PDA

View Full Version : Got a problem , could use some opinion .

Boaz
08-05-2015, 06:43 PM
Had my 16 year old daughter's eyes checked day before yesterday . She has lost 40% vision in her right eye . I have known there was a problem for a while because she seemed unable to aim a rifle at the range hardly at all , she is right handed . She has been shooting since she was 7 years old and was pretty good with a rifle or handgun . The optometrist said her left eye will be dominate now so has anyone got advice ? I am lost on how to help her , never had the experience so don't know where to begin . I also want to get her a new 9mm semi auto , she is 4.11 tall and has very small hands . She is use to big cal handguns so I'm more concerned with 'fitment' as to her size . Thanks !

ReloaderFred
08-05-2015, 06:56 PM
In classes, we've often had a shooter change over to shoot with the hand the dominant eye is on. It's surprising how many right handed people are left eye dominant, and vice versa.

Have your daughter start practicing shooting left handed with the rifle. It will feel awkward at first, but with practice it will start to feel "normal" for her.

With the handgun, it's easier to shoot cross dominant, but it requires a little different hold and placement of the head. She can work through it with practice, so don't get discouraged as far as the shooting goes.

Hope this helps.

Fred

waarp8nt
08-05-2015, 08:34 PM
My brother in law is right handed left eye dominate. He does most things right handed like write, swing a hammer and turn a wrench. When it comes to shooting...its left handed.

I am right hand right eye, however I do practice shooting handgun left handed. I agree with ReloaderFred its awkward at first....but very do-able.

LUCKYDAWG13
08-05-2015, 09:25 PM
My son lost most of his eyesight in his right eye to when he was 8 years old also right handed I thought him to shoot left-handed your daughter will adjust things are going to be ok

Blackwater
08-05-2015, 09:46 PM
This is a problem (cross eye dominance) that I've fought for many years, and there really isn't a really great solution. The only way to really know is just to work it out by trial and error. Changing to left shoulder shooting is probably the best solution, but it takes a while to do that and get re-conditioned to shooting that way. That's a lot of trouble, but if it was me, and I was starting over again, I think that's the way I'd go. The twig has been bent for me, and the tree grown, so this might just be wistful wishing I'd done differently way back when, but at her age, I really do think that this is probably the best route in the long run. My cross eye dominance isn't as bad as it could be, so I guess I'm lucky, but it has affected my shotgun shooting more than any other shooting. I've learned to close my left eye, at least partially, just before letting the trigger go as a last second means of minimizing the effect, and this has helped with rifle and pistol, but it's not the most desirable method for all applications. My youngest grandson is currently dealing with the same issue, and we're trying different things to just see what tends to work best for him. At 12, he's a bit ambidextrous, and catching it this early gives some more latitude of hope and promise, but it'll always be a problem to be cross eye dominant. At her age, I really think I'd try shooting as much as possible from the left shoulder. I'm not really sure how much of being right or left handed is hard wired into our brains, but I'm speculating that it's pretty firm, but malleable to at least some extent. Conditioning is the key to almost all shooting, so i'm right now leaning toward his shooting from the left shoulder with his dominant left eye. He's amenable to that, and just loves shooting, however it's available to be done, but he does show some tendency to want to shoot from the right shoulder, so .... it's a work in progress, but he does show some promise, no matter which shoulder he's shooting from, so that at least is encouraging.

All I can really say is "Good luck," and just keep trying things. The re-conditioning at her age isn't impossible, but it'll likely be harder than for my 12 yr. old grandson. We all, at any age, find re-purposing our behavior rather difficult, but at least it's not impossible. Just difficult. But what would life be without a challenge along the way?

Wild Bill 7
08-05-2015, 10:20 PM
She will probably learn quickly to shoot lefty being so young. I am a lefty and right eye dominate. Never shot very good because of that. Have a friend who changed me to righty and in no time at all I got very good compared to before. Also I was in my fifties. So have faith in her ability and she will learn fast.

Tim357
08-05-2015, 11:20 PM
For handgun shooting, have her hold the gun normally in her right hand. Preferably a two-hand Weaver type hold. Now have her put her right ear on her right shoulder and line up the sights with her left eye. A shooting instructor showed this to me years ago. It works! Good luck

tazman
08-05-2015, 11:35 PM
I had a bad right eye(right eye dominant and right handed) and learned to shoot left handed for years until I got glasses that actually corrected my vision problems. Changing over really didn't take all that long(I was 11 at the time). I continued to shoot lefty until I was 16. Changing back to righty felt a little funny but wasn't much trouble then either.

