PDA

View Full Version : Lyman Moulds

Chubbo
10-08-2005, 05:58 PM
Hi, All:
I am getting ready to load cartridges, to be used in Cap & Ball revolvers, using C&D conversion cylinders. I plan to load the .38Long Colt, and the.45Long Colt cartridges. I have acquired .54LC brass, .38LC brass, .38LC cast bullets, but need to find suatable .45 bullets and moulds for both calibers. The ones that I have read about are as follows, the Lyman #454190, or #454148 for the .45LC, and the Lyman #35873, or #35870, both are hollow base, which is what I need for using in a .36cal. Colt Navy. The .38cal Hollow base bullets are supposed to expand to fit the Colt's larger bbl. I intend to load both these cartridges in black powder, and a good smookless powder, made for this purpose, such as the new IMR Trail Boss powder. Have any of you folks loaded for these cartridges? What kind of bullets do you use? What do you know about Trail Boss? Where would I find any of those Lyman moulds that I mentioned?
Chubbo

beagle
10-12-2005, 01:44 PM
The 454190 Lyman is your plain every day .45 Colt bullet. Shoots very well in my .45 Colt Ruger.

Now, the .38 Long Colt is a different animal. #35870s are pretty hard to find. I have one that casts bullet that are 150 grains ready to load. I'l played with it a bit in the .38 Special and it does all right.

Look on E-Bay for either of them and good luck. You'll find plenty of 454190s.

I might be persuaded to part with the 35870 if you have anything to trade. E-mail me./beagle

Hi, All:
I am getting ready to load cartridges, to be used in Cap & Ball revolvers, using C&D conversion cylinders. I plan to load the .38Long Colt, and the.45Long Colt cartridges. I have acquired .54LC brass, .38LC brass, .38LC cast bullets, but need to find suatable .45 bullets and moulds for both calibers. The ones that I have read about are as follows, the Lyman #454190, or #454148 for the .45LC, and the Lyman #35873, or #35870, both are hollow base, which is what I need for using in a .36cal. Colt Navy. The .38cal Hollow base bullets are supposed to expand to fit the Colt's larger bbl. I intend to load both these cartridges in black powder, and a good smookless powder, made for this purpose, such as the new IMR Trail Boss powder. Have any of you folks loaded for these cartridges? What kind of bullets do you use? What do you know about Trail Boss? Where would I find any of those Lyman moulds that I mentioned?
Chubbo