PDA

View Full Version : Casting Aprons?

boatswainsmate
08-05-2015, 11:05 AM
Hello All,
I was wondering what people are using as casting aprons. I have been looking at Kevlar or Aluminized type apron for general casting and scrap meltdown. Thanks in advance!

ReloaderFred
08-05-2015, 11:15 AM
A regular cloth or leather apron will work just fine. All you really need to stop are the occasional lead splashes when smelting or adding alloy to the pot. Kevlar would probably melt if hit with a large amount of molten alloy, since it's a synthetic material not designed to stop extreme heat.

Hope this helps.

Fred

NavyVet1959
08-05-2015, 11:59 AM
I just use the leather one for welding that Harbor Freight sells. It works for molten steel and that is a lot hotter than molten lead. Good enough for molten steel splatter, but if you are planning on dumping a large pot of molten metal on yourself, you might find out how fast you really can move. :)

http://www.harborfreight.com/split-leather-welding-apron-45193.html

I have two of them -- one for welding, casting, smelting, and another for when I'm deep frying or grilling. :)

Walla2
08-05-2015, 12:02 PM
My wife made one from medium weight cotton. It has stopped everything that has come its way. Cooler than leather and lighter weight.

country gent
08-05-2015, 12:03 PM
I also use an leather apron when smelting and sometimes casting. Not sure how well kevalar would stand up to the heat or a spill or splater being a arimid fiber it might melt. Leather works and isnt expensive, is readily available. At work it was cotton duck cloth white aprons to protect clothes from oils and chips. These heavy cotton aprons would probably also work okay. Stay away from sunthetic fibers that may melt and stick to you.

wddodge
08-05-2015, 01:02 PM
I use a leather apron that gets used for a little bit of everything, welding, grinding or whatever else goes on in the shop. I've found that welding gloves doesn't give me the dexterity when casting. For that I wear a pair of cow skin leather gloves. I can feel the heat if I pick up something hot but they stop splatters just fine.

Denny

tja6435
08-05-2015, 01:38 PM
Leather apron off Amazon, with some modifications to make it easier to use/hang up.

Kraschenbirn
08-05-2015, 01:58 PM
I've got a heavy 'Fire Hose' canvas apron from Duluth Trading Co. that I wear for casting/smelting and general shop work...light welding, grinding, woodworking, etc. Adequate protection from spatters, spills (stuck valve on the bottom-pour), and a visit from the tinsel fairy.

Bill

bangerjim
08-05-2015, 03:23 PM
The HF welding leather apron is fine for what we do. I wear one all the time when casting. Has saved my lap from little splashes and "oops's". HF stores are everywhere these days!

boatswainsmate
08-05-2015, 03:43 PM
This video I made is the reason why i'm looking for a good heat resistant material to use. My melter puts off allot of heat! That's why I was thinking about the Aluminized type apron. Thanks for all the reply's.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jPtpOBLJ378

JesterGrin_1
08-05-2015, 03:52 PM
A cotton dish washer or waiters apron works great. It is light and breaths. Also if one really wishes since it is cotton is to simply soak it in water and wring it out before putting it on. In this way it is a bit cooler to wear and lead splatter usually will not stick and leave little black spots lol.

Hey I am in South TEXAS it is hot enough as it is without help lol. :)

Duckiller
08-05-2015, 04:28 PM
Boat, a turkey friar and a cast iron dutch oven will do a good job of melting lead. Also gives you room to get out of the way if a spill occurs. I scoop waste off the top of my melt with a solid ladle. An apron is only to stop splatters. You don't want spills anywhere near you and you don't want any clothing that would hold the spill against your skin. For smelting I do it outside with lots of room to jump back if it starts to spill. Your melter is impressive but I believe my turkey friar is just as fast.

Le Loup Solitaire
08-05-2015, 08:59 PM
I use the welder's apron sold by HF as part of their kit.Reasonably priced and does the job when it comes to spatters, drips, etc. The gloves do a good job too. I don't use dutch ovens or turkey friers...just bottom pour units. LLS

popper
08-05-2015, 09:37 PM
Cotton dish towel tucked into my belt. Long sleeve cotton shirt for summer, heavier one with blue jeans for winter.

brassrat
08-05-2015, 10:00 PM
As for gloves, I have a bunch but use one cheap, wool liner glove to cast and nothing on my left. It works well for handling sprues and hot boolets etc. and I don't feel like it will catch on something like heavy gloves.

John Boy
08-05-2015, 10:47 PM
Welder's Leather Combo Set 3 Pc ... http://www.harborfreight.com/3-piece-welders-leather-combo-set-94128.html

Trinidad Bill
08-06-2015, 08:44 AM
I just use the leather one for welding that Harbor Freight sells. It works for molten steel and that is a lot hotter than molten lead. Good enough for molten steel splatter, but if you are planning on dumping a large pot of molten metal on yourself, you might find out how fast you really can move. :)

http://www.harborfreight.com/split-leather-welding-apron-45193.html

I have two of them -- one for welding, casting, smelting, and another for when I'm deep frying or grilling. :)

Thanks for the tip on that one, especially the second one for grilling. Got a couple coming!

Leadmelter
08-06-2015, 09:43 PM
I use a leather farrier's apron that covers me from my shoulders to my toes. I found it one Evil-Bay. I needed extenders because of my size.
My last visit to Harbor Freight, I found welders arm pads to cover my arms so I can wear a t-shirt when it is hot.
My wife said it made an excellent Halloween costume.
Be comfortable and cast!
Leadmelter
MI

BMKoenig
08-07-2015, 11:01 AM
I bought a leather hide from "Uncle George's Discount Leather Hides" and cut out my own apron. It was about $60 for the hide. It's softer than the welding aprons I have seen and more comfortable to wear in my opinion.

alamogunr
08-07-2015, 11:17 AM
This video I made is the reason why i'm looking for a good heat resistant material to use. My melter puts off allot of heat! That's why I was thinking about the Aluminized type apron. Thanks for all the reply's.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jPtpOBLJ378

Just watched the video. What was the stuff he was melting? I've never seen lead in that form.

To stay on topic, a master welder told me one time that all he wore for welding were starched denim shirts and jeans. This was after I told him that I wore a flannel shirt. He said that was one of the worst things to wear.

NavyVet1959
08-07-2015, 11:26 AM
Just watched the video. What was the stuff he was melting? I've never seen lead in that form.

It says in the description of the video, "reclaimed lead shot".

alamogunr
08-07-2015, 12:08 PM
It says in the description of the video, "reclaimed lead shot".

Thanks! I missed that, but then I've never been anywhere there was enough shot to reclaim.

slim1836
08-07-2015, 01:21 PM
Thanks! I missed that, but then I've never been anywhere there was enough shot to reclaim.

The public range I go to reclaims shot from their skeet and trap ranges, saw it in action last year and it looked like a very dirty operation. They also mined all their berms. It may now be mandated to do this.
Slim

wurgerburger
08-08-2015, 12:35 PM
I asked my mother to make a leather apron. God bless her.

jcameron996
08-08-2015, 05:41 PM
I have to side with the old welder. I just wear a long sleeve denim shirt, jeans and good boots. I also wear good fitting leather gloves for both welding and casting/smelting. They give good dexterity and if it's too hot to pick up with leather gloves you shouldn't be picking it up in the first place.

Geezer in NH
08-13-2015, 02:18 PM
I use the same leather shop apron I wear when grinding knives. I also wear leather work boots, don't wear synthetic footwear or flip flops when casting.