PDA

View Full Version : Sako Rifles

Clay M
08-08-2015, 02:03 PM
I have enjoyed these rifles over the years.I remember the first one I bought when I was young. It was a Forrester in .22/250 I mowed grass all summer to pay for it.

I would like to have a Bavarian Carbine in .308 win

http://www.sako.fi/rifles/sako-85/85-bavarian-carbine

Does anyone else have Sakos that they enjoy?

timspawn
08-08-2015, 02:57 PM
I have an L461 that has been reborn as a 17/222. It's killed lots of trash birds and armadillos.

Clay M
08-08-2015, 03:08 PM
I like the fact that they put a 1/11" twist in their .308win.
The .308 is generally easy to get to shoot well,and also works great with cast bullets.
I have a special run Ruger International Hawkeye Stainless in the .308 win. I is a very good shooter.
I have always wanted a Sako with the Mannlicher stock.
Beretta imports the guns.

lancem
08-08-2015, 03:59 PM
I had a Forrester in .243 that I should never have gotten rid of, like so many others...

rking22
08-08-2015, 04:36 PM
An L46 from the mid 50s in 222. Just a perfect walking rifle for me ! Light,accurate,relatively quiet,and beautiful.

Finster101
08-08-2015, 04:48 PM
I have a Forrester in .243 that I bought at the Rod & Gun club in Furth around 81-82. I work there for a little while and passed up another that I should have bought, a 7mm mag with a heavy varmint barrel. We received 2 of them and I have never seen another since.

tygar
08-08-2015, 04:49 PM
Yep I like Sako's. I, like above, have one I got in the 60s or 70s in 22-250, I think its a L461, that I shot out & re-barreled to 22-250AI. Great gun, accurate etc. Have several others in 06, 338, 300Wby, 375H&H, & several actions made into rifles. I also change my Rem700 bolts to Sako extractors.

Clay M
08-08-2015, 05:51 PM
A friend of mine had a Sako .375 H&H with the mannlicher stock. It was a fine shooting rifle. I tried to buy it from him, and he almost sold it and then change his mind.
I have a Safari grade .338 win that I bought back in the mid 80's It is a fine rifle.

snowwolfe
08-08-2015, 07:40 PM
Own a lefty .270 and wife has a righty .260. The newer Sako's are built as good if not better than currently built Coopers. The wood on my wife's rifle looks like it belongs on a rifle costing 3 times as much

Clay M
08-08-2015, 08:12 PM
Own a lefty .270 and wife has a righty .260. The newer Sako's are built as good if not better than currently built Coopers. The wood on my wife's rifle looks like it belongs on a rifle costing 3 times as much

Thanks , that is what I wanted to hear . I have no experience with the newer rifles.
The rifle I listed above is at the top of my list for a hunting rifle.
I guess it is just a throwback from my past, but and older gentleman that was a dentist I knew growing up had a Sako Forrester Mannlicher in the .308 win. I had a lot of respect for him. He has been dead for many years, but I still remember him and his rifle.

I guess it is silly how things make such a big impression on you when you are young.

We all remember those we looked up to. The ones who influenced us.
Maybe it is nothing but a dream.

Just something I keep tucked away in a small box.

This rifle is part of that dream.

osteodoc08
08-08-2015, 09:30 PM
I have an A III in 25-06 and an A V that's been re barreled from 375 H&H to 257 STW. Dad bought both of them when he was stationed in Germany in the early 80's. He always wanted to
make it to Africa for some Plains game, but never did. I enjoyed being abused as a teen by that thing. He swapped over to the 257 STW when he was on a speed kick and read too much Lane Simpson (had a 7mm STW built on a Mauser action as well).

osteodoc08
08-08-2015, 09:33 PM
I guess it is silly how things make such a big impression on you when you are young.

We all remember those we looked up to. The ones who influenced us.
Maybe it is nothing but a dream.

Just something I keep tucked away in a small box.

This rifle is part of that dream.

I have my personal heroes too. It's not a dresm
at all but definitely pleasant memories. I can still remember the smell of one of my fathers friends cigars as we sat around the campfire.....

