PDA

View Full Version : Lucky 7 lube

igolfat8
08-09-2015, 10:46 AM
I have been experimenting with lube recipes for a few years and have not really settled on a formula that I am 100% pleased with. When I got into casting my own pistol boolits I had a heck of a time totally eliminating lead until now. Last season I went back and forth between Mike's 6-6-6-1, Lithi-bee variants and Felix lubes. Mike's worked pretty well except for leading in the first half inch of [my] barrels. Felix worked about the same and was just a pain to cook up. Both lubes left a lot of wax build up around my breach faces and extractors. I tried tumble lubes as well but they were the worst (for me) for leading.

FWIW, I shoot 12-ish Brinell lead out of mostly .40 S&W with a few .45 pills and 9's mingled in just for fun. I shoot about 16K rounds annually of .40s alone but far less .45s and 9's. Keep in mind that I only shoot lead in pistols and have no experience with rifle lead projectiles.

Just a bit of background info on me; I work for a Fortune 100 company in the role of Maintenance Reliability Engineer. I manage the Predictive Maintenance organization, Oil Lab Wear Particle Analysis program and the Maintenance Oiler personnel and have spent 38 years in the Maintenance organization. I am NOT a chemist but do have some light background in Tribology.

One of our other U.S. manufacturing plants had been testing an oil additive, in several different applications, with excellent results. My counterpart, at our sister division, had called me and urged me to consider trying a new product that they had been using. They had found a gearbox that was alarmingly hot, and a bore scope inspection revealed the gear teeth were nearly gone. The vibration amplitude peaks were in alarm level and to make matters worse, the lead time on a new gear set was 10 weeks out. If this gearbox failed they would have shut down their conveyor system to their physical distribution warehouse halting finished product flow. They drained the oil in the gearcase and filled it with virgin gear oil and put this additive in the gearbox. A few hours later the temperature and vibration amplitudes dropped, significantly under the software’s alarm levels. They were able to continue running the conveyor system, without any downtime, until the new parts arrived 10 weeks later.

My counterpart also shared two other success stories with me that almost sounded too good to be true. We’ve all heard the old saying when it sounds too good to be true … it usually is?

I called the salesman and set up a meeting. Many salesmen that I deal with are trying to get their foot in our door with hopes of landing a huge contract but a few will surprise me on occasion. The salesman sent me literature and a few weeks later we met. After the husband and wife sales couple had put on their “dog and pony show” touting their product as the best thing since sliced bread they left a couple sample quarts with me to test. I always take these meetings with a grain of salt until the product proves itself in testing and actual field use.

First we ran in house Falex film strength tests with surprising results. Next we sent samples to an independent lab for certified ASTM testing. The results came back a few weeks later, again with surprising results compared to another product we currently use.

September 2014 we added the oil additive to four crane trolley gearboxes at the suggested ratio of 5%. Due to the way we use this crane, to flip 15 ton tool dies, we routinely replace these four gearboxes every two months on average. In July 2015, I ordered an inspection of these gearboxes, because none had failed since last September. The gears were all worn but none of them had failed and this amazed me. It got me thinking, what if I could use this in my boolit lube. I wondered if it could have any effect on the first ½” of leading that I could not eliminate.

I mixed up a batch of lube, with this additive, and to my amazement my leading is gone, completely! As of yesterday I have shot 1000 rounds without cleaning my barrel. I have done visual inspections every 100 rounds and there is NOTHING in my barrel but a mirror shine and a few flakes of powder.
I am not touting this as the “end all, be all” lube but it has worked amazingly well for me. I have no dog in this fight nor do I have any connections with the additive company other than being an end user. Is this additive responsible for my success? I don’t really know because I have not made a batch of lube to test without the additive. Therefore, that will be my next step to test. I am just so elated to have stumbled on this that I wanted to share it with you folks if you had an interest in trying it out?

I call this lube Lucky 7 because it was pure luck that I came up with it but "luckily" I kept accurate notes when I brewed up a small batch of 7 ingredients to test. Must be the Engineer in me ;) SO without further ado here is the recipe:

37 Grams paraffin
37 Grams Johnson’s Paste Wax
37 Grams cheap lithium grease
21 Grams Fastex Surface Modifier
http://www.fastexlubes.com/main.php?cat_id=84
1 Teaspoon grated Ivory soap flakes
69 Grams of Beeswax
3 Crayons in the color of your choice

- Melt, under LOW heat, paraffin, grease, JPW until liquid.
- Stir with whisk
- Add Fastex Surface Modifier,
- Whisk in Ivory until melted
- Remove from heat
- Melt in Beeswax & crayons last
- Pour into molds for Star lubri-sizer or pan for future use.

