PDA

View Full Version : Oh For JOY! Xrf testing comes to my area!!

Alan in Vermont
08-07-2015, 02:24 PM
I had to take an open top container load of steel scrap to one of our local scrappers the other day. While I was there I asked if they had a scanner. As a matter of fact they now do have one. And they won't charge me for testing. Now I can determine what is in some of the mystery metal I have sitting here. A little over 450# of "stuff" that I will soon know what it is and can figure out just what to do with it.

lobowolf761
08-07-2015, 02:40 PM
Sounds great. Hope it turns out profitable.

Alan in Vermont
08-07-2015, 09:22 PM
Nothing profitable in it but I have one batch, over 400 lbs., of range scrap all smelted out and it won't cast for beans. Once I know what it is I can make it into something that WILL cast. Come to think of it there might be some profit in there once I know it will cast and can sell part of it.

lobowolf761
08-07-2015, 10:37 PM
Exactly. Once you find out what the mix is you will be able to make the proper adjustments needed to come up with the alloy for the particular bullets you will be casting. 450 lbs will make a lot of bullets.

lobowolf761
08-07-2015, 10:44 PM
With range scrap I usually add some tin to the mix to help with proper mould cavity fill or just mould up round ball for my Black Powder weapons using just the range scrap after I have cleaned it up and fluxed it.