PDA

View Full Version : Newest Special project, running out of room in the garage...

Any Cal.
08-06-2015, 01:27 AM
Well, here is my current special project... one of them.

I got a nice deal on this mill, it had been sitting for several years because the y axis was out. Spent a few hours getting it going and brought it home. Wrote my first program on it last night for cutting some supports. The downside is that I badly need to get the coolant pump going, but know little about some of these components. Hoping there is an industrial sparky (or somebody who plays one on tv) that could help out.

Here are a couple pics, will give what info I can after.

The second pic is the back of the switch and indicator light. The indicator never turns on, the switch works and has power to it. There is power to the top of the starter/contactor, no power ever through to the bottom. Number 3 wire is hidden, comes into the bottom on the left, is always hot. Not sure which wires are supposed to do what, or would jump them to +/-. There is also a relay to switch it on, but no documentation on it, so a bit difficult to decode.

Any ideas?

webradbury
08-06-2015, 06:48 AM
I want a mill SO bad!

Any Cal.
08-08-2015, 12:55 AM
Got the pump sorted, there was a bad ground wire, so the contactor wouldn't work. Of course, once the pump started running, I learned it was junk, and keeps tripping the overload...

Liking the mill though! Starting to get a feel for the old CNC, just be patient with it and hit reset repeatedly when it stops working. Sort of like hitting a starter with a hammer to get it going. Have to get some paying jobs rolling on it, about done with the first one.

Also have to build a back gear for it, a 20pa 64tooth if anyone has a cutter they would rent out; I am building the gear out of nylon, so pretty low impact. Using a vfd as a bandaid until I get the back gear going.