PDA

View Full Version : Need help identifying a percussion shotgun

Texantothecore
08-05-2015, 03:13 PM
I am not a shotgun guy but I just put down some money on a double barreled percussion shotgun.

On the piece between the barrels is engraved "H. Zapff Hamburg.

The barrel is in excellent condition, the wood may show signs of some shrinkage. One of the locks needs repair but it will probably be quickly fixed.

There is what appears to be cast or cut engraving on the long and graceful lock plate and the tang. Behind each nipple is an engraved crescent plate which shields the shooter from the copper shrapnel from the percussion cap. Very thoughtful.
It has two sights, a front sight and a receiver sight mounted on the piece between barrels.

It looks like a shooter but I can't find any info on the manufacturer.

pietro
08-05-2015, 06:22 PM

FYI, there were literally hundreds (if not more) small gunsmithing shops, all over Europe, that made the lock/stock/barrel of any type of gun that was either ordered or they thought they could sell - and, except for the more prolific gunmakers, there's usually no knowledge/details available outside of the local area where the gun(s) were made, whenever.

Pics are needed of what you have (you said "barrel", singular, and "locks", plural), with closeups of any proofmarks (probably German, give the "Hamburg" addy) in the metal parts (usually hidden by wood, and/or on the inside surface of a lockplate) - before most familiar with older guns could opine as to what you have, etc.

The proofmarks, if any (it might have been made prior to the enactment of mandatory proof laws), can usually determine the range of years that a particular mark was used.

Also, ALWAYS remove the buttplate for an inspection, as sometimes a gun owner will secrete a hunting license, a bill-of-sale, or their name/etc there.

An older German gunmaking firm, now located in the US, might be fimilair with that maker's name, & able to help:

German Hunting Gun Society: info@GermanHuntingGuns.com
Dietrich Apel, Editor
P.O. Box 385
Meriden, NH 03770 U.S.A.

i

johnson1942
08-05-2015, 10:00 PM
did it come back as a war trophy.

Texantothecore
08-05-2015, 11:22 PM
did it come back as a war trophy.

Not that I know of. It has been cared for though over the years and is in good shape.

johnson1942
08-06-2015, 08:11 AM
lots of high quality war trophys came back. saw one, a double barrel shot shell gun, a couple years ago that sold for 5,000 dollars. pointed like your finger.

Texantothecore
08-06-2015, 12:08 PM
lots of high quality war trophys came back. saw one, a double barrel shot shell gun, a couple years ago that sold for 5,000 dollars. pointed like your finger.

I did find out that Herman Zapff of Hamburg was actively building guns between 1850 and 1870 so the gun is quite a bit older than I thought. Best pointing shotgun I've ever handled. Points like a laser.

johnson1942
08-06-2015, 12:27 PM
you gave me a new term, points like a laser, that tells it all.