PDA

View Full Version : Which case prep station

AbitNutz
08-04-2015, 04:22 AM
I've been thinking about one of those motorized case prep stations for a while. I had to run through a bunch of new cases and I thought my arthritis was going to cause an amputation.

All of the big reloading companies make one and they are all similarly priced except for one; Lyman, RCBS, Frankford Arsenal and Hornady. The Hornady is the outlier at over $400.00 but the Hornady also combines a powered case trimmer, something I'm not interested in right now so the choice is between the RCBS, Lyman and Frankford. The RCBS does end up more expensive because it looks like they require you to buy primer pocket unifiers separately...and those are $25.00 each.

So do you have, or have an a opinion about the Lyman, RCBS or Frankford Arsenal?

dromia
08-04-2015, 05:27 AM
I use the Lyman in conjunction with their motorised case trimmer which I have had for a few years before their prep station came out.

I have found the Lyman to be reliable and work well, in addition to the various cutters that come with it it took my RCBS flash hole deburring tool as well.

Went with the Lyman as it was readily available with a god price and I have never had reason to regret it, I only use it three or four times a year but then it does batches of 2000 plus cases

As I have arthritic hands these motorised tools are a god send for me.

lightman
08-04-2015, 07:46 AM
A shooting buddy has the RCBS unit and it works well. I use a cordless drill and an assortment of tools from Sinclair.

tomo
08-04-2015, 08:27 AM
I use the RCBS one. As you notice, there are some differences between RCBS and Lyman.

RCBS fits its height to my desk. if your bench is relatively low, Lyman might be better.
Handling hundreds brasses at once makes our arms tired much if its height does't fit.

And size of RCBS's is smaller than Lyman's. My desk has limited space and I could not take Lyman's.

Good point of Lyman's is its tray-like stage. It can be cleaned with brush easily.
RCBS needs a vacuum cleaner. If you have one, it is not a problem.

I did not know about Frankford Arsenal's. I checked it on youtube.
It looks nice but might be large and slanting. I like vertical.

All above are my personal opinions.

lancem
08-04-2015, 08:44 AM
I have the RCBS, no complaints. I got mine in a package deal so I never shopped around, until I got the deal I never thought about getting one. It is nice when processing a lot of brass.

L Erie Caster
08-04-2015, 09:17 AM
I went with Lyman. works great, no complaints and a better price.

wrench
08-04-2015, 09:47 AM
I always hate it when someone asks, "which one should I get, this, this, or this", and some bonehead always replies, "none of them, get this"
Now I'm going to do it:wink:
I bought the Hornady Trio: http://www.midwayusa.com/product/245424/hornady-lock-n-load-case-prep-trio-110-220-volt
about a year ago, and just love it.
The only problem with it, is that I didn't buy it many years ago. I like it because it's compact, I can just put it in a drawer when I'm not using it. Also relatively inexpensive, quiet, does what I want it to do.

Hawks Feather
08-04-2015, 10:30 AM
A shooting buddy has the RCBS unit and it works well. I use a cordless drill and an assortment of tools from Sinclair.

While not answering your question, I would agree with the above post. While having them all in one station might be handy I like having individual items.

AbitNutz
08-04-2015, 10:59 AM
It looks like the Lyman is on sale at Midsouth for $113.00.

It's interesting that the flash hole uniform cutters are the same on the Lyman for large pistol and large rifle. The RCBS has different ones for large pistol and large rifle? Is there a difference in large pistol and rifle flash holes?

AbitNutz
08-06-2015, 06:55 AM
My order from Midsouth should be here today...I'll play with the Lyman case prep machine and let you know how it works out.

spfd1903
08-06-2015, 11:11 AM
I bought the Frankford Platinum unit a few years ago. Very heavy duty, and easy to adjust for case trimming. Only trims bottle neck cartridges, which means .30 M1 Carbine brass has to be done on a Forster (clamp brass in, trim , unclamp...). Can be placed in a horizontal position, or set on it's end for a vertical mode. Has plenty of torque and doesn't heat up after trimming for several hours.

dragon813gt
08-06-2015, 11:16 AM
I have the Lyman and it works well. I was using their small hand crank version for a long time. It's sped up production quite a bit. I use it in conjunction w/ a powered Forster case trimmer. If I didn't have the Forster previously I would be very tempted to buy the Hornady w/ all the bells as whistles.