Bent Ramrod
08-06-2015, 12:10 AM
As Tim357 said, pistols won't be a problem, she just has to look with her other eye and hold the pistol same as usual.

I had a retinal detachment a few years back and still have a wavy image in my right eye right across the focal point. I started shooting rifles left handed (at age 67), because there wasn't much of a choice. Felt a little weird, but the principles are still the same. The right eye is improving enough so that I could probably shoot right handed with a scope now, but I've stuck with left handed because I'm used to it. It didn't take long to switch the way I set out my Stuff for shooting; now it's pretty much second nature.

Col. Townsend Whelen damaged his right eye sometime around WWI and switched to left handed, if I remember from his writings. He did pretty well thereafter. Best wishes to you and your daughter; she's in good company.

w5pv
08-06-2015, 08:25 AM
The thing that helped me most was learning to shoot with both eyes open,I think I started in this world as a lefty but my parents tried to change me to right handed.I do a lot of things left handed like swinging a bat,shoveling,using both hands to swing a sledge hammer,baitcasting.I can write with either hand but better with doing right hand some times it is an avantage and at time not.

captaint
08-06-2015, 09:41 AM
I am left eye dominant and shoot right handed. No big deal, with a handgun, that is. I just keep both eyes open and turn my head to the right a little. Works out fine.

Harter66
08-06-2015, 11:07 AM
I always shot left handed . It was never a big deal being right handed and left eyed . My youngest son is a lefty and right eyed ,as an instructor that was hard for me to teach because he kept switching hands . As it turns out he became a switch hitter snap shooting on the left and long range on the right . The Army took advantage of this and as a mech on crash recovery and made him a sweep a clear guy.

At 38 my left eye began to go down hill pretty fast falling from 15/20 to 20/40 in 2 yr . About that time I picked up a bow and found (I never have been able to close my left eye independently) I could shoot it both open with a little practice. Then I took to clays right handed within a few months I was breaking (informally ) 16-18 . Then I discovered that the glasses were canceling the 1st 3x of my 3x9 scopes what a difference to see such huge clear targets at 5 and 6x . It took a little time to get squared away but almost all of my shooting is both open on the right now . I still find a flushing game shot on the left side ,but I think that coming to both open has improved the shooting over all.
Pistols I had always shot right handed .

For giggles, next time you watch Saving Private Ryan you should note that the assigned sniper is a lefty . Why this is amusing to me is that when I stared shooting bolts on the right side this curiosity came up . 1 was a left handed rifle which of course I had to reach over the scope to run . The 2nd thing was that I found myself reaching without even thinking over the rifle to run the right hand bolts with my left hand.

For simplicity I would just let her shoot pistols right on left ,she will learn to have a either the needed shoulder adjustment or to "drop lock" her left elbow . It is something that many cross dominant shooters do and don't even know they do . It falls into the here's the tools, this is how you use them now adjust to fit. If she continues to shoot pistols right handed it won't matter but if she switches I would suggest she have revolvers to start . The controls are more friendly without added cost for ambi safeties ,mag releases etc. Lefty rifles are more common now than 30 yr ago ,there are even lefty ARs and they are the same price as the standards . I lived by a BPS but used an Ithaca 37 off and on also . Depending on what the demands of shooting are I think she will excel with a lever gun over a bolt . I'm surprised by how many CDs there are here and how many would help you and her adjust to the switch. It shouldn't surprise me 3 of the 5 in deer camps my whole life were cross dominant. Having a righty for the left side of the duck blind is pretty handy too......er ......a lefty on the right side.
Even if she has been shooting several yrs the switch will be easier for her than those of us that did it 1 way for 20 yr or more then tried to change . Give her the tools and coach from the left she will figure out what does and doesn't need to be fixed . Also if she can wink either eye it will be even easier for her .

Boaz
08-06-2015, 03:56 PM
I would like to thank everyone for their ideas and experiences . This will be a new project for us , she is adaptable so I expect she will do well . You have given us a lot to try . Thank you .

dilly
08-06-2015, 04:12 PM
She needs to be shooting with her left eye. You can train to feel comfortable with a gun in any hand you need to, but your eyesight is just what it is.

What t his means for me is that I shoot rifles left handed, handguns right handed "cross dominant," and I don't much care for bolt actions.