Frank46
08-08-2015, 11:52 PM
Have a sako 75 hunter with wood stock in 30-06. Probably the most accurate rifle in that caliber I've owned. When I bought it sako had a special for the rings. Send in a copy of the bill of sale and the rings were free. Only thing I didn't care for was that the wood in the barrel channel was not sealed. Few coats of tru oil worked well and once sighted in never changed point of impact. Frank

tenx
08-09-2015, 07:13 AM
I have a Sako made 30-06 stocked by Harrington and Richardson, paid $350 new in the mid 80's from a hardware store in South Carolina. Went there to lay-away a H&R 22-250 on a Mark X action that I had been looking at for some time, asked the guy across the counter to let me look at the H&R before I laid it away, instead of the 22-250 he handed me the 30-06. After seeing the price tag it took about .5 seconds to decide to lay it away instead. Seems they had a huge gun vault and rotated guns in and out into the display counter area and the Sako had somehow gotten stuck in time in the vault until just then. Just my good fortune to be in the right place at the right time. Dosen't happen very often though. And no I didn't get the 22-250. By the time I got back around to going and picking it up it was gone. Win some, loose some.

Clay M
08-09-2015, 08:28 AM
When I was growing up there was a little hardware store on the corner in the small town. They stocked some really neat stuff. They had a display case with Sako rifles.
The owners always had some great firearms, bows, and knives. I spent all the money I made at that store.

Nowadays , most Sako rifles would have to be special ordered.

pietro
08-09-2015, 10:59 AM
An L46 from the mid 50s in 222. Just a perfect walking rifle for me ! Light,accurate,relatively quiet,and beautiful.

Ditto, but when I removed the .222 L-46's barreled action from the stock for a thorough cleaning, I found "REMINGTON" stamped into the bottom of it's barrel :shock: , hidden by the stock's forend when I bought it FTF :roll: - so, it looks like it was rebarreled with a take-off barrel. :coffee:

It shot very well, however......................... :drinks:

rking22
08-09-2015, 06:31 PM
Mine has a Bofors stamp on the barrel, but now you made me want to pull it from the stock and have a look! Someone "deblued" my barrel and I have been meaning to blue it for the past 10 years.
Main thing is it shot well, and has that elegant "scaled" bolt action just right for the 222Rem. Funny that the safety is kinda clunky and backwards (to me anyway).
That fullstock in the OPs link is AWESOME! Guess I am way out of touch with the modern gun market, but that is a rifle that I could spend some cash on. No doubt it will shoot well and it shows craftsmanship that is lacking in the new plastic and aluminium wonders. And real WOOD!

wch
08-09-2015, 10:22 PM
I own a SAKO model 78, a 22 Hornet and it is the best shooting Hornet I have ever run across.

snowwolfe
08-10-2015, 12:15 PM
Nowadays , most Sako rifles would have to be special ordered.

Very true. We purchased ours from Eurooptics, a store in PA. Seems they get a big shipment about once a year but I had to order both mine and the wifes rifle. Think we ordered them in Jan and they came in Aug/Sept time frame.

Ickisrulz
08-10-2015, 12:59 PM
I have a Sako 75 in 30-06 that is a good cast bullet shooter. I also have a Varmint model (don't remember the model number...before the 75 series) in 22-250 that doesn't get enough use. I love the Sakos.

hicard
08-10-2015, 01:09 PM
I have a Deluxe 222, a standard 243 and a 75 in 300 Win Magnum. Love them all and wish I had more.

timspawn
08-10-2015, 03:22 PM
I never have SAKO's come through the shop. Today I bought a L46 and a L61R Finnbear. It's funny how thing happen.

Clay M
08-11-2015, 07:38 PM
I have my fathers old Sako Riihimaki .22K hornet that he bought in the 60's .
It has a Canjar trigger .Perhaps one of the most accurate little rifles I have ever shot.
I always used it to clear beavers out of a pond.It was very deadly.
The Canjar set trigger is pretty amazing.I have a Jewel trigger on my very best target rifle.The Carjar is over the top. I rarely set it.

Clay M
08-12-2015, 07:01 PM
Euro Optics seems to be the go to place for in stock Sakos.
I got them to email me some pictures of the Bavarian carbines in .308 win.
For $2250 I was not impressed with the wood,and the metal seems to be matt, not high polished blue.
My Heym SR 20 7X57 is a better looking rifle.
Sako is not big on fancy wood, although my Safari grade .338 seem to be the exception.
I looked at some really nice .375H&H rifles this last weekend at Cabelas.
As much as I truly love the .375H&H, my .338 win will do everything I will ever get to do with the remainder of my life.
I bought it for North American big game hunting.

My Ruger stainless Hawkeye International .308 will shoot 3/4 MOA for three fast shots.I guess that is as far as I will take this dream..:smile:
My dentist friend had one of the original Ruger International 77 rifles when they came out back in the early 80's.The new one I have is truly exceptional.

