PDA

View Full Version : Softning of Lead/Tin Alloys.Time 2 Shoot

Irascible
03-29-2008, 02:56 PM
I just read an article in the latest Issue of the CBA newsletter/magazine where Bill Furguson "The Antimony Man" stated that lead/tin alloys soften with age as compared to alloys with antimony and arsenic which harden. He claims that an alloy of 24/1 lead/tin will soften from 12.5 BNH to 10.5 in a week or so.
Given that is the truth, and he is the expert, how long do you fellows shooting BPCRS wait to shoot your castings? Or is that small a change disregarded?
I do wait at least 10 days with my other alloys, but have ignored time with my BP alloys because I didn't think they changed!

KAF
03-30-2008, 06:54 AM
Not to dissagree, but I'll have to check that out. Cast some check the BHN wait then check BHN again.

I found out thet alloy with antimoney gets harder that way.

Nope I am not from MO.

Ricochet
03-31-2008, 12:07 PM
The "Key to Metals" article on heat treatment of lead alloys that I've pointed to in the past, which seems to now be unavailable without registering (with payment) on the site but is the basis for a lot of the info in the Glenn Fryxell article on alloys and heat treatment, said that solution hardened lead/tin alloys soften with aging.

montana_charlie
03-31-2008, 02:57 PM
the Glenn Fryxell article on alloys and heat treatment, said that solution hardened lead/tin alloys soften with aging.
Could you define 'solution hardened' for me (and anyone else afflicted with my level of ignorance)?
CM

Dale53
03-31-2008, 11:59 PM
Bill Ferguson is a Certified Metallurgist and I listen to what he has to say.

However, I have cast bullets at 30/1 and used them a year or so later with NO loss of accuracy. BPCR's seem to be rather tolerant of bullet alloy (as long as it is soft enough). I shot BPCR for fifteen years and that is just my experience.

Dale53

Ricochet
04-02-2008, 03:14 PM
Solution hardening means heating the alloy till the alloying elements are in a solid solution and quenching.