I know there are lefty bolt actions, but they aren't as cool as single shot, lever or semiautomatic. They are also more expensive with less liquidity as an investment. I've never felt severely impaired by any rifle's right handedness except of course bolt actions and bullpups. Some bullpups eject cases downward now, by the way.

bedbugbilly
08-06-2015, 07:42 PM
Boaz - I have been in the "same boat" for a number of years. I have had diabetes (Type 1) for 48 years - which of course can cause may health complications. In the case of my eyes - I developed retinopathy a number of years ago and as a result, have had many laser treatments in both eyes as well as "cryptic" surge to my right eye.

I am rignt handed - right eye dominant - but the central vision in my right eye is pretty well shot. Fortunately, my eyes became stable a number of years ago and they think that they will stay that way from now on so I consider myself fortunate.

As far as shooting - as you were told, her left eye will become dominant. Mind you, it will take time but she will adjust. I tried left handed muzzleloaders - built several but got rid of them as they just seemed "backwards" for me. I still shoot right handed front stuffers and I have several under hammers which are ideal for either left or right handed shooting. Bolt actions, etc. - I shoot them left handed as the left eye is dominant. Pistol shooting . . my left eye has adjusted quite well as the dominant eye.

As far as a 9mm . . . I would suppose that "racking" might be the biggest thing for her to overcome due to her size. However, there are some excellent videos out there that give good instructions on a firm grip with dominant hand and using the push-pull method. There are a number of good 9mm out there. I just picked up a 9mm S & W Shield which of course is a single stack. I am very impressed with it. My hands are not large and I am amazed at how wellI can shoot it - I'm not a semi-auto guy - shoot mostly revolver - but you might have her take a look at one and see how she likes it. Recoil is very manageable with either the 7 or 8 round mag - 7 round leaves less to hang on to but still shoots very nicely.

I don't have kids but I did teach school at times - junior high and high school. You don't state what is causing you daughter's eye problem but I would advise that you keep close track of her moods and keep the communication very open as far as her sight loss goes. I'm sure she will do just fine with whatever adjustments she needs to make but it can be a very difficult thing to deal with. At 16, it could limit some of her prospects as far as what she wants to do for a living, etc. and she needs to be assured that it will all be O.K. It sounds like you do a lot of things together and the relationship is a very good one . . . just keep reinforcing that she is doing well . . . if her shooting results "falls off" . . and it may while she's adjusting . . . just keep reassuring her and encouraging her to keep at it. If you detect any signs of depression, etc. . . get her some help. Sometimes it doesn't even need to be a professional counselor but rather someone who has gone through some vision loss to talk to and to get her to realize that it's not the end of the world and that she will only be limited in her accomplishments by herself setting the limitations.

I have talked to many kids over the years about their diabetes, the problems they may be experiencing or might in the future, etc. It's "different" coming from someone who has had the experiences and sometimes even a doctor or nurse can't do it justice unless they have had the same experiences. If she gets down at all about it . . talk to her eye doctor and maybe he can refer her to another patient that has or has had the same issues that would be willing to talk with her about it. As a Dad . . . you want to "fix" it but can't so I'm sure it's frustrating to you and worries you as well. Trust me . . she knows her vision has gotten worse and she is probably scared stiff about it but doesn't want to alarm any of you. The biggest help you can give is to just show her your support and love and she will "work it out".

Our kindest thoughts to you all and we hope that the vision loss will cease and she adjusts to shooting with her left eye. I'm sure she will be shooting left hand just fine in a while and I hope you can find a 9mm that she likes. Good luck!

CastingFool
08-06-2015, 08:11 PM
Boaz, I'm right handed, but left eye dominant, extremely so, to the point that when I drive I noticed I tilt my head slightly to the right. I have no problem shooting a pistol with my right hand, and using my left eye to aim. It's not an issue with rifles as they are scoped, which forces me to use my left eye. I have difficult time with wing shooting, but I still go goose hunting once in a while. I'm ok if they are flying directly towards me or away from me.

RKJ
08-06-2015, 08:30 PM
Boaz, I don't know if you or your daughter have tried a Browning High Power but they (to me) seem have a small grip and they point like it's an extension of your finger. If you go to GB and do a search you'll find (at least there used to be) a ton of them. There are a bunch of Surplus (I believe Israeli police but not certain of that) Coles is a big name there and they are good to deal with. I got one (that I think is very nice) for 450.00 with all FFL fees.

Harter66
08-06-2015, 08:58 PM
I didnt think of long term.
My dad lost his eye when he was 7 . At 40 he was fed up with the 55 speed limit and got his pilots license ,depth perception is kind of important for landing. In the 60s he shot trap with a lifetime average of 23/25 with a 32 in M12 in full choke . He did a little drag racing also . He killed way more than his share of ducks geese and dove as well.

