PDA

View Full Version : 7.65x53 Soft Point Surplus

timspawn
08-06-2015, 10:51 PM
I found some 7.65x53 on stripper clips that I didn't know I had. It has a soft point bullet, crimped primer and a sealant on the case mouth. FM headstamp dated "65". What's the story with soft point surplus?

Der Gebirgsjager
08-06-2015, 11:41 PM
Just about 100% guaranteed that it was originally FMJ ammo and someone pulled the bullets and replaced them with soft points to provide inexpensive hunting ammo. There was a time when about the only choice for 7.65x53 mm hunting ammo was Norma--always an expensive proposition, especially for someone who's personal economy dictated the use of a "sporterized" Argentine or Belgian Mauser. A country that loaded and issued softpoint ammo would be in violation of the Hague Convention which outlawed "Dum-Dum" ammo. If upon close inspection the sealant around the mouth of the cartridge is actually on the bullet as well as the case someone tried to waterproof it as an after thought. It used to be a very common practice to make FMJ military ammo useful by replacing the bullet only and using the primer and powder the case was originally loaded with. Did it myself back in the day.

Frank46
08-06-2015, 11:46 PM
I have some argentine 7.65x53 commercial made by FM. Doesn't say on the box what grain weight the bullet is. Comes in 15 round boxes and is dated 65 like yours. Headstamp is as follows. FM "SF" 7.65-65 I tried some of these in a 1891 argentine mauser and they will not chamber. So took one apart and removed the decapping pin and full length resized the case and reseated the bullet. Then tried it in the same rifle. Little stiff resistance when chambered. Frank

LAGS
08-06-2015, 11:56 PM
Wouldn't the FN be more likely to be the 7.65 x 53 Belgian, and not the Argentine.
There is a Very slight differance between the two.

timspawn
08-07-2015, 10:23 AM
I have some argentine 7.65x53 commercial made by FM. Doesn't say on the box what grain weight the bullet is. Comes in 15 round boxes and is dated 65 like yours. Headstamp is as follows. FM "SF" 7.65-65 I tried some of these in a 1891 argentine mauser and they will not chamber. So took one apart and removed the decapping pin and full length resized the case and reseated the bullet. Then tried it in the same rifle. Little stiff resistance when chambered. Frank

Mine is marked the same way. Thank you.

EDG
08-07-2015, 01:31 PM
Just skip it and buy PPU soft points or FMJ if you buy ammo.
If you hand load use PPU brass or make it from ..270 or .30-06 brass.