possessing as it does a higher velocity than the Winchester .32 and .35 Self-Loading calibers, and the .32-40 and .38-55 black powder loads. This shell has been used with success many times upon deer and even bear and although for the regular hunting of these animals I would always recommend a heavier caliber, the hunter or trapper need have no fear or hesitation of taking a shot at either should it cross his path at a reasonable range. This is a pleasant shooting little cartridge with no noticeable recoil and the few of these loads the average shooter will have occasion to use will have little wearing effect upon his black powder rifle barrel. However, if one intends to use considerable numbers of such shells it will pay him to have his .32-20 repeater equipped with a nickel-steel barrel which the factories making repeaters of this caliber will do at a moderate cost.

There are a number of very desirable single shot and repeating rifles made to handle the .32-20 cartridge. Among the single shot weapons the Stevens Ideal Model leads, I believe, in reliability and low price. It possesses a beautiful balance and appearance and is heavy enough to make steady holding possible with little effort. For accuracy it cannot be excelled, for Stevens' goods have a famous reputation the world over for close, hard shooting. The model in .32-20 caliber comes with 26-inch barrel, weighs seven and a quarter pounds and one at this writing be obtained for around $10 [ed. scan is poor],
smokeless powder barrel $3.00 extra and comes in take-down form. For target work and occasional game hunting in settled districts close to home one could hardly wish for a better little weapon. For the regular hunter and trapper, however, I believe the repeater will provide greater value and in the following paragraphs will give descriptions of several of these which in my opinion leave little to be desired in the form of a .32-20 rifle.

When years of faithful service and popularity among old timers and pioneers who generally know a good thing when they see it are taken into consideration, the Model 1873 Winchester leads in prominence, it being one of the most famous repeaters in existence. It is, however a little too heavy and clumsy in handling when compared to the Model '92 to be seriously considered by modern buyers, particularly as the H. V. loads can not be recommended for it. The '92 gun is one of the neatest proportioned repeaters ever made and possesses an action which for strength and smoothness has never been equaled. It is a small edition of the famous game getting Model 1886 and when equipped with round barrel and shotgun butt with steel butt plate will make a very quick handling rifle with a very good balance. The shotgun and the carbine butt are the only styles that make rapid firing from the shoulder practical and certain, having in my opinion the sharp cornered rifle butt outclassed in every particular.

If you care to dispense with the thirteen shell capacity of the full magazine, one of half length will improve both the balance and appearance of the Model 1892 and slightly cut down its weight. For extreme light weight and general service the hunter and trapper should examine and handle, if possible, the half-magazine .32-20 carbine which for its weight and size will furnish as much actual business shooting as any other style of this class. For use in a country where medium sized and large game may be frequently seen I would advise a carbine with a special smokeless steel barrel and the almost exclusive use of the H. V. loads. With this light little weapon the trapper could drop anything that crossed his path, from a Canada jay to a big bear in a steel trap or even at large and in case of a deer crossing his trail at short range he would stand a very good chance of eating venison at his next meal.

Unless, however, there was an extraordinary good chance for a hit, I would not advise a shot at a deer with the .32-20 H. V. at over 70 yards unless the hunter is badly in need of meat, as there are far too many animals shot with low power guns each season that escape the hunter and die in the woods or brush, of no benefit to anyone and of no use to this world except to furnish food for wolves, the '92 carbine is stocked and built in general for hard usage and should be equipped with a peep sight, preferably a Marble's peep, to obtain the greatest possible distance between sights and make up in this particular for the four inch longer barrel of the regular model.

The Marlin Firearms Company put out two types of repeaters handling the .32-20 shell; but my preference is for the Model 27. This rifle is the pump action, shoots eight times and is fitted regularly with the special smokeless barrel, several features for which Marlin rifles have been noted for years are incorporated in this model. These are the solid top, which protects the shooter's face from defective or hang-fire shells which sometimes have been known to explode in the action and keeps dirt and moisture from interfering with its correct manipulation; the side ejection, which never throws the empty cases in one's face or across the line of sight and the peep Ballard system of rifling, which guarantees the long life of the barrel. The Marlin action is exceedingly simple and after a little usage wears down smooth and silent. Being very accurate and exceedingly fast, this Marlin is an excellent rifle for practice at moving objects and targets thrown into the air, practice at which work will prove of immense value to the practical hunter and trapper.

ohland
08-09-2015, 10:28 PM
Please do NOT try to take down a big bear with a 32-20. Chances are you are not wearing little bells -OR- doused yourself with pepper spray...

