PDA

View Full Version : Best product to clean/preserve wooden stocks

osteodoc08
08-03-2015, 08:57 PM
I was rummaging through my dads gun room and came across a few boxes sitting in a dark corner on the far wall that had wooden stocks in them. One of them looked to be for a Winchester lever either 94 or 86. It had a Winchester grip cap and a CCH curved butt. This was wrapped in paper and bubble wrap and was from Macon Gun Stocks. I'm not sure if this was an original he sent off or one that he had made. Wood was plain straight grain but was freshly finished with what looks like a satin finish, likely linseed or similar. The curved butt plate was beautiful. I'll have to take some pictures when my camera is working.

There was also one from the CMP and was obviously a Garand stock and was extremely dirty and dusty and seemed to maybe have mold(?) on it. I was able to rub it with my finger down to nice looking wood. Like it had been sanded and refinished. On the outside of the box it said National Match which I'm guessing had to do with the stock being a "National Match" Garand stock. I stuck it in my car to bring home. There was also another box with what appeared to be a plain 94 stock set.

I was also able to find some old family photos that I can tell there is a resemblance, but do not know who they may be. The pictures were just laying in a box. There was also his military commendation letters. I need to get all that out of the basement because it is very humid and I could even feel the dampness in the papers as I tried to move and read them.

There appears to be more stuff hidden down there. Moms been on me about getting it cleaned/cleared out. Probably over a ton of cast boolits sitting down there in assorted tins, coffee cans, small boxes. Also found some COWW ingots. And an (early 2000's) Tasco Varmint 6-24x42 scope in the box but obviously previously used.

I wish I knew what happened to his Walther PP, Ruger 45 colt and DW 44 mag. (I have a damn good idea but can't prove it.......)

Eh, enough rambling. Just need a suggestion for the wood.

Outpost75
08-04-2015, 12:24 PM
You can buy this product from Brownell's and it works great as a deep cleaner, as well as to restore worn finish or as a primary finish on new stocks.

http://www.fairtrimmers.com/

hornady308
08-04-2015, 07:06 PM
I use lemon oil on all my stocks to keep them from drying out and cracking. It also helps with cleaning.

Virginia John
08-04-2015, 07:16 PM
Lemon Oil is woods best friend.

osteodoc08
08-04-2015, 09:29 PM
Ok. Thanks guys. I think I've got some lemon oil sitting around. I'll use it to revive the stock. It just has a "funk" on it.

Idaho Sharpshooter
08-05-2015, 02:34 PM
Does your Father know you have been pillaging his stash?

osteodoc08
08-05-2015, 08:52 PM
Does your Father know you have been pillaging his stash?

Considering the other options, I'm sure he's smiling down on my just fine. :bigsmyl2:

Blackwater
08-06-2015, 01:18 PM
Has anyone ever heard of using saddle soap to clean crud off a stock before? Somewhere along the way, I heard of it but have never tried it. Hadn't even thought about it until this thread came up, and just thought I'd ask if anyone's ever heard of it before? IIRC, they used saddle soap and water, and just scrubbed it with a terry cloth wash cloth, and then let it dry for several days before trying to sand and refinish it. Can't rely on my memory due to my CRS disease, and it's probably been a couple of decades ago, so that's a factor too, but somewhere along the way, someone told me about this, and I think I remember being favorably impressed with the results. As always, it depends on just exactly what kind of crud the wood collects, and trial and error is really the only way to attack these things, it seems. There's nothing in saddle soap that would pose a problem for an oil finish, I don't think, but I don't know if it has silicone or teflon in it, which might make it unsuitable to be used if some of the spray on finishes are used. Just curious if anyone else has heard of this?

pietro
08-06-2015, 01:37 PM

Howard's Feed 'N Wax, @ any good furniture or home-improvement store (HomeCheapo, Lowe's, etc) - just follow the directions on the bottle.

http://warehousepaintsupply.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/howard-feed-n-wax-300x300.jpg

Wayne Smith
08-07-2015, 05:41 PM
If the cost is anything like the riteup on the stuff from Brownells I'm afraid to look. There are two oil finishes that completely polemerize (harden) in the wood. These are Tung oil and Walnut oil. All the rest stay soft. That's great for wooden patio furniture but not for stocks. I use Tung oil (raw, bought from Woodcraft and thinned with mineral spirits) first sanded in to fill the pores and then rubbed in on raw or sanded wood. I would use mineral spirits on the stocks you were speaking of to see if they are just dirty or raw wood under. If you want more information PM me.

David2011
08-08-2015, 09:23 PM
One gunsmith I know uses K2R spot remover to clean old wood. He has restored a collection of old pump .22 rifles that are beautiful. He allows up to a year of repeated applications and removals of K2R to get all of the old oils and sweat out of the wood and refinished them with boiled linseed oil. He polishes the metal to 500 grit and they look better than new. If anything, a little too high polish but they're beautiful.

David