PDA

View Full Version : Paper patch Hot Rod Renegade progressing.

koger
08-05-2015, 06:49 PM
Posted on here few weeks ago, got advice from Idaho Ron, Johnson 1942 and others, on building this rifle up. I glass bedded the barrel full length and tang, got mold and sizing die, ordered the paper today, #9 onion skin. Last night I sanded down and stripped the factory finish off the Renegade stock, and cut off the stock the thickness of the Limb saver recoil pad, I then fitted. Finished sanding the stock today, looked real plain till stripped, then the walnut had about 6 different dark and light caramel colored grain all thru the stock, 5 x better than the factory dark paste stain. I sanded down thru several grades of sandpaper, stopping at 220 grit, whiskered it to raise the grain, Sanded down again, just finished spraying the 3rd coat of heavy outdoor lacquer, with hardener. This stuff is tough as nails, dries in 15 minutes to steel wool between coats. This thing is looking nice, if I could email or message a video of it, would get someone to post a short video! If ever thing goes well, will be slinging led next weekend!

johnson1942
08-05-2015, 08:06 PM
most likely will convert you all the way to paperpatch. it may become your main squeeze. expect good results.

idahoron
08-05-2015, 08:22 PM
Can't wait to see the pictures.

Harleysboss
08-05-2015, 08:33 PM
Just FYI there is a GM LRH barrel on Gun Brker . It's a 45cal. May fit your gun. This of course is a fast twist like Ron's gun. I just ran across it the other night. Not mine...yet :)

koger
08-05-2015, 08:35 PM
I have high hopes for the paper patching slug. IF it works, I will be getting several of my local shooting buddies into it, they are all waiting, watching. Roger that is what I am thinking. Been shooting ML's some, but working on my pistol shooting as of late, 4 weeks is the Corrections in KY pistol match, all the departments in corrections, Prison guards, state police, sherrifs and city police,Juvenile justice, Parole, game wardens, get to have a once a year match, with a huge traveling trophy, and individual awards. All the money goes to kids charities, of the winners choice! I will either be shooting a Glock 17, or my old standby, Stainless steel, USA made, Springfield 1911!I have the 1911 tuned, did the work myself in 1993, on brand new gun. Next year they switched manufacture of the frame to Brazil, not the same gun in my opinion. My team I shoot on, Juvenile Justice, has swept it last 2 years, this year we are fielding 2 teams. Did a drill 2 days ago, 2 silhouettes, 2 in each torso, then change mag and 2 in each head, timed. My time aint blistering fast, but kept the bullets nearly touching center mass, and same in head. I am pretty smooth, and accurate, you cant miss them fast enough to win.

johnson1942
08-05-2015, 09:59 PM
you live a full life

bubba.50
08-06-2015, 02:07 AM
Just FYI there is a GM LRH barrel on Gun Brker . It's a 45cal. May fit your gun. This of course is a fast twist like Ron's gun. I just ran across it the other night. Not mine...yet :)

Pecatonica River still has some Green Mountain drop-in barrels for T/C's in stock. stainless percussion 1 inch fast twist 45cal for $250.00 and 1 inch blue 50cal fast twist in both flint & percussion for $220.00

Harleysboss
08-06-2015, 10:45 AM
Thats a much better price from Pecatonica! Tempting.