PDA

View Full Version : Help with vintage Saeco single stage press

huntin'monkey
08-07-2015, 12:47 AM
146103Hi all. New to the forum, and I have have a question about this old Saeco single stage reloading press I recently came across. I've been using a Lee Loader for years, and planned to step up to a press this year. I can get this press, plus the powder measure, scale and an old reloading manual for 22 bucks. Sounds like a great deal, but I'm not sure if I can use the press. It has a .7mm die and a shell holder in the box. But I run a .308.

I didn't know if the thread pattern of reloading dies was universal, but I understand now that it is. So I should be able to pick up a set of RCBS or Lee or whatever and get going. Except I'd need a shell holder for the .308. As I've been led to understand, this old press (which is supposedly 1950s era) most likely has a proprietary shell holder and I'd have to get an adapter, if such an animal exists, in order to use a new RCBS or Lee shell holder.

So, does anyone have experience with these old presses or have a good direction to steer me in. I've been doing internet searches, but haven't turned up much besides one other press like it that was recently offered on eBay but didn't get any bids. I'd love to get this old thing up and running and make bullets with it in time for elk season.

HGS
08-07-2015, 01:43 AM
At that cheap of a price, I would jump on it. You can still get original dies and shellholders from certain internet auction sites. The powder measure and scales are worth 4 times the buying price for the whole outfit by themselves.

HGS

Wayne Smith
08-07-2015, 08:05 AM
Jump on it. CH4D can provide everything you need, but if that 7mm shell holder is for 7mm Mauser you are home free, it is the same case head as the 308! You will be getting at least $100 worth of reloading gear for $22, how is that not a good deal? If it is a 7Mag shell holder ram you can get a dedicated .308ram or you can get a ram with the RCBS style universal head, which is what I would do. Take a good look, if the top of the ram has a spring around it you have the universal shell holder head already.

Another post here with a close up of the ram head will answer most of your questions. A conversation with Dave Davidson @ CH4D one evening (be prepared to talk for a while!) will get you set up with exactly what you need.

huntin'monkey
08-07-2015, 09:48 AM
I'm not familiar with @ CH4D. Care to inform me?

VHoward
08-07-2015, 10:00 AM
http://www.ch4d.com/

seagiant
08-08-2015, 12:20 AM
Hi,
The Saeco PM's are my favorites!

Top quality!!!

huntin'monkey
08-08-2015, 05:12 PM
The shell holder in the press was too big for .308, but it turns out that there was another shell holder in the bottom of the old case, that fits perfectly.It's the one on the right, which is good because it doesn't look like you could drop a modern shell holder in

http://i224.photobucket.com/albums/dd228/evilmonkey50/Shell%20holders.jpg http://i224.photobucket.com/albums/dd228/evilmonkey50/Shell%20holders%20side.jpg

I picked up the whole lot and a set of RCBS dies, which do thread in when I take on the long set screw that runs behind the die. I think the set screw was used to set the length of stroke when using these little stubby dies that where with it. It's weird that the sizing die says 30, which I would imagine corresponds to some .30 cal round, and the seating die is 7mm.

http://i224.photobucket.com/albums/dd228/evilmonkey50/Dies%20lenghtwise.jpg
http://i224.photobucket.com/albums/dd228/evilmonkey50/Dies.jpg

I have never used a full sized press before, so I was surprised that the RCBS sizing die bottoms out instead of screwing all the way down. But it does screw down enough that the primer punching pin contacts a little rod inside the ram (just below the shell holder). The seating die screws in deep enough to touch the shell holder before bottoming out (I know you don't want to set it that deep). Here's a picture of the sizing die screwed all the way in.

http://i224.photobucket.com/albums/dd228/evilmonkey50/Die%20in%20press.jpg

I have about 10 neck-sized and primed cases that I'd set up with my Lee Loader. I think I'll fill them with powder and try to seat some 180 grain Winchester soft points what I use for practice ammo and see how it goes.

Mk42gunner
08-08-2015, 05:34 PM
Looks to me like the Saeco stubby die is meant for neck sizing any .30 caliber case. Just guessing, I have never seen one before your picture.

Please read the instructions that came with your die set, they do not have to be screwed in all the way, or even really need firm contact with the ram at the full upward position. Also the decapping pin can be adjusted so it just pushes the spent primer out.

While the press is no Rockchucker, I would say you did good for $22.00 plus a set of dies.

Robert

LUBEDUDE
08-08-2015, 07:22 PM
You can run your dies down deeper as needed. Just run the nut up from the bottom.

huntin'monkey
08-08-2015, 07:55 PM
You can run your dies down deeper as needed. Just run the nut up from the bottom. I understand how a lock nut works ;-). When I ran the die down as far as it would go, the lock nut was all the way at the top of the threading.