Clay M
08-14-2015, 07:45 PM
As far as hunting goes, my best work has been done with an old Steyr Professional chambered in .270 win. I have killed most of my game with either that rifle or my old 72 Marlin 1895 .45/70

I sighted the Steyr in in 86 when I bought it. I have never changed the zero .It shoots one MOA in 30F or 100F. It is the one rifle I trust.
I use a Swarovski 6X scope.

In my experience, the Steyrs are very deadly rifles.The barrels are the secret to their accuracy.

You buy a Steyr , it WILL shoot.

I bought the Steyr in the aftermath of many American rifles that would not.

O'Conner was correct. the .270 win is the master of the game.
Sorry I was infected by O'Conner growing up.
Wish I could go on a Big Horn Sheep hunt before I die.

Butchman205
08-14-2015, 10:06 PM
I had a pristine 75 grey wolf in 7-08 that shot right at an inch at 200 yards. I shot it here at the house, but was always afraid I'd scratch it up. Traded it for a great deal on a 308.

I also have an old L461 competition "shot out" 6mm PPC, that is so bad it barely shoots a 1/4 minute at 100.
Sako's are pretty great.

Clay M
08-14-2015, 10:20 PM
I had a pristine 75 grey wolf in 7-08 that shot right at an inch at 200 yards. I shot it here at the house, but was always afraid I'd scratch it up. Traded it for a great deal on a 308.

I also have an old L461 competition "shot out" 6mm PPC, that is so bad it barely shoots a 1/4 minute at 100.
Sako's are pretty great.

I have a Sako .22PPC, I wish I had bought the 6mm, but the .22 is great up to about 200 yds.
When I build a custom target rifle it will either be the 6mm BR or a 6.5X47 Lapua..Depending on the game I choose.

wgr
08-14-2015, 11:13 PM
I had a Forrester in .243 that I should never have gotten rid of, like so many others...
i have one of thoses. really shoots. young son took it from me

cainttype
08-15-2015, 07:12 AM
I have a Sako A-V in 375 H&H. Gave her a home after she was inherited by a gentleman with no affection for "larger" bores.
The sights were removed, and misplaced, long ago. I'd like to replace the front ramp assembly but haven't seriously search for an A-V sight... Anybody know a good place to look for one of those?

Ola
08-15-2015, 07:48 AM
I have a Sako A-V in 375 H&H..
The sights were removed, and misplaced, long ago. I'd like to replace the front ramp assembly but haven't seriously search for an A-V sight... Anybody know a good place to look for one of those? Well, Sako has a some parts for the older models. They do not have everything, but you never know.

If you want I'll ask them. I know one of the gunsmiths at the Sako factory. If Sako still has them, he knows..

Ola
08-15-2015, 07:50 AM
I'm a proud owner of a heavy barrel AI in .222 Rem. That rifle has only one problem: saying NO to all the people who want to buy it.

hicard
08-15-2015, 11:23 AM
I have a Deluxe 222, a standard 243 and a 75 in 300 Win Magnum. Love them all and wish I had more.

I forgot to mention my Riihimaki (sp) 222 Remington.

Butchman205
08-15-2015, 02:31 PM
Well, Sako has a some parts for the older models. They do not have everything, but you never know.

If you want I'll ask them. I know one of the gunsmiths at the Sako factory. If Sako still has them, he knows..

Can you ask about a bolt stop spring for a L461?

cainttype
08-15-2015, 03:01 PM
Well, Sako has a some parts for the older models. They do not have everything, but you never know.

That would be very much appreciated. I have Sako peeps, but no front sight.
I also have an A-V that was sent to Hart for a complete work-over. It was chambered for 338-06... also sightless. A beautiful job that I purchased long after the work had been done, unfired by the owner and residing as a safe queen... I plan on eventually getting around to having a front sight fitted for it.

Sako, Tikka, Husqvarna... all are happily wecomed here.

BAGTIC
08-15-2015, 06:20 PM
I have a SAKO L-46 Riihimaki 222 Remington That I bought in the Mid 50's. It was my first centerfire rifle. I have two SAKO .223 (A-3?). I had a SAKO .243 but sold it as for my purpose I found the caliber neither fish nor fowl, varmint or big game. All good rifles.

Ola
08-16-2015, 01:01 AM
Btw: for us RIIHIMÄKI is not part of the model name of Sako rifles.

RIIHIMÄKI has been the location of the Sako factory since 1921.

Clay M
08-16-2015, 09:44 AM
Btw: for us RIIHIMÄKI is not part of the model name of Sako rifles.

RIIHIMÄKI has been the location of the Sako factory since 1921.

Right, the models made in the 50's had it stamped on the barrel.

