PDA

View Full Version : lee 452-288-1r

HCL
03-30-2008, 03:36 AM
Found one new in box at gunshow today, (and no shipping!) got it home and made up a pile, will see how my 1911 likes them tomorrow.
Anyone using this mould with good results?
Thanks
Mike

dubber123
03-30-2008, 10:22 AM
I have shot about 18,000 of them in the last 2 years in my 1911. Some don't like the short nose, but my gun loves them. Easier to get a loaded round out of the ejection port than some designs.

BCB
03-30-2008, 11:03 AM
HCL,

Got a picture and what do they actually weigh? Kinda like to see what the actual boolit looks like rather than catalogue stuff. Thanks...BCB

Bullshop
03-30-2008, 11:41 AM
Dont you mean lee 228 1r?
Shoots OK but I have problems with seating depth and pressure in relation to published load data.
The problem is the 1r ogive needs to be seated very deep in the case so as not to jam into the rifling and cause incomplete chambering. The deep seating has the base of the boolit too far donw in the case reducing capacity and raising pressure. Also the base is reaching the depth in the case where the walls are begining to get thicker so the base of the boolit is begining to make a bulge or ring on the outside of the case where the boolit base is.
I was loading these boolits for comercial sale and they were causing too many problems with too many guns. If loading for just one gun you can probably find just the right balance of seating depth and powder charge to work but when that ammo may be fired in whatever comes along it can be a problem.
I went to the 2R TL and it solved the problems. It can be seated to a more normal depth that can duplicate the length of the milsurp 230 ball round. I run them through a .451" lube sizer for lubbing only as they generally dont need sizing this being a tumble lube design. Just works out a whole lot better for me this way.
Blessings
BIC/BS

BCB
03-30-2008, 11:43 AM
If Bullshop is correct..."Dont you mean lee 228 1r?", that might be a bit light for my 45LC, yet I wouldn't mind seeing a picture...BCB

HCL
03-30-2008, 12:56 PM
Thanks for the catch, my fingers were going faster than brain! Sorry.
lubed weight was pretty consistant 230.4

When I loaded them I did notice the deep seating, ran them through the 1911 and all seamed to cycle and chamber fine. Headed to range today will let you know how they work out. The seating depth is very similar to Gold dots.
I have a single cavity 452374, it takes forever to work up a pile, but they shoot really nice. Hoping this one would speed things up some.
I will try and post a picture later today with the 452374 for compairison, charging camera now.
Thanks
Mike

HCL
03-30-2008, 01:20 PM
here are a couple that did not make the brass.

Left is the 452-228-1r ------- Right 452374

My 374 top punch has gone awol so the flat tip and ring (boolit on left) is not part of the original casting.

BCB
03-30-2008, 02:38 PM
HCL,
Nice pictures...I think those would work better in your 1911 than my Blackhawk. But I'm always looking to try other designs since I got my 45LC...BCB

HCL
04-06-2008, 05:45 PM
Worked out the seating depth and have shot about 300 so far, cycles good, no feeding or pressure issues. Keeping the loads light though. (850fps approx)Headed to range tonight for more testing.
Switched from Unique to Bullseye, what a differnace. Bullseye is much cleaner and less smoke.
First batch only lubed bottom grove, no leading, pretty accurate. Tonights batch lubed both grooves, will see if it makes any differance??
Mike