Hardcast416taylor
08-06-2015, 02:37 PM
I bought the RCBS unit back about 2000. My arthritis was making it a real chore to de-burr and further prep cases. I wish I had bought it when introduced for the pain it has spared me. It pretty much comes with about all an average loader will need to prep his brass. If he wants to specialize then he can buy extra add-on tools for it. If the cost of the add-ons is too much - you shouldn`t buy the unit in the first place.Robert

AbitNutz
08-06-2015, 03:06 PM
Really? Wow, just because you are content with wasting money doesn't mean everyone else should be.

mac60
08-06-2015, 09:09 PM
I have the RCBS and the Lyman. I much prefer the Lyman.

AbitNutz
08-07-2015, 01:38 AM
I thought they would be fairly comparable...why do you prefer the Lyman?

William Yanda
08-07-2015, 06:49 AM
Is there a difference in large pistol and rifle flash holes?
The diameter is the same, the large rifle primer pockets are slightly deeper.

daboone
08-07-2015, 08:27 AM
I've had the RCBS Trim Mate for 6 years. It's done thousands of 223R, 30/06, 8x57, 7.55x55, 7.62x54R&39, 6.5x50&52, 30/30 and 45/70. I can't compare it to any other units now available but it is a steady reliable work horse. The only maintenance I've done besides cleaning is adding a drop of oil to the 8/32nd adapters which quiets it down. I don't think it is ever any louder than my hand drill. Adapting the Lee case length gauge trimming system totally put case processing in a convenient package and certainly increases production.

mac60
08-07-2015, 10:10 AM
I thought they would be fairly comparable...why do you prefer the Lyman?

They are comparable, but I like the Lyman.
1. The Lyman comes with tools that you have to buy separately with the RCBS.
2. The motor on the Lyman unit is not as loud under load.
3. The design of the Lyman tools is better IMO than RCBS.
4. The Lyman unit allows for easier cleanup.
5. I've already had to replace the power switch on the RCBS unit.
The issue with the motors could just be the individual machines. The above is just my opinion - someone else might feel just the opposite. YMMV.

AbitNutz
08-07-2015, 11:57 AM
They are comparable, but I like the Lyman.
1. The Lyman comes with tools that you have to buy separately with the RCBS.
2. The motor on the Lyman unit is not as loud under load.
3. The design of the Lyman tools is better IMO than RCBS.
4. The Lyman unit allows for easier cleanup.
5. I've already had to replace the power switch on the RCBS unit.
The issue with the motors could just be the individual machines. The above is just my opinion - someone else might feel just the opposite. YMMV.

Mac60, thanks for the run down. It hard to argue with someone who owns and has used both of them.

AbitNutz
08-08-2015, 12:26 AM
Just received the Lyman unit today and had a chance to try it out. I am really surprised at how quiet and smooth the motor is. There's no chatter or vibration at all. The cutters seem to be very sharp as well. The lip at the edge keeps all the brass shavings contained until you sweep them out into the integrated catch cup.

Overall, it's a solid, well made unit that I'm hoping gives good service for a long time.

mac60
08-08-2015, 10:37 PM
Just received the Lyman unit today and had a chance to try it out. I am really surprised at how quiet and smooth the motor is. There's no chatter or vibration at all. The cutters seem to be very sharp as well. The lip at the edge keeps all the brass shavings contained until you sweep them out into the integrated catch cup.

Overall, it's a solid, well made unit that I'm hoping gives good service for a long time.

I like mine! I'd hate to have to do without it. I've only had mine about a year - nary a problem.

Scoutdog99
08-09-2015, 03:30 PM
To me the deciding factor was orientation (vertical vs horizontal) and I went with the Lyman. The Lyman suited my current setup, but I could have used the RCBS if my setup was different. I do a lot of reloading activities inside during the Texas summers and I deemed that the Lyman would be easier to clean up inside. Any/all will be fine, it's just what suits you the best.