PDA

View Full Version : potential steady supply..... we'll see

Indiana shooter
08-05-2015, 01:12 AM
I ran into a guy wile fishing yesterday afternoon, after a wile of shooting the bull he noticed my special sinkers. He asked about them so I told him why they work as well as they do. He seemed very interested in them so I gave him quite a few ( 25 or so at 3.5oz average). He told me he'd repay me for the gesture later and asked for my number.

Well, the man called me today and asked if I could use WW to make those sinkers "well sure, of course". The man went on to tell me he owns 9 local big name tire shops and hell start having his guys throw the PB WW in a separate bucket for me. In return he wants me to make him my sinkers and if at all possible a hundred boolits a bucket for .45 acp that he could reload with. I reluctantly agreed to his terms.:bigsmyl2:

Hopefully, this works out. If so I'll finally have a steady supply of WW as well as roof flashing, what more do I need.

RogerDat
08-05-2015, 01:16 AM
Propane.

Good deal, cast your bread (or sinkers) upon the waters.....

bubbacrabb
08-05-2015, 03:51 AM
Sounds like a great deal

lightman
08-05-2015, 05:02 PM
Good on you for sharing your sinkers with a stranger. It sounds like a really good deal. Most of us would make that trade!

Read the stickies on sorting wheelweights and the one about the alloys in stick on weights. Wheelweights are nasty and you don't want to melt them in your casting pot, so you need some type of smelting set up.

Shop around for a turkey fryer with with a good sturdy frame, a large dutch oven and some ingot molds. A propane tank cut in half is also good for smelting. If you can weld, ingot molds can be made from scrap angle iron or channel. You'll also need some type of ladle and something to skim off the clips and other junk. Rowell makes a nice ladle. A thermometer is also handy to have around. Look at some of the recent threads on guys smelting and see some of what they are doing. You also need to obtain some sawdust and maybe some beeswax for flux. A few guys on here sell smelting gear, so you might want to give that a look.

You might need a little tin, but you can cast up a few bullets and see how they fill out. Solder is a good source as is food grade pewter. Both are occasionally offered for sale by members on this site.

Be greedy and stock up while this source is there, lead weights are getting harder to find. Hope this was some help to you and Good Luck!

4719dave
08-09-2015, 05:16 PM
right place right time

mfraser264
08-10-2015, 10:23 PM
Make is a great value for both sides and things like this work out well I have found.

ericp
08-13-2015, 09:00 AM
Gotta love it when folks can help each other out and come up with a beneficial arrangement for both parties. A local guy here owns three tire shops and in return for all of the lead wheelweights they have each month I provide him with two cords of firewood each year. Doesn't get any better.

Eric