Boaz
08-06-2015, 10:04 PM
bedbugbilly you offer good advice and it is taken in the same spirit that it was offered . Thank you sir ! She is OCD and hardheaded just like me , all you have to do is tell her she can't do something and I guarantee she will get it done or die trying . It's just me and her , I raised her from a baby she knows I'll be there for her . Plus she has a deep and abiding love for GOD who will be there for her always .

Everyone here has offered good thoughts , ideas and experiences and I assure you they will be considered and used . Next trip to the range she will be shooting left handed , as a matter of fact I will try it myself to encourage her . She loves competition . Thank you all !

Butchman205
08-06-2015, 11:54 PM
Great job on helping your daughter man. Very cool to see concerned parents help their kids with whatever comes up.

It sounds like ya'll have a great plan going forward...and I suggest to everyone I know to practice right hand/right eye and left hand/left eye shooting. It very much helps with technique and muscle memory.

After I started swapping up on my practice, I was surprised at how often I was successful with offhand shots while deer hunting from a tree stand ...that I wouldn't have taken before. And before I learned to shoot either way, I spooked and missed an opportunity on several nice deer while trying to get around to shoot right handed.

mart
08-07-2015, 02:22 AM
I was in my forties ( I'm 56 now) when I became a firearms instructor for the agency I worked for at the time. I have always been left handed and left eye dominant. However I had to become at least competent as a right handed shooter in both tactical shotgun and handgun disciplines in order to teach both right and left handed shooters. I am still a left handed shooter and still a firearms instructor and can run a gun from either side as needed now. If an old dog can learn to do it I'm sure a malleable 16 year old can manage the switch. Best of luck to you.

MT Gianni
08-07-2015, 10:25 AM
Thankfully she is young enough to be adaptable. Have her practice for 10 minutes a day with an empty gun in the house. With a pistol close the non dominate eye and bring it up to sights, with a rifle go from arms rest to on target several times. As soon as you are on target open the eye. She should soon be able to eliminate closing her eye. With a muzzle loader it's time to get her a left hand gun.

johnson1942
08-07-2015, 11:22 AM
my 16 year old son is right handed and left eye dominant. so he learned to shoot left handed. 10 deer later with a couple of them real real wall hangers, it works fine for him. my daughter is attending the u. of s.dak for criminal justice and wants to be hiway patrol or investigator in a larger town or city. her hands are small and i looked at every 9mm out their to buy her and when the time comes it will be a beretta and i forget the model but a compact one. never misfires, easy to hold and point and will fit her very well. when the left eye takes over your daughter could loose her vision in the rt. eye. if her eye dr. isnt trying to prevent that, seek out one that will address that. it can be saved. her failing eye is worth saveing.

Boaz
08-07-2015, 04:51 PM
my 16 year old son is right handed and left eye dominant. so he learned to shoot left handed. 10 deer later with a couple of them real real wall hangers, it works fine for him. my daughter is attending the u. of s.dak for criminal justice and wants to be hiway patrol or investigator in a larger town or city. her hands are small and i looked at every 9mm out their to buy her and when the time comes it will be a beretta and i forget the model but a compact one. never misfires, easy to hold and point and will fit her very well. when the left eye takes over your daughter could loose her vision in the rt. eye. if her eye dr. isnt trying to prevent that, seek out one that will address that. it can be saved. her failing eye is worth saveing.

I will check on the Beretta's , I like them myself . No need to worry about her not getting treatment , I'll sell a kidney to get it done but at this point they say there just isn't anything to be done except to maintain .

opos
08-07-2015, 06:29 PM
Been shooting since I was a kid...I'm just about to turn 78....A few years ago I noticed "floaters and flashes" in my right eye...went to an eye doc and he sent me to a retinologist...I have a "branch retinal occlusion" which was a broken artery in the retina..it has healed but there is still the scar that causes distortion in my right eye and precludes the use of that eye for iron sights.

I shoot with both eyes open on a handgun..it's taken some practice but is ok and I get reasonable groups..certainly nothing like I used to shoot but still enjoy shooting and loading. I tried the "right ear on right shoulder and aim with the left eye" but never could get any consistency.

I shoot a rifle with a red dot or a scope only...no iron sights which is a real disappointment as I was always a decent rifle shot..with a scope I can sort of let my right eye (with the scarring) settle in on the crosshairs and "interpret" where they intersect and I shoot pretty well...couldn't hunt that way but am too old to much care about hunting anyway....sure makes it tough to lose things that we had ...but part of the process.