I think there's a lip at the bottom of the threading inside the press, that the die bottoms out against. If I needed more adjustment, I supposed I could run a tap through it. I think Mk42gunner is right; I should just have enough adjustment for the full length sizing die. We'll see.

huntin'monkey
08-08-2015, 08:02 PM
Looks to me like the Saeco stubby die is meant for neck sizing any .30 caliber case. Just guessing, I have never seen one before your picture.

Please read the instructions that came with your die set, they do not have to be screwed in all the way, or even really need firm contact with the ram at the full upward position. Also the decapping pin can be adjusted so it just pushes the spent primer out.

While the press is no Rockchucker, I would say you did good for $22.00 plus a set of dies.

Robert
Thanks for pointing out the adjustment issue. I was thinking that was the case. And it would be a serious bonus if the old stubby die marked .30 was universal .30 cal neck sizer. Didn't know such a thing existed. I have between 300 and 400 pieces of brass that are fire formed to my chamber and I don't reload for other folks (at this point).

I do have a batch that I reloaded at max pressure, enough that the bolt was getting tight taking them out. I backed off the powder in the load a bit, and set those cases aside. I'm thinking I'll want to full size those ones (there are no damage signs like splits or bulges at the neck).

LUBEDUDE
08-08-2015, 08:27 PM
Sorry Monkey, didn't mean to insult you, I didn't follow your train of thought. :)

Pressman
08-09-2015, 07:38 AM
The Saeco is a bit different in that it was meant to use their stubby dies and not anyone else's. Don't mean you cannot, just have to work with the design. The large flange shellholder and 1/4" rod located behind the die were used to adjust ram travel, case fit into the die. The little dies are threaded all the way into the die and the stop rod adjusted for seating and sizing. It works, just different. The shellholders have a long, 1/2" shank so they don't interchange with anything else.
Without measuring, I believe the rams are standard diameter and length allowing a replacement for CH4D to be easily installed.

They are neat little presses, with emphasis on little. Be careful not to overload it when full length sizing rifle cases.

Ken

huntin'monkey
08-09-2015, 12:57 PM
Sorry Monkey, didn't mean to insult you, I didn't follow your train of thought. :)
No worries.

The Saeco is a bit different in that it was meant to use their stubby dies and not anyone else's. Don't mean you cannot, just have to work with the design. The large flange shellholder and 1/4" rod located behind the die were used to adjust ram travel, case fit into the die. The little dies are threaded all the way into the die and the stop rod adjusted for seating and sizing. It works, just different. The shellholders have a long, 1/2" shank so they don't interchange with anything else.
Without measuring, I believe the rams are standard diameter and length allowing a replacement for CH4D to be easily installed.

They are neat little presses, with emphasis on little. Be careful not to overload it when full length sizing rifle cases.

Ken

Thanks, Ken. That's what I was thinking. Is the .30 cal die a universal .30 neck sizer? That would be handy. In addition to reloading my .308, I'd love to put rounds together for a friend's 30-06. I've instructed him to start saving his once-fired brass. If so, how do I measure the stroke I need to fully seat the rounds in the die, so I can set the stop rod correctly? Last night I was playing with it, and set the die up so the decapping pin just pushed the primer out of a case, and then set the rod to match that.

I also played with my new RCBS dies in it. I was able to successfully seat bullets in 10 cases I'd pre-neck sized and primed with my Lee Loader.

I then backed the decapping pin all the way out on the full size seating die, and set it to what I thought was the proper depth (indicated by the instructions that came with it). The die had enough travel in the press to give me that, so it looks like new dies will work with it. But I may have started to run into your cation about overloading the press with full length sizing. It definitely took a lot to push the cases (not sure if they were properly lubed, but they were lubed) into the die, and I couldn't push them all the way to the bottom of the stroke (not sure if the rounds are supposed to seat all the way up in the die or not).

Any more advice on full length sizing you have would be great.

seagiant
08-10-2015, 11:24 AM
Hi,
Well...I wouldn't think about sizing rifle cases (especially semi-auto rifles) without a case gauge!

This will let you know when you are good on your headspace!

And have your dies adjusted correctly for full length resizing!

huntin'monkey
08-10-2015, 10:27 PM
How do you set the powder measure?

seagiant
08-11-2015, 08:38 PM
Hi,
Just turn the adjust knob till you get the weight you want of powder!

It's very simple! You do need a scale! Of course!

http://www.castpics.net/subsite/Manuals/SaecoMeasure.pdf

seagiant
08-11-2015, 08:40 PM
Hi,

huntin'monkey
08-13-2015, 11:26 PM
Hi,

Something's wrong with that link. The pdf downloads, but it's blank. Thanks for trying though.

seagiant
08-14-2015, 05:42 PM
Hi,
Works for me????

Wayne Smith
08-16-2015, 01:25 PM
Worked for me on my iPad.