PDA

View Full Version : Lee 55gr FNGC in 223 for hunting?

mwells72774
08-08-2015, 12:11 PM
Anyone use this or a similar bullet in hunting applications?

For a moment, I debated using the load on small AR whitetail but the ethical kill worries me.

IraqVet1982
08-08-2015, 08:01 PM
I probably wouldn't use it on a whitetail. It will kill it but if you don't hit heart and lungs, you'll be tracking it. And I never take a shot that will require me track it.

Distance and shot placement are always key, hell bows take animals all the time but that isn't my cup of tea.

mwells72774
08-08-2015, 08:13 PM
Ranges would be less than 50yds and I snagged a center drill to make them hollow point but I think I'll test it on coyotes first.

Just a fleeting though. I like to do things on the cheap but not risky or unethical.

As far as stick and string, we're all bow hunters here.

Edward
08-08-2015, 08:15 PM
Placement is key ,But that is only if you use a bullet that"s meant for killing game . I"ve killed deer with Varget/BLC(2)/accurate 2015 and a
couple of other powders,the one thing in common is a 60 grain Nosler Partition that got put behind the shoulder .Sight in with that bullet and don"t get crazy with yardage and you will do well as long as your part (Placement)!

taco650
08-10-2015, 10:06 AM
A guy I knew back in Western OR years ago used to fill his tags with a T/C Contender in .223. He was using J-words and would wait in the woods and kept the range short. YMMV.

tsubaki
08-10-2015, 05:37 PM
I've killed numerous deer with a 55gr PSP pushed at 3450fps in a single shot .223 and I can tell you there ain't any good tracking job to be had with this small bullet.
I quickly found out neck shots were the best thing to prevent any loss. Up to 100 yard kills were easy and clean.
I bought that Lee mold for subsonic purposes and haven't started experimenting with it. Now I'm also considering trying to get it up to about 2800fps if possible.

runfiverun
08-11-2015, 03:10 PM
when you add velocity into the mix you really start making things difficult.
a naked alloy boolit starts behaving much differently as you add more impact stress and rotational influence.
your chances of boolit failure [not opening, or exploding on impact] become much higher, and your widow of performance shrinks as you go faster.

I long ago decided the 7mm is my absolute minimum diameter for cast boolit deer hunting [and prefer the 30 and above]
the 7 Is where I cut off for jacketed only use.

quilbilly
08-15-2015, 12:31 PM
Many (many, many) years ago I took several deer with J-bullets from a 222 but at the time I rightfully concluded that high velocity would limit penetration so I slowed the boolits down to an MV of 2200. On those deer I got fine expansion and penetration for quick kills but I kept shots under 75 yards. That MV is about where you should be with that CB but , as others have said, careful shot placement is the key. That velocity will likely not operate you AR action without modifications.