PDA

View Full Version : A llittle nervouse handling my Ruger No.1

AbitNutz
08-08-2015, 08:58 AM
I've never had a single shot without a hammer. On my Sharps and Winchester 1885, the hammer ends up at half-cock. I don't have to put it on half-cock or put on the safety. When I want to fire it, I shoulder the weapon, thumb back the hammer to full-cock and let'er go.

So here's my issue. After loading a round in the No.1's chamber, the rifle is ready to go. However, I'm still handling it, bringing up to my shoulder. I have gotten into the habit of immediately putting on the safety. Then, when the rifle is at my shoulder, I thumb off the safety and fire the weapon.

Do any of you do it differently? Am I just being vaginated? I'm thinking that since the hammer is obviously and clearly visible to me on my other singles, I'm not as spooked at handling them. I seem to be always double checking the No.1 to make sure the safety is on or the chamber is unloaded.

I'm used to and love HUGE big bore rifles. The No.1 is 450/400 Nitro Express and the Winchester is 375 H&H Magnum, the Sharps is a Lyman 1878 and currently 45/70 but is scheduled to be rechambered to 450 Nitro express.

Meh...just bored. Hope you guys don't mind rambling...

pietro
08-08-2015, 09:28 AM

Ruger #1 & #3 rifles have an internal hammer, part of which protrudes (very) slightly from the bottom of the opening lever, just ahead of the triggerguard - so it can be readily determined if the hammer's cocked or not.

The only way to cock the hammer is to open the action; so it's best to get in the habit of engaging the safety before loading the chamber.

country gent
08-08-2015, 10:02 AM
The Ruger Number 1 has a solid reliable action. A the range It is kept on the bench and loaded finger on the frame above trigger until ready to fire. Hinting or position shooting I set the saftey to safe load and carry. Like alot of semi autos pumps and or striker fired pistols you dont see the hammer or have a half cock option. Keeping finger off of trigger ( normally on frame or stock above trigger) until ready to fire is much safer and is an easy habit to get into.

chsparkman
08-08-2015, 10:12 AM
Several years ago while learning to hunt, I was wearing some thick gloves carrying my No. 1 in .270. I knew I had engaged the safety before setting out, but sometime in the morning I must have released it inadvertently. I accidentally touched the trigger and a round went off, safely into the ground thankfully. Since then I have been much more vigilant, and I avoid thick gloves that render my fingers numb to the environment.

montana_charlie
08-08-2015, 12:59 PM
So here's my issue. After loading a round in the No.1's chamber, the rifle is ready to go. However, I'm still handling it, bringing up to my shoulder. I have gotten into the habit of immediately putting on the safety. Then, when the rifle is at my shoulder, I thumb off the safety and fire the weapon.
Do you have the same angst, and go through the same movements, after chambering a live shell in a bolt action gun?
Functionally, it's the same situation ...

08-08-2015, 01:46 PM
AbitNutz,
I'm with you. I do it the very same way. Never had a problem. Love those big bore, as well. Took a #1 .458 Win Mag and had it chambered to .458 Lott. What a lovely cartridge. Load it mild to wild and it does it all so well. Put a new recoil pad on and added a mercury recoil dampener and even at the most sever loadings, it is a ***** cat (almost). Now (in my sixties), I don't think I will be going back to Africa, so one of these days I'll probably get around to selling it off so I can get a #1 in .270 Win. Don't worry about no exposed hammer. Safe handling will never let you down.

AbitNutz
08-08-2015, 01:49 PM
Do you have the same angst, and go through the same movements, after chambering a live shell in a bolt action gun?
Functionally, it's the same situation ...

I'm not so sure it is. On my bolt action rifles I tend to work the action and chamber the round when it is already at my shoulder.

montana_charlie
08-08-2015, 02:27 PM
I'm not so sure it is. On my bolt action rifles I tend to work the action and chamber the round when it is already at my shoulder.
I tend to look at gun operation from a combat/hunting viewpoint.
If I have successfully crept within range of a nice fat buck (or whatever) the last thing I will do is spook him away by chambering a round and locking the bolt.

My rifle will be ready to go when I begin the stalk ... not after I have shouldered it to take the shot.

timspawn
08-08-2015, 03:10 PM
I tend to look at gun operation from a combat/hunting viewpoint.
If I have successfully crept within range of a nice fat buck (or whatever) the last thing I will do is spook him away by chambering a round and locking the bolt.

My rifle will be ready to go when I begin the stalk ... not after I have shouldered it to take the shot.

Ditto! The only time I have began a stalk with an unloaded rifle was while I was in South Africa. That's how the PH wanted it so that's what I did. After a couple of days he would have me chamber a round when we left the truck. I have hunted with a #1 exclusively for the last several years. It always has a round in the chamber with the safety on unless it is dark or I am going up or down a tree.

rking22
08-08-2015, 04:51 PM
Same here, Safety goes off as I mount the gun (any gun) and back on as I dismount. Second nature and anything different is quickly noticed. Some guns will not allow the safety to reengage before opening the action and I find them agravating in that regard. If I am actively hunting, the chamber is loaded, safety on and muzzle control is the ultimate safety. Have had varmit rifles that I did not trust the safety on, these were bolt open till ready to fire the shot.

montana_charlie
08-08-2015, 05:17 PM
I have hunted with a #1 exclusively for the last several years. It always has a round in the chamber with the safety on unless it is dark or I am going up or down a tree.
Me, too.
My 'deer gun' used to be a Remington 700 in 7mm Remington Mag. I would unload it when I got back to the truck.
Since 1979, I have carried a Browning 78 in the same caliber ... following the same routine.

EDG
08-08-2015, 07:41 PM
I have many single shots including Ruger #1 & #3. I never load them until I am about to shoot them.

Having shot skeet guns maybe 50,000 rounds with no hammer it does not bother me the slightest.

tdoyka
08-08-2015, 09:36 PM
I have hunted with a #1 exclusively for the last several years. It always has a round in the chamber with the safety on unless it is dark or I am going up or down a tree.

yep, that how my ruger #1 in 270win hunts. also my tc encores and h&r.