PDA

View Full Version : Hi-point now owned by "cheaper than dirt"

HARRYMPOPE
08-08-2015, 02:23 AM
I just got a very good shooting. 45 pistol and now with my hate of the gouging cheaper than dirt I feel like selling it.how soon until the great customer sevice hi-point one had goes to ****.
Say what you will about their design and balance but the guns shot well above their price range.
I can't forget the $50 for 50 9mm ball ammo and $100 ar mags that CTD was trying to get just aa soon as people got nervous a bit back.

Avery Arms
08-08-2015, 02:59 AM
The only thing rarer than a hipoint owner who doesn't like their customer service is one who has never needed it.

HARRYMPOPE
08-08-2015, 03:13 AM
Plain stupid statement.welcome to my ignore list.

dtknowles
08-08-2015, 12:57 PM
The only thing rarer than a hipoint owner who doesn't like their customer service is one who has never needed it.

I don't know about their customer service, never needed it, my 9mm just rocks and rolls.

Tim

Schrag4
08-08-2015, 02:26 PM
Still thinking about getting a HiPoint 9mm carbine as a plinker for the kids. It's my understanding they're very rugged/reliable, and it's about 1/2 to 1/3 the cost of just about every alternative I've been able to find for a rifle in 9mm.

dtknowles
08-08-2015, 02:33 PM
Mine is 10 years old, runs great, don't know about the newest ones.

Tim

AtomHeartMother
08-08-2015, 03:48 PM
I admit it.... I've got the 9mm carbine as well.... Lol. Had it about a year. It's heavy but balances well. I put a cheapie red dot on it and it always surprises me on how accurate it is...even out to 100 yards. Fun little carbine. I don't recall it ever jamming with any ammo I've used including hand loads. I affectionately call it my planet of the apes gun....hehe. For the money, they can't be beat..

Salmoneye
08-08-2015, 04:48 PM
Anyone have a link to info on the sale of the company?

rondog
08-08-2015, 04:51 PM
Was there a request for asinine comments? I must have missed that.....

rondog
08-08-2015, 04:54 PM
Yes, please! This is the first I've heard of it.

runfiverun
08-08-2015, 05:07 PM
I hope this ain't so.

I have one of their 9mm carbines, the only problem I have had with mine is the magazine needs to hold 50 rounds or so.
it gobbles up stuff I can't get in my other pistols and shoots them accurately enough for the gun to be a reliable small game gun.
it does very well with stuff it likes.
I have been keeping an eye open for a 45 acp version.

but if CTD is involved I'm out

williamwaco
08-08-2015, 05:11 PM
How about CTD?

They recently closed their store in McKinney TX.

dragon813gt
08-08-2015, 06:01 PM

I searched for twenty minutes this morning. I couldn't find anything about it. The article in American Rifleman did mention that the company would be changing hands. But no new owner was mentioned.

I've been looking to pick up one of their 9mm carbines. But if CTD is the new owner than I will no longer consider owning one let alone buy one.

JonB_in_Glencoe
08-08-2015, 07:17 PM
Title :Hi-point now owned by "cheaper than dirt" (http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?284973-Hi-point-now-owned-by-quot-cheaper-than-dirt-quot)

I just got a very good shooting. 45 pistol and now with my hate of the gouging cheaper than dirt I feel like selling it.how soon until the great customer sevice hi-point one had goes to ****.
Say what you will about their design and balance but the guns shot well above their price range.
I can't forget the $50 for 50 9mm ball ammo and $100 ar mags that CTD was trying to get just aa soon as people got nervous a bit back.

I searched for twenty minutes this morning. I couldn't find anything about it. The article in American Rifleman did mention that the company would be changing hands. But no new owner was mentioned.

I've been looking to pick up one of their 9mm carbines. But if CTD is the new owner than I will no longer consider owning one let alone buy one.
I searched today as well. I even spent some time on looking on the Hi-Point Forum ...and found NOTHING anywhere.

I see my fellow Minnesotan and castboolits member MaryB recently posted on the Hi-Point forum...If she is a regular there, maybe she has some knowledge of this business acquisition ?