376Steyr
08-16-2015, 03:31 PM
I have a Vixen .222 that I bought very well used that I plan to turn into a 25-222 Copperhead. After I scrubbed a lot of powder and copper fouling out of the barrel I found that it shot very nicely indeed. Maybe the conversion to a Copperhead can wait until I wear out the bore. Hope I live that long.

JMax
08-16-2015, 04:13 PM
I have a lovely L57 in 243 that I used for deer to elk when I lived in CO. Paid $200 for it with a scope so long ago, now it is my re stock project.

Ola
08-17-2015, 07:01 AM
I asked the parts.

Butchman: They have the springs.

Cainttype: There has been different kind of sights in AV. So, they need a picture of the rear sight to make sure they have the right front sight available.

Clay M
08-17-2015, 05:53 PM
I asked the parts.

Butchman: They have the springs.

Cainttype: There has been different kind of sights in AV. So, they need a picture of the rear sight to make sure they have the right front sight available.

I wonder if they still have the old aperture sights . I assume that Sako made them?
I still have one.

Ola
08-18-2015, 03:41 AM
I wonder if they still have the old aperture sights . I assume that Sako made them?
I still have one.

Check your PM.

cainttype
08-18-2015, 10:14 AM
Ola, there are no sights to take photos of.
I have several of the Sako aperture sights. My intention is to use them.
I could measure the barrel diameter at the front sight and the center-to-center measurement for the 2 front sight screw holes, if that would help.
The rifle appears to be stainless, unless it was finished with a very good facsimile by professionals. There's substantial other upgrades to the rifle, but I've had trouble finding info on stainless A-Vs... so I'm not sure what to think about the finish, and haven't really worried much about it since I got her home.
If you have any info on stainless A-Vs I'd be very interested. I've seen very few references, and half of those claimed they weren't made... Although the Internet is replete with information, much of it is incorrect.
Thanks, for the help.

Clay M
08-19-2015, 05:26 PM
Just ordered some Hornady .22 Hornet brass today for my Sako K Hornet.
I hope it will last longer than the junk brass from Rem and Win. I believe I will anneal it after the second firing. The little rifle seems to shoot very well with most loads I have tried. I usually get dime sized groups or better at 100yds.
My dad traded an old A5 Browning shotgun for it back in the 60's.
It is missing the front sling swivel.I lost it on a hunt years ago.
Maybe I will try the Sako parts dept.

I love the little rifle because it belonged to my Dad.
It reminds me or reading Faulkner, or playing a jazz ballad by Washington and Young.
It is the essence of beauty in a rifle.
It is in the top five rifles I have ever owned.

Ola
08-21-2015, 02:01 AM
So, if I understand correctly in US it is not easy to find parts for old Sakos? That is interesting because MOST of the rifles have been exported to US.

The Sako gunsmiths have some parts and if necessary they also make or modify them. They also help owners of old Tikkas (not made by Sako): at this moment there is a spring in my LSA-55 (known as Ithaca M55 or LSA-55 in USA) that was originally a Sako TRG spare part..

cainttype
08-21-2015, 08:55 AM
The Tikka LSA-55 imported by Ithaca is one of my favorite 308s, Ola.
The synthetic stock, detachable mag, and lightweight action was way ahead of it's time. I've never seen any comparable factory hunting rifle out perform it in the all-around consistent accuracy department. The rifle is extremely accurate with any bullet weight I've fed it over many years. It is a pleasure to carry that rifle, and even more fun to shoot.
It's funny that so many years later the attributes of the LSA-55 that people originally complained about are now all the rage. The rifle wasn't really that popular in it's early days here...too bold.

Clay M
08-21-2015, 09:24 AM
When I was growing up, Sako's were fairly common. I remember paying a little over $200 for my first Sako.

Nowadays, Sakos are rare. I believe Euro Optics is the main distributor.

Price point is the factor. The average rifle here in America sells for somewhere around $1000 ,give or take a few hundred.

Sakos are about twice that.

Parts are not so easy to find.

Ola
08-21-2015, 04:09 PM
Sakos are NOW rare in USA? 10 years ago Sako was building 20 000 rifles a year, 10 000 of them Sako and 10 000 Tikka.
Last year they made over 100 000 rifles... I heard that about 70 % went to America... Hmm, makes me wonder: maybe majority of the guns that go to US market are Tikkas and the Sakos are sold to Europe, Australia and so on?

btw, I just googled a little: here in Finland even these old used Tikkas (LSA 55 and 65) sell for 750-900 euros..

