PDA

View Full Version : Why no pistol data for WSH..... here is why!

guncheese
08-06-2015, 03:27 PM
well back from the range
and i must say im not to fond of WSH in handguns
it will run ok in a pinch for light loads
but it seems to get a bit stoopid/slow/weird when you start to get some pressure in the chamber
it felt very sharp in the .38 (like Titegroup, lots of bang and show for nothing) and in .45 acp when i got to where i thought it should run nice it was tossing unburnt or partly burnt flakes all over. for the way slow loads it seem fairly clean but still sharp for that speed of powder.I did not even finish the test loads (maybe blast those in my buddies BlackHawk)
im not even going to try to make this work, im afraid its going to hockystick on me if that unburnt decides to burn,
anything over normal SAAMI shotgun pressure 11,500psi or what ever it is seems to get weird (used quickload to mock that up)
ill just keep it around for "just in case" you know who declares himself Pres. for another term or we get any of the other bozons that think they should be elected and we cant buy powder for 3 more years ugggg.

so long story short
Hodgdon's didnt release pistol data for WSH because youll put your eye out!!
so nothing to see here, move along

here is a link to a google sheet of the chrono data
WSH and pistol loads... the real truth (https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B4sRbF_O57_tWmphOHRjRjNPSjA/view?pli=1)

Duckiller
08-06-2015, 04:06 PM
What is WSH?

guncheese
08-06-2015, 04:25 PM
What is WSH?

Winchester Super Handicap
Super Handicap is the same propellant used in Winchester's Super Handicap ammunition. This slow-burning, high energy propellant gives the shooter great handicap or long range sporting clays loads at up to 1250 fps with a 1-1/8 ounce shot charge. Great velocity with excellent patterns!

tazman
08-06-2015, 04:33 PM
Interesting.
I have been using WSH(Winchester Super Handicap) in 9mm and 38 special for a couple of years with good to excellent results. I get my best accuracy in my 9mm with a 135 grain boolit using WSH.
The 9mm certainly runs at higher pressures than 11,500psi and so does the higher ranges of 38 special.
I have never had an indication of excessive pressure or unburned powder in any of my WSH loads.

guncheese
08-06-2015, 04:40 PM
i sure didnt see any signs of pressure trouble!
in the .38 the cases fell right out
and everything was fine in the .45 but such sharp recoil and so much **** flying all over
maybe it levels back out when you get to 20k or something
but im saving it for uber light plinkers
550fps from a 1911 is fun!!!

tazman
08-06-2015, 09:41 PM
guncheese--550fps from a 1911 is fun!!!
I also think that particular speed and the associated light recoil would be a lot of fun. I don't have a 45acp currently but it may be in my future fairly soon.

guncheese
08-06-2015, 10:13 PM
think that particular speed and the associated light recoil would be a lot of fun
its funny before i got the chrono i had been very pleased with 3.4gr of red dot or 3.6gr of BE under the 200gr swc
now that im trying to keep things in the traditional speed range (700 to 750fps) i find i dont like the recoil
my gun is tuned for those 650fps loads and it runs awesome there
ive been running 700x and Solo 1000 in 45 as of late and they are very easy shootin at the 700fps level
but i poured a hopper of BE and will run a few hundred out at 3.9gr for old time sake.....

when i was at the range today
the guys from the Dept of Justice were getting ready for a training session
(ohh how i wanted to stay for that, they carry G21s and keep fancy .308s handy, pretty bad **** crowd they are)
but they sure liked how i can clang steel at 25 yds....
and i was mad as i was showing off with the WSH loads and at 4.3gr or what ever they were
it wasnt my normal POI so i missed one round out of the magazine
ohhhh maybe next time

popper
08-07-2015, 01:00 PM
Dept of Justice Had one of them, a trainer, a few years back. Called a 'special' cease fire so he could hang targets. Then proceeded to blast away with his 'black gun', 50 yds. Even I can shoot better than that. Fancy clothes, fancy gun, flashy badge - ***.