If you test this lube, please share your results with me as I would like to hear how it works for others.

Yodogsandman
08-11-2015, 04:29 PM
So, how do we go about getting some Fastex Surface Modifier to try?

How does it shoot?

Dave C.
08-11-2015, 05:52 PM
Or you could size your boolits to fit your gun.

igolfat8
08-11-2015, 09:24 PM
It shoots very accurately. Its taken a while to find a load that meets the needs of the games we play at our two local clubs. I won our 3 gun match last Saturday and I am very competitive in bowling pins and steel plates ;) I shoot Bullseye which is not one of the cleanest powders on the planet and I just remain amazed how clean the bore, chamber and slide remains after hundreds of rounds.

Absolutely NO smoke unlike the smoke I got from Mike's and Felix lubes. NO black greasy gunk and crud build up on the extractor and breach face.

I ordered my Fastex through:

Innovative Lubrications
Phone: (970) 618-8804
http://innovativelubrications.com/store/contact-us

igolfat8
08-11-2015, 09:41 PM
Or you could size your boolits to fit your gun.
Been there and done that Dave.

I don't want to sound like a shill for Fastex so please don't read that into this thread. I am not 100% sure its solely responsible for the overall cleanliness and lack of smoke or if its just pure luck that all of the ingredients are just happy playing with one another. I do know that Fastex has worked EXTREMELY well in various mechanical / lube applications in our factory which gave me the idea of trying to incorporate it into my boolit lube.

FWIW, I am using the Fastex in my Ed's Red which I use as my gun cleaner / lube and bore pre-lube.

BTW, the Lucky 7 runs great through my Star without any heater. Its not gummy or sticky to handle either while loading. I let some lubed boolits set over night and it seemed a bit drier feeling.

303Guy
08-12-2015, 02:03 AM
Very interesting. Now for someone to try it in a rifle lube!

Might I suggest trying it in other lube recipes that previously 'failed'? This could be a breakthrough for us.

leftiye
08-12-2015, 06:22 AM
Zero residue (clean bore) is one of the criteria for a good (being one of the better) lube. I am tempted to say it doesn't seem that any of your other ingredients could be responsible for this characteristic. By all means, add some to your other lubes that leaded, and see what happens, to include what the bore condition is that results (other than leading).

leftiye
08-12-2015, 06:25 AM
Err, do you have carnauba in your other lubes? JPW is partly carnauba, a very hard wax that makes barrels shine like mirrors.

igolfat8
08-12-2015, 09:45 PM
I don't have carnuba or JPW in my other current lubes. Though I have used JPW in some tumble lubes in the past. Good point. I will try Fastex in my other lubes to see what happens. Thanks for suggesting it.

runfiverun
08-13-2015, 01:07 AM
for those that don't want to buy this stuff.
it's ingredients are basically ester 100 A/C oil and atf, the pao's they talk about are also used as the oil base for some 2 stroke oils.
my simple lube could be modified with some $6.00 air conditioning [for your car] ester 100 oil to make a very similar outcome happen.
the fancy names they throw around are just basic oil bases, nothing spectacular once you learn the lingo.

I have a couple of bottles of everything they use in this oil and with a little experimentation I could duplicate their results.
my first step would be to add 1/2 tsp of the ester 100 oil to my simple lube, so anybody else that wants to try it can easily find the recipe here and modify it to duplicate these results.

bruce381
08-13-2015, 02:39 AM
Do know know this stuff but typically with no SDS or real info if most likley a chloro paraffin.

Under heat acids will form so run a TAN on your gearbox oils, acid will cause rust.

Says has been around 20 years so Chlor is a good guess, newer esters do and have replaced chlor products as I rmember other than gelling with water ingress they are pretty good.

chlor will quite and cool gearboxes the acid corrosin issue is real, chlor products are in the "late night run an engine with oil drained" comercials.

Bruce CLS

303Guy
08-23-2015, 03:44 AM
I found ester 100 A/C oil on the internet but it's blue. I need it to be red - I want to add it to Edd's Red. I'm hoping someone produces it in red, failing that, can one remove the coloring from oils? I don't expect so.

Landshark9025
08-23-2015, 10:21 AM
Blue and red make green. Zombie cleaner/lube. :)

I have found it in clear but it has the ICE 32 additive. Made by "Certified A/C Pros". Is a mostly white bottle I got at Advance Auto Parts.

runfiverun
09-01-2015, 10:50 AM
mine is a gold color, more natural for the base oils used.[shrug]
the lube comes out green from the mix of atf and 2 stroke oil anyway, red would just tint it darker and blue would just tint it darker more. [more darker]

keep the ester oils in a super low concentration, this stuff is slippery.