Clay M
08-22-2015, 09:36 PM
Sakos are NOW rare in USA? 10 years ago Sako was building 20 000 rifles a year, 10 000 of them Sako and 10 000 Tikka.
Last year they made over 100 000 rifles... I heard that about 70 % went to America... Hmm, makes me wonder: maybe majority of the guns that go to US market are Tikkas and the Sakos are sold to Europe, Australia and so on?

btw, I just googled a little: here in Finland even these old used Tikkas (LSA 55 and 65) sell for 750-900 euros..

I think you are probably correct. I have a major gun dealer within twenty miles of me, and he has no Sakos.I think he has some Tikkas.
I can get him to order in whatever I want. I went to two big Cabalas stores this month. No Sako's.
I love Sakos ,but I am not sure I like them that much. For me the Steyr's shoot better.
My Steyrs are very deadly rifles regardless of the temp or the weather.
The Steyrs are somewhat cheaper. The barrels on the Steyrs are second to none on a factory rifle.
I also have Heym ,that I like very much. It is beautiful like poem, but very finicky. It loves flat base bullets , and nothing else.

My Steyrs are the most accurate centerfire hunting rifles I have ever owned.

Slow Elk 45/70
08-23-2015, 02:33 AM
I have several, I am in love with them. I found an old 338 in a bargain barrel , the stock was no good. I guess they figured it was junk.
I figured $150 was very cheap, so now I have 2 , one scoped and one not....don't need much more than that in Alaska , also have 375 and 30/06 just count me lucky:bigsmyl2:

Ola
08-24-2015, 01:34 PM
I gotta agree with you, the barrels of the Sakos are not what they used to be. Most are good but there are some bad ones too. In the past it was very rare to find a bad Sako barrel. But hey, what can you expect, they are cold forged..

Clay M
08-24-2015, 08:01 PM
I love my Sako's but they are all older rifles.I think my .22PPC was bought in 88 or 89.
I know nothing about the new rifles except that they are expensive.

Ola
08-25-2015, 07:32 AM
All in all the Sako rifle models have taken giant leaps in resent years. For example the Bear-series, The A7 Carbon and so on. It's obvious that Beretta has poured in some money for product development.

Sako being expensive, well, I'm not sure that's true. Sako's competitors are brands like Sauer and Mauser. Not Remington or Ruger...

Clay M
08-25-2015, 08:59 AM
That is true, they are not more expensive than the higher end guns in the European market.
I always liked the older Sako action. I am not familiar with the 85 action.
Once you could buy just the actions in the white to build rifles with.

Clay M
08-29-2015, 06:16 PM
I built a rifle with the Sako action in .300 win mag.I put a Wiseman stainless barrel on it..

Had the action electroplated, but I chose the wrong stock. The rifle had a light tapered barrel, and it was the most wicked kicking rifle I have ever owned.

The recoil of the .300's is always fast and heavy, but this one was over the top.

I sold it and got most of my money back. I still have a Sauer in .300 mag , but the stock design makes the recoil tolerable.

I wish I could still buy those Sako actions. They were a great platform for building a hunting rifle.

I do like the .300 win mag. It is a great cartridge.

If I build another .300 win mag, needless to say ,it will have a heavy barrel, and weigh at least 9 lbs. More like 15 for a target rifle.

Clay M
09-08-2015, 07:58 PM
I noticed Cabalas has the Sako A7 rifle on sale for $125 off this weekend.
Guaranteed five shots in MOA.
I wonder what ammo they are using.
I am sure my handloads will do better..
If I needed a good .270 win I would check it out.

I am sure it would not beat my Steyr..but it looks interesting.

CLAYPOOL
09-09-2015, 02:20 AM
I own 3. 2 in L461 actions. One is custom barreled in Mach 4. No factory wording on the barrel. The other is the .17-223 that I was looking for reloading info for. 3 Gentlemen on the Sako Forum helped. I also got a few loads from Accurate Powder Company. The .17 is all factory and is the stuff I read about in the early 70"s with ads for sale. The kid grew up, lived a life, raised kids, and now is living the dream.... the 3 rd. one is a hack job..

Ola
09-09-2015, 03:53 AM
I noticed Cabalas has the Sako A7 rifle on sale for $125 off this weekend.

I suppose you already know it but the A7 is kind of a Sako-Tikka-hybrid? F.e. it has single stack magazine (like Tikka), BUT the mag has flexible lips so you can feed new rounds in it through the ejection port (like Sako with 2 stack mag). Also mounting the optics is better: there is nothing wrong with Sako Optilock mounting system, but it is nice to have more options (like Tikka).

Intel6
09-11-2015, 06:52 PM
Brought back 2 from Germany in the 90's, Manlicher carbine in 308 and a Varmint repeater in 6 PPC.