"With this light little weapon the trapper could drop anything that crossed his path, from a Canada jay to a big bear in a steel trap or even at large"

rking22
08-09-2015, 10:30 PM
thanks for posting, I love these insights into out history!

LtFrankDrebbin
08-11-2015, 07:13 AM
Thanks for posting that. Great article. 8-) A lot of the practicals still hold true for todays shooter. My little 92 is a pleasure to carry around for an arvo.

35remington
08-11-2015, 06:57 PM
It is a great cartridge, but he credited it with nearly twice as much muzzle energy as it actually can attain.

Der Gebirgsjager
08-12-2015, 12:38 AM
Thanks, ohland--I enjoyed reading it.

Rustyleee
08-12-2015, 12:48 AM
I wish Rossi would make a 92 in .32-20.

TXGunNut
08-13-2015, 09:52 PM

Or a Marlin 94.

45workhorse
08-13-2015, 11:24 PM
10" barreled Contender. Just plain fun to shoot.:bigsmyl2:

rosst
08-14-2015, 04:15 AM

yes to that . .. R

Dan Cash
08-14-2015, 07:24 AM
As a daily user of a Marlin 94, Colt Army Special and Uberti Single Action all in .32-20, I can attest to the usefulness of the cartridge. It is potent, accurate and cheap to shoot. 105 grain bullet at 1650+- from the rifle and 1350 from the revolvers drops coyotes and smaller animals with authority. We don't have bears here and I would not wnat to crawl into a hole after a mountain lion with one but a cat in a tree would be ok.

RJM52
08-14-2015, 08:18 AM
A friend has both the 32-20 and 25-20 Marlin 1894s that were made back in the 1970s I think...they now sell for over a grand when you can find one.

Bob

semtav
09-11-2015, 11:14 PM
Ive got all three!! ( the 218 Bee too) Sure glad I was impulsive a few years ago !!!!

MtGun44
09-12-2015, 11:48 AM
Perhaps "deep Ballard rifling" instead of "peep Ballard rifling" near the end.
Interesting article. Wouldn't use a .32-20 on deer let alone bear, but folks
in those days were a lot poorer than we know, and saving every penny on
guns and ammo was needed.

northmn
09-13-2015, 10:30 AM
I have used a Marlin 94 DU for a few years now and find it best loaded clsoe to the 73 load or around 1300 fps. While I ahve been involved int he deer hunting debate I consider the littel cartridge to be of almost no use for that purpose. I don't know where the guy gets his info on butchering but when I was more self sufficeint a group of us had a yearly fall ritual butchering beef and used 22LR's at clsoe range and dropped them in their tracks. Seen a lot of butcher beef dropped with the 22. Same for hogs.
Basically I think the little center fires kind of died off due to rim fire advances. I use a 22 mag now for about the same uses I carry the 32-20 for. Maybe the 32 is better on coyotes, but the 22mag will take one out. Advantage of the 32 is that it is cheaper to shoot at this time as I can cast bullets for it and have plenty of brass. As to its comparison with the 357 mag, I feel my Rossi 92 is a little more versatile. If one buys ammo the 38 specials are available which do not do much damage to small game. I shot a lot of small game with a 38 special revolver. The 357 loaded properly is a much better deer cartridge. Both are more available and less expensive than the 32-20 as factory ammo. Don't really use either for larger game as I see not need to when I own more adequate deer rifles. Still the little 32 is a fun little rifle and gets its use. I would feel kind of silly holding one if a 10 point midwestern buck at over 200 pounds came into view at 80 to 100 yards.