FergusonTO35
08-08-2015, 08:30 PM
I thought Strassell's Machine (I think that's their name) was buying Hi-Point?

waksupi
08-08-2015, 08:34 PM
I think one of the posters confused Hi Point with Taurus.

dubber123
08-08-2015, 08:49 PM
I think one of the posters confused Hi Point with Taurus..

If if so many people wish ill on CTD, then wishing Taurus on them should make them happy ��

waksupi
08-08-2015, 08:55 PM

If if so many people wish ill on CTD, then wishing Taurus on them should make them happy 😃

That would be a match made in Heaven.

HARRYMPOPE
08-09-2015, 01:24 AM
http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/FFLDealers/FFLDealerDetails.aspx?sid=31202

HARRYMPOPE
08-09-2015, 01:30 AM
Ok this info was sent by a freind.I am all wet on this one.he sent me the info they had the same adress and we're owned by CTD.I am glad I was wrong.that's what three days off of work for dental surgery and oxycontin does for you(me).I usually check my sources.

Let's the insults fly I am an idiot!

StrawHat
08-09-2015, 06:45 AM
Was there a request for asinine comments? I must have missed that.....

And yet, you posted one.

Kevin

JonB_in_Glencoe
08-09-2015, 12:45 PM
Ok this info was sent by a freind.I am all wet on this one.he sent me the info they had the same adress and we're owned by CTD.I am glad I was wrong.that's what three days off of work for dental surgery and oxycontin does for you(me).I usually check my sources.

No harm, no foul ....to me anyway.
I'm just glad Hi-Point isn't owned by CTD

FergusonTO35
08-09-2015, 10:57 PM
Whew, that was close!

str8wal
08-10-2015, 12:01 AM

That oughta do.

I hate CTD as well.

Mytmousemalibu
08-10-2015, 01:35 AM
Mine is 10 years old, runs great, don't know about the newest ones.

Tim My 995TS (about 1 year old now) runs like an absolute champ, not a single issue to date, boringly reliable and accurate for that matter.

xacex
08-10-2015, 02:25 AM
I hear their carbines are a bear to tear down and clean. I would not mind one in 45 acp. I already do the 9mm AR thing, but 45 AR's are to expensive.

Avery Arms
08-10-2015, 04:44 AM
I hear their carbines are a bear to tear down and clean. I would not mind one in 45 acp. I already do the 9mm AR thing, but 45 AR's are to expensive.

They are "value engineered" in every way possible so take-down involves a number of small screws and parts but it's not all that complicated or difficult just rather annoying in terms of the number of steps and loose parts.

I don't like HP carbines (ugly, low cap, spongy feeling, cast zinc/plastic construction) but I think all the .45 carbines on the market are pretty lame and most are incredibly expensive for blowback firerarms so I can't really fault the HP if you just want something to plink with.

Probably my favorite .45 carbine was the marlin camp 45 that used 1911 magazines. They have some minor design flaws (flimsy mag housing and buffer) and they only hold 7-10 rounds but overall they are built to last (good steel receiver and bolt, solid thick barrel, hardwood stock) and they feel like nice solid rifles and shoot very well. Unfortunately marlin stopped making them and prices have gone well beyond what they should cost.

MrWolf
08-10-2015, 09:46 AM
Probably my favorite .45 carbine was the marlin camp 45 that used 1911 magazines. They have some minor design flaws (flimsy mag housing and buffer) and they only hold 7-10 rounds but overall they are built to last (good steel receiver and bolt, solid thick barrel, hardwood stock) and they feel like nice solid rifles and shoot very well. Unfortunately marlin stopped making them and prices have gone well beyond what they should cost.

I have one and they are fun. They are a little light for the power but some day I will cast for her and develop a load. The 9mm shoots great and I am always on the lookout for one to go with the 45.

Finster101
08-10-2015, 10:10 AM

Who cleans them? A bore snake and some fresh oil in the right spots and after three years mine still runs flawlessly. I don't do this with my other guns by the way, just want to see when this one will make me take it apart.

Avery Arms
08-10-2015, 10:14 AM
Just be sure your buffer is in good condition if you are hot rodding it, the camp guns have rather lightweight bolts and rely on the buffer to protect the bolt and receiver from beating each other to death. The original buffers were some kind of unstable polymer and many of them have just fallen apart from age.

