PDA

View Full Version : Need help with m 261 22 cal conversion

USMC87
08-07-2015, 08:57 PM
I have a M 261 22 long rifle conversion for the ar 15, I can shoot it sometimes 3-5 times without a jam. I have shot once and it will jam every time. I polished up the parts and it still jams but it always loads a new round and jams the empty every time. If you have any tips I would appreciate it. Thanks USMC87

borg
08-07-2015, 10:20 PM
This tells me,, that it's either a dirty or lead ringed throat.
OR,, a bad extractor.
"always loads a new round and jams the empty every time."
But, then I may be full of ,,,

Blackwater
08-07-2015, 10:52 PM
These conversion units for the AR and 1911's have a reputation for being problematic, and from what I've heard, at least, the only way to generally get reliable feeding is to really get into them and just watch just how they feed, and just keep watching, evaluating, guessing at the cause and tinkering until you get the results you need. Magazines are often the problem, too, from what I understand. If you have multiple mags, do they perform differently? If so, that's a good indication that mags are at least a part of the problem. If it were me, and I really wanted to shoot the .22's, and there ARE good reasons for this, I think I'd just polish all the parts up, note how they fit and function, and just generally slick it up, and keep tinkering around until I had a "Voila" moment, and it started percolating like it should. That's not much help, I know, but since you've only gotten one response, I thought I'd chip it in. FWIW?

USMC87
08-07-2015, 10:59 PM
I've only tried one mag in it so I guess I'll try the other tomorrow, I was kinda thinking that the extractor was the problem. I'm gonna try some things you guys suggest and see if they cure the problem. Thanks USMC87

Artful
08-07-2015, 11:27 PM
Have hope

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RH5HqGrhSl8
They do function but any 22 LR conversion can be problematic.
First off mine only liked CCI minimags
If you magazine's give you trouble try the Black Dog magazines.

Here's links for your edumacation
http://combatrifle.com/ar15-22-conversion-kit
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=584000

I also have a kit for my Ruger AAC556 and it too is picky about ammo
as some don't have enough energy to cycle the system.

cheese1566
08-07-2015, 11:53 PM
My old Ceiner unit needs to run well lubed with a decent oil to be happy.

USMC87
08-08-2015, 03:00 PM
I feel like an idiot, I took out the conversion and started to look it over and to my surprise the extractor, spring and rod are missing. No wonder it is jamming, I went on sarco and ordered the put away kit that has everything I need to fix the extractor plus a few extra parts to boot. I am not a gunsmith and was wandering is this a pretty easy fix here at home? Any help is greatly appreciated in advance. USMC87

Artful
08-09-2015, 10:38 AM
That is a question only you can answer - my way of looking at things is do I feel comfortable doing it - if I don't I take it to a professional. Most parts installation are just swapping parts but if you don't have parts to take out it may be a matter of fitting parts which can be a whole nother matter.

Larry Gibson
08-09-2015, 05:00 PM
I feel like an idiot, I took out the conversion and started to look it over and to my surprise the extractor, spring and rod are missing. No wonder it is jamming, I went on sarco and ordered the put away kit that has everything I need to fix the extractor plus a few extra parts to boot. I am not a gunsmith and was wandering is this a pretty easy fix here at home? Any help is greatly appreciated in advance. USMC87

It is an easy fix as the parts should fit in w/o any "fitting" needed. I've used a lot of M261 devices in a lot of different M16A1s over the years and have my own for use in one of my own ARs. They work quite well but can be ammunition sensitive. I prefer to use copper plated .22LR in mine. If, when you get the parts, you have problems call me and I'll talk you through it. I also have the TM and can email appropriate parts to you. PM me if you want for my phone number or email me.

Larry Gibson

Outpost75
08-09-2015, 06:58 PM
I don't have as much experience as Larry on these, but have used several. One I had was completely reliable as long as you used only CCI Mini Mag solids, kept the unit well lubed with CLP and dropped it out, scrubbed the boltface with an oily toothbrush every 100 rounds and brushed out the auxiliary chamber, leaving it wet with CLP. In training situations I was told they could run 1000 rounds a day through them if maintained in that manner.

Gunslingerdoc
08-10-2015, 03:57 PM
I have found the 261 to be one of the MORE reliable conversions - 22LR conversions generally do fine if clean and lubed...They get nasty quick with suppressors and they will drive you CRAZY when you try them on Full-Auto - the 261 is semi only conversion. Get the TM and buy parts from Sarco as they wont be around for ever.