PDA

View Full Version : I think I Scored Big Time

LAGS
08-08-2015, 02:08 PM
I think I got a good deal, and hopefully my pictures will post.
I went to the scrap yard across the street from one of my projects to get some scrap lead.
Well they were out, because they just shipped out what they had.
But the guy said, I saved these for you, you want them.
There was a 1/4 full 5 gallon bucket of .45 caliber bullets in all sizes from 200 gr SWC, 230 RN and 250 gr FP and some that look like 350 gr or better.
There were also plastic bags in the bucket from Larado Bullet Co. that matched what was in the bucket.
The bucket weighed 68 lb and I asked him what he wanted for it.
Normally I buy from them once a month at 40 cents a pound, and get to pick what I want, like COWW if they have them ,sheet lead or other types of lead.
The guy said, $25.00 and it is yours.
That minus the plastic bucket comes to 38 cents a pound for cast Sized and Lubed bullets ready to go

4719dave
08-08-2015, 02:15 PM
okay .good day ..

LAGS
08-08-2015, 02:25 PM
I am trying to attach pictures , but it ain't working

RogerDat
08-08-2015, 04:15 PM
Buy those guys a bag of donuts or take them a cooler of something cold. They really hooked you up.

Try resizing the pictures smaller before upload, takes less time to upload smaller file reduces window of network issues breaking the upload. And less likely to get stalled by the server trying to resize a full resolution picture down to web friendly size.

LAGS
08-08-2015, 04:50 PM
Buy him donuts.
I think he ripped me off.
When I dumped out the bucket of bullets, there was a ton of Copper in the bottom of the bucket.
So he sold me Brand New Jacketed bullets for scrap lead prices. is that a rip off or what ? ( just kidding )
There are some .357 JHP 125 gr some 270 HPBT and a few different others.
The guy treats me good, because our company built his building. Well they built the building for our companies first off back in the 80's and then sold it to him years later.
But I will take care of him and his crew.
Funny thing, this is the second good thing to happen to me in two days.
Yesterday I went to Jack in the Box to get lunch.
When I got to the window in the drive thru, the lady said my lunch was already paid for by the lady in the car in front of me. FOR Real.
I looked around, and there was no one behind me , or I would have passed on the kindness.

The issue with the pictures is mostly me and my Inability to run a computer.
I do the post, go to advanced, then to manage attachments, then hit Add Files.
Then it says to open pictures and drag them to the box.
That is it, they wont attach.

LAGS
08-08-2015, 05:13 PM
Lets try it again

RogerDat
08-08-2015, 07:13 PM
Well that worked and they are purty. The year on your camera is one year off. Says todays date but last year.

LAGS
08-08-2015, 07:42 PM
Half the time I dont even know what Day it is.
Me and Electronics don't get along.
My Magnetic Personality fouls them up.
Then my Explosive Personality throws them as far as I can.

LAGS
08-08-2015, 08:03 PM
This is about 1/4 of them, that I sorted already

LAGS
08-08-2015, 10:51 PM
Here is the final sorting.
Just the lead from the ones I dont shoot comes to 25 Lb
So that means, I got everything else for Free, and had to pay $1.00 a pound for Lyman #2 lead

blaser.306
08-08-2015, 11:03 PM
You made out good with ready to load Boolits, But if I were you . I would verify the hardness of the commercial cast stuff, and possibly cut it down when melting it to re cast! The stuff we get up here a lot of the time is far too hard to be of any use except to lead barrels badly. People who do not understand seem to want slugs that are as hard as the back of their head!

LAGS
08-08-2015, 11:04 PM
Here is a rough count.
1000+ .45 200 gr SWC
500 .44 245 gr SWC ( that I dont shoot )
100 .45 230 RN
30 .45 -300 gr ( that I dont shoot )
50 .45 500gr ( that I dont shoot )
50 9mm RN and CN 125 gr
75 .357 - 125 JHP
100 .224 SP ( that I dont shoot )
80 .270 HPBT ( that I dont shoot )

I already Horse Traded away the .224' s
And I have to check with some friends and see if they want the .44's to resize them for his 44/40 and the .45 rifle bullets for a 45/90
I dont know anyone who shoots a .270 (Yet.)

Beagle333
08-08-2015, 11:29 PM
That's a good haul!! :-D

LAGS
08-08-2015, 11:53 PM
Heck, I forgot the best part of the deal.
I got a Brand New Home Depot Orange Bucket TOO.
Just kidding, I get 5 galon buckets by the ton from the painters on my jobs.
Painter starts one of my buildings in a week.
So I can have 20 more in a week after he starts.

bangerjim
08-09-2015, 12:03 AM
It is nice when someone sells a friend's/relative's stash of boolits! I have done the same....dozens and dozens of pounds of precast and FMJ's ! I had to strip the lube out but 45# of precast is nice. And over 70# of new FMJ's in 9/30/38 was nice too!

Nice find.

LAGS
08-09-2015, 01:04 AM
The general feeling is , some reloader died, and his family just took these to the scrap yard to get rid of them.
But I will take them, and I am not greedy, so I will pass the savings on to friends.
But I would rather Horse Trade for stuff I need or want.
But even if I sold these to my friends at Half the retail, I an coming out smelling like a rose.
But for the most part, I will give away what I can for my friends that are not as advantaged as I am right now.
But with this find, I am still where I was this morning.
I went to the scrap yard to find some sheet lead because I have 20 lb of Antimony coming in from California on Monday.
I wanted to spend tomorrow smelting the lead into ingots, so I can smelt my own KNOWN blends.
Well that Idea is out the window for now.
But I am not going to pass up a good deal just because it wasn't what I was looking for.
From the get go I had my friends in mind.
As long as I break even on the money I put out, I am happy.
Is $5.00 a good deal on 100- .224 SP jacketed bullets?
That is about what I sold them for in a trade.

Chris24
08-09-2015, 01:23 AM
$5 is a really good deal; that's a nickel each. The cheapest I've seen 55 grain .224 lately is 7-8 cents each, and that's if you buy 1000+.

LAGS
08-09-2015, 01:27 AM
See why my friends like me ?

zomby woof
08-09-2015, 06:41 PM
you did very good!

LAGS
08-15-2015, 01:14 AM
I got 4 friends coming by tomorrow to buy the sorted bullets from me.
I think i will auction them off to them.
I know they are going to be fighting over them big time.
Cast Lubed bullets for scrap lead prices, they cant go wrong.

RogerDat
08-16-2015, 10:02 AM
I picked up some scrap from the yard awhile back, the fellows working in the back told me an old guy and his son brought it in. The older gentleman said his vision was getting so bad he could not reload safely (could read calipers) so he was getting out of it. Worked under a bench mounted magnifying class for awhile but now it was time.

He brought in part of a 500 cnt. box of HBWC and couple boxes with hollow points all for 38/357, some rolls of soft lead wire (traded to member that swages) and some linotype cast into ingots. Bunch of WW ingots which I left since I get WW's for less than the ingots were priced at. I was glad to get the score but was struck by the class being shown by the gentleman knowing when it was time to quit, and a little sad. Someday I figure I'll be facing that same dilemma provided I live that long. Someday but not this day.

LAGS
08-16-2015, 11:59 AM
Well, only one friend was able to make it over yesterday.
So he took the whole lot of lead boolits for the scrap lead price.
He looked like he had died and gone to bullet heaven.
He was so happy, and what he doesnt use he will melt them down for other bullets.
But , I bet he does sell some off the the others at a slightly inflated price to recoup some of his money.
Hay, more power to him.
I got my cash back, and now it is back to the scrap yard next week, cash in hand.