MrWolf
08-10-2015, 11:12 AM
Replace the buffer and spring. As Avery stated the originals have probably deteriotated so better off replacing them ASAP.

xacex
08-11-2015, 02:21 AM
My Dr. has one of those Marlin camp carbines. I got a chance to shoot it at his place, and have been looking for one ever since for a reasonable price. Came across a 9mm one in the pawn shop a couple towns over for about $450. Should have jumped on it. Came back the next week, and it was gone. Wasn't really interested in 9mm because I already do the AR9, but it is good to diversify.Good tip on the buffers. I will pass that info on to my Dr.

Texantothecore
08-11-2015, 09:52 AM
Just read an interview with Tom Deeb and the company is being sold to Mike Strassel a current employee who is actively involved in the manufacturing process. Among other functions he programs the cnc machinrs.

Hi-Point is one of the top ten gun manufacturing companies.

It appears that the company is going into good hands.

FergusonTO35
08-11-2015, 09:58 AM
I would love to have a 9mm AR-15 but can't get over the idea of paying several hundred more for what should be a cheaper gun given the simpler blowback design.

xacex
08-11-2015, 01:00 PM
I would love to have a 9mm AR-15 but can't get over the idea of paying several hundred more for what should be a cheaper gun given the simpler blowback design.
I felt the same way. I assemble my own AR's, and never purchased a complete gun so in all it was about $450 to build. Prices on AR parts have been at rock bottom over the last couple of years. I think $700 would be a good price for an assembled one, but that is still to rich for my blood, and I have not seen one that cheap myself. I SBR'd a lower "300 blackout", and form 1'd a 9mm suppressor for it. People absolutely love the thing, and it gets lots of range time. Whenever I take someone out to the range I get asked if I can bring it. As stupid as it sounds, it is more fun than just about anything I own because it is small, accurate, quiet, and with the cast 9mm Mihec 125 hollow points just devastating on anything it hits. Cheaper than shooting .22lr. I understand the appeal now to these cheap High Point carbines, and how fun it can be to shoot cheap 9mm out of them. My only regret is not having a 45acp carbine or SBR of some sort for the Mihec 453-200 hollow point. That is more of a challenge in an AR platform, and I may just buy one of the Marlins, or High points for that. Are the High point 4595's threaded on the muzzle?

3leggedturtle
08-11-2015, 01:21 PM

I had to take Hydrocodone (1st time ever in 53 years of living) for a dead infected tooth. That stuffs messes you up and is even worse for a couple days afterwards when you stop taking it, as it really gives you nasty thoughts and ideas. Rather take a bunch of aspirin and cheap whiskey in hindsight. Everyone that has a HP is happy with them. I have shot a few of the carbines and pistols and wouldn't mind having both in 40SW or 45Auto.

HARRYMPOPE
08-11-2015, 11:39 PM

I paid a bunch for my 9mm ar.I agree it should cost less.right now on the cheap one can be built for about $600

DrCaveman
08-13-2015, 03:46 AM
Off topic but related to the post: dont take any oxycontin/oxycodone/hydrocodone medications at prescribed levels for the prescribed duration unless you want to become a spineless opium junkie! Just use reasonable sense, if you hurt bad, take it, if not, then dont. That stupid 1-10 pain scale is for housewives who do not engage in real life like you and I (and probably our champion wives as well). Save the extra pills for when real pain comes along again, which it probably will, at a time when the doc aint there to write a script

Oh yeah, i want a 45 hipoint carbine. To heck with CTD, there are plenty other ways to get it. Glad you are liking it, helps me to build my argument toward buying one. More range reports would be very welcome from this guy

Lefty Red
08-13-2015, 06:40 AM
Only time I used Hi-Point's customer service was to ask about an older 995 I had that was missing a piece (I bought it used). They had me ship it to them, on my dime, and it returned after a look over and they replaced a couple of pieces they felt needed it and sent me two extra magazines to make up for the shipping. I have sense sent in any used Hi Point and had the same excellent service.

Also, off topic a bit, I wish they would focus on Glock's magazine and build a carbine around it. A cheap hi cap 9mm carbine with a bullet proof magazine!

Jerry