PDA

View Full Version : Hamilton Bowen No. RS09 ‘Nimrod‘

Tatume
08-07-2015, 04:05 PM
Hello Folks,

Anybody own one? Would you tell me about it? I'm considering having one built, and looking for feedback.

Thanks, Tom

Hickory
08-07-2015, 10:40 PM
NO. RS09 ‘NIMROD‘ Bowen Classic Arm‘s finest big-game hunting revolver. Simple and effective, the straight, untapered 5 ½ inch barrel with its integral band dampens severe recoil without jeopardizing graceful handling. Choice of serrated or white line Baughman ramp sight blades, pinned to the express front sight base. Chambered in .41 and .44 Magnums, .45 Colt and the .50 Action Express.
http://bowenclassicarms.com/image/catalog/RS09.jpg
STAINLESS STEEL .45 COLT NIMROD
RS09 $2,495.00 (blue or stainless)

This is the package you must be refuring to.

Tatume
08-08-2015, 06:36 AM
Yes it is. Please tell me about yours.

Hickory
08-08-2015, 07:01 AM
I do not have one of these fine firearms. But,I have had Bowen do several other things for me in the past. His work is nothing but top notch all the way.
The reason I posted a description of the gun is in the OP there was not enough information to see a picture in my mind and to proving that picture to others so that they would know what you were refering to.

Tatume
08-08-2015, 08:04 AM
You're right, the public forum is not for the benefit of just the original poster, but for everyone who reads the forum. Having the photo and description enhances the utility. Thank you.

ole 5 hole group
08-08-2015, 10:26 AM
I have the RS 10 Nimrod in 475 Linebaugh - same as the RS 09 just a larger caliber. It's just a "custom" revolver made by the Bowen Classic Arms Company. There are several "custom" revolver builders in the USA and they all build great revolvers. One normally has their "custom" revolver made with a few personal touches, just so it's not quite like the others. I purchased my Nimrod used, but the previous owner had the revolver case color hardened by Turnbull and had French Walnut grips made by Dustin Linebaugh, so he spent some serious cash on that puppy. All I did to it was added Bowen target sights and a Clements front sight narrowed to 0.100" with a gold bar mid-ships.

Is it more accurate than other 475 Linebaughs? I doubt it but it does shoot extremely well as does another 475 Linebaugh that I own (purchased used) and that was made by Dave Clements. I also have a SW 25-2 which was converted by Bowen to 45 Colt with a few added touches and I purchased that revolver used. It shoots very well as does my plain jane SW model 14, so does it shoot better than an out of the box SW 25-6? Probably but if you uniformed the cylinder throats, did a good action job and tighten the 25-6 up a bit - it would probably shoot just as good.

You will be the only one that will appreciate the "custom" firearm, as most people at ranges have no idea who Bowen or any other custom gunsmith is and when/if you ever let them shoot it, they will just probably say it's a nice revolver and that's it. If a pisterlo, they might comment on how nice the trigger was or that the revolver felt well balanced etc - but again, if you tell them what you paid for it, most will think you're nuts!!

I own and shoot Les Baer 1911's and I also purchased them used - I appreciate firearms that are well built - either custom or after-market by someone who knows how to make a firearm perform at it's best. When I shot benchrest, my rifles were all built on my Rem 700 actions by Nationally known gunsmiths specializing in bench rest rifles. I like good glass on my rifles and a jewel trigger - doesn't make the rifle shoot any better but it allows me to shoot the rifle better. I hunt with 2 pound triggers, I shoot prairie dogs and targets with 2 ounce triggers - most people don't and some think it's unsafe - that's fine, I don't hunt or shoot with those fellows that think it's unsafe.

If you have the money you won't be disappointed in the workmanship and personal pride of ownership is a great thing all in of itself - good luck with your decision.

Tatume
08-08-2015, 11:57 AM
... you won't be disappointed in the workmanship and personal pride of ownership is a great thing all in of itself - good luck with your decision.

Thank you for the discussion; it is very helpful. Take care, Tom

BCgunworks
08-08-2015, 09:54 PM
You won't go wrong getting a Bowen...you'll be happy

EDK
08-10-2015, 08:08 AM
The BOWEN organization does beautiful work and pursues some new concepts. The book THE CUSTOM REVOLVER is a wonderful source for questions on custom work.
I'll never own a BOWEN, but I can appreciate the level of their artistry. I was lucky enough to acquire a TURNBULL with color case hardening and carbona blue finish on gunbroker some years back at basic price. Beautiful. My own taste runs to an action/trigger job and going to a larger grip frame on an Original Size VAQUERO.

white eagle
08-10-2015, 12:03 PM
so many times I have been over on his site dreaming
I have one custom handgun and its a beaut made by the Assassin
are they worth it I think so probably not everyone's idea of money well spent
and sometimes I even doubt myself until I get behind the trigger
if you do get one it will bring you many days of joy
fwiw
my post about wheel gun bhn the group shot is with the custom I was referring to

Thor's Daddy
08-10-2015, 11:03 PM
Smooth, tight, wonderfully robust and beautifully balanced. That is how I'd describe my Bowen 475 Maximum, which is the stretched frame version of the Nimrod. While longer, it probably weighs about the same as a standard 44 Nimrod and mine handles like a dream. And like most all customs, a Bowen Nimrod will outshoot most every shooter who handles it.

While you're dreaming of ordering one, I've been struggling with thoughts of letting mine go. But it is so unique and so perfect to me. I know I'll never own another like it. Ughh...

ole 5 hole group
08-11-2015, 10:28 AM
Brass for that caliber is mighty hard to find. I would think you would need to cut down 45/70 brass. I have the 500 Linebaugh Maximum and brass is made from the 50 Alaskan but I have 150 Hornady factory new brass for it that will stay virgin, as I made up a slew of brass from the 50 Alaskan prior to coming across this gold mine - probably my great-great grandkids will be the ones shooting the Hornady brass??

MT Chambers
08-11-2015, 03:28 PM
All of Bowen's work seems to be eye candy, priced right up there with Freedom Arms, but start as a Blackhawk Bisley.

Thor's Daddy
08-11-2015, 11:03 PM
Brass for that caliber is mighty hard to find. I would think you would need to cut down 45/70 brass....

Winchester 45/70 at that! Thankfully Winchester recently ran another batch of 45/70, giving me a chance to deepen the stash.

Tatume
08-12-2015, 06:31 AM
Why won't Starline 45-70 cases work for making 475 Maximum? Is the rim too thick?

Thor's Daddy
08-12-2015, 06:33 PM
The brass itself is too thick. You can use other brands of brass but it needs to be neck reamed. The only reamer I could find for said task is made by RCBS and is nearly 100 bucks IIRC. I'd much rather spend a bit extra for the Winchester brass than "save" money by buying a reamer and spending a bunch of time reaming Starline brass. I really like Starline brass, but not that much!

There seems to be so much to consider with a custom gun, even when it's a "package" like the Nimrod. Stainless or Blue? How about case hardened, or hardchrome? What type of sights? Grip material? When it's the "one and only", and for most mortals I'd imagine there is only one custom in the stable, there are a lot of little things that should be carefully considered.

Mine came with a couple sets of grips and multiple sets of sights (both front and rear). This has given me the opportunity to try things I probably wouldn't have plunked down the cash for had I commissioned the build myself.

TXGunNut
08-12-2015, 10:54 PM
In all honesty a max Ruger BH load in 45 Colt is all I want to handle but this revolver screams "Hog Gun" and I can't help but like it...even though I'm not terribly fond of Bisleys.