DP

Greg S
09-13-2015, 12:56 PM
http://www.leverguns.com/articles/paco/3220wcf.htm. Interesting article on the 32-20 by Paco Kelly.

Tried a friends B53 I believe some time ago and thought it was a neat cartridge. This spring I stubled across a Winokou 92 in 32-20 with an octogon barrel. Fun accurate gun for the 200 rds of 100 gr Js though it. Recently I picked up a Mihec 4c 312-640 GC and a 312 SH to feed this thing. Watch out though, they are addicting. The Winokou led to a Ruger Buckeye 32-20 & 32 H&R and toying with the idea of a Ruger S7 in 327 FM. The 32 H&R cylinder is going to Bowen to get reamed to 327.

Hmmmm. I wonder if Green Mountain has a .312 barrel that could be fitted to a Rossiand reamed to 327 FM. I thought about getting a barrel lined but I think the operating pressure is above the safety threshold of a liner.

Blackwater
09-13-2015, 04:15 PM
Once again, Ohland, thanks for this great article. Most folks today have forgotten about the older "small game rifles" like the .32/20. I think that's largely because most of us can probably trace our roots back through the era of the Great Depression, where due to lack of any funds, most folks got along with a .22 LR and a 12 ga. shotgun, often both in single shot form. This simplification of our armaments, generally, led to the widespread dependency on the cheap (at one time, at least!) .22's, and why the other gauges besides the 12 became so predominant and so accepted as "the standards." Back then, if one had a .30/30, he was considered pretty "well off," and likely used it often to put meat on the table. I know in my area of the world, it's been said by many in a position to know, that the deer around her that once were plentiful, suddenly kind'a "disappeared" when folks were hunting for the table because if they didn't, they'd have gone hungry. Few in law enforcement had the heart or stupidity to tell folks they had to go hungry back then because someone in a far off capitol had written up some law they were supposed to follow!

That article has me wanting a Stevens M-27 pump, and I don't even know what those even look like. Time to do a google search I guess? Thanks again for a very interesting and relevant article, even if it's NOT widely considered as such today. Some of those older guns just aren't "shiny" or "glitzy" enough, and would probably be looked down upon today, but it'd be the loss of those who did so. Those old M-92's are STILL a great solution to many problems, and a pleasure to handle. In my area, they're very rarely seen, though. Pity, that! Thanks again for your generosity in posting these articles. I've enjoyed every one of them greatly!

John Boy
09-13-2015, 04:29 PM
I wish Rossi would make a 92 in .32-20. Me too!

ddixie884
09-13-2015, 05:08 PM
Me III................

jonp
09-13-2015, 05:15 PM
Please do NOT try to take down a big bear with a 32-20. Chances are you are not wearing little bells -OR- doused yourself with pepper spray...

"With this light little weapon the trapper could drop anything that crossed his path, from a Canada jay to a big bear in a steel trap or even at large"
You caught that too, huh? Im thinking he was referring to black bears but even so I'm pretty sure im not taking a shot at one except in an emergency. Neat old article. I had a subscription to Hardings Mag for several years. I think ill renew it

jonp
09-13-2015, 05:17 PM
Id buy one

velocette
09-18-2015, 09:36 PM
I relined & chambered a Whitney 2nd model rolling block in .32/20. It is everything that folks say it is. virtually no recoil, light report, accurate and easy
to reload for. I'm very pleased with my choice and so have been every other antique shooter that has tried out the rifle.

quilbilly
09-19-2015, 10:38 PM
10" barreled Contender. Just plain fun to shoot.:bigsmyl2: Dittos to that and any coyote at under 150 yards and will sit still long enough for my eyes to focus will die.

rking22
09-21-2015, 04:46 PM
For those who appriciate the little 32-20, if you come across a Rem M25 GRAB IT ! They are about the size of a 22LR pump (Rem12 and 121) but chambered in 25-20 and 32-20. The carbine is tiny, the rifle only slightly longer. Very accurate and up to the use of the 92HV loads. These little rifles are what lead me to the 32-20 cartridge. the rifle will clover leaf 311008 on 4.5 of unique at 40 yards. Yes I am a 32-20 fan , I confess :)