PDA

View Full Version : Bartlein barrels unique configuration

AbitNutz
08-04-2015, 11:45 PM
I have heard of Bartlein barrels but have never seen one nor have I ever met anyone who had one. I have heard they're a top notch barrel but beyond that all I know is on their web sight and some Internet reviews.

I was looking at their web sight and I saw that you could spec one in an interesting configuration and I would like to try it but I suspect the wait would be close to an eternity, as with almost all barrel makers anymore.

1) All of their barrels are cut rifled, which appeals to me. I'm sure button and hammer forged barrels are just as good in most cases. I just happen to like cut rifled. The Krieger stainless on my M1A is cut rifled and it is really quite a barrel.

2) They make both 5R and 7R rifling configurations, which is something I've always wanted to try. I don't think that there is anything magic about the Obermeyer 5R and Kreiger says accuracy is the same as conventionally rifling. I just would like to try it.

3) They offer progressive twist rifling also known as gain twist rifling. They wrote that you can start at a 1-14 twist at the breech and end up at a 1-7 twist at the muzzle, regardless of barrel length. The rifling twist can uniformly increase throughout the entire length of the barrel. I know that years ago many guns used progressive twist rates. I have an original Colt 1860 Army that is a gain twist.

So, it looks like I could order a .458, 7R, gain twist, cut rifled, 416 stainless, fluted barrel. I think that would be incredibly cool. I doubt it would work any better than a barrel that is conventionally configured but it sure would be unique. I'm not sure the twist range I would specify.

It would be a little expensive but not beyond reason. I'm sure I've paid more for less.

What twist range would do you think would be good?

warpspeed
08-05-2015, 12:50 AM
What is the cartridge ?

I have a Bartlien on a bolt action rifle and found the product to be everything advertised. They are very helpful and if you asked them for advice they will give it freely. Good bunch of guys.

AbitNutz
08-05-2015, 07:26 AM
How long did it take you to get your barrel? I sent them an email and got an automated response saying they were so busy that they may not be able to answer emails or phone calls...My worry with that is...how do you place an order? Are they taking orders?

I haven't settled on a cartridge...I love big bores and lead bullets. Anything from 45/70 up to and including 450 Nitro Express. A .458, 7R, gain twist, cut rifled, 416 stainless, fluted barrel is so neat it may not need a rifle.

BK7saum
08-05-2015, 09:22 AM
Are you sure about the gain twist? It has been my understanding that a gain twist barrel gained two inches of twist, more or less. From 14 to 12 or from 10 to 8, but not from 14 to 7. I could be mistaken, but worth a double check.

Just checked and 14-7 is exactly what they can offer. Learn something new every day.

Also due to change in twist, would that open up a groove or gap at the rifling for a chance of blowby and gas cutting?

I've considered a gain twist in the past but talked myself out of it. It was for a different application though.

I only saw calibers to 338 and then 50 cal

Brad

Mk42gunner
08-05-2015, 12:56 PM
I think you will have to contact them to figure out just what you want. The way I read the description, they can make just about any twist, not just limited to starting with 14".

Your biggest problem may be that they don't advertise a .458" barrel, although it might fall into their special category.

I am thinking with the bore size you want, that this will be chambered for one of the dangerous game cartridges? If so I think I would use 14" on the fast end of the twist and start with something in the range of 20" or so.

My understanding of the theory of gain twist is the projectile starts with less torque or pressure, then gains RPMs as it goes down the barrel. Not sure if that has ever been conclusively proven or not.

As to barrel fluting? To each his own, but I really don't see the point. It doesn't cut that much weight out, and in a .458 I don't think you will be shooting enough rapid fire to gain any theoretical cooling effect from the increased surface area.

Good luck with it,

Robert

AbitNutz
08-05-2015, 01:12 PM
Everything about it is a kind of "to each his own" thing. I like the way flutes look. Maybe it does help. I have a Ruger No.1 in 450-400 Nitro Express and that barrel gets hot and I do mean hot, after just one or two shots.