PDA

View Full Version : Herters Super Model 9 press

richhodg66
08-03-2015, 06:57 PM
I picked this up a while back and have since gotten it cleaned up and working. It does NOT use standard Herters shell holders, the flange or whatever on the bottom of those shell holders is too big to fit in the hole. It came with a shell holder that fits for 12 gauge shotgun shells and the stem on it seems about the diameter of one of the shell holders designed for the Trueline Jr. and the divot for the set screw that holds it in place looks similar, but I don't have one handy to try.

Did Herters ever use a similar shell holder to the Trueline Jr.? When I look for Herter's shell holders, they all have that large flange or are screw in, neither seems to be what this press was made to use.

There's a picture of the press in question at this link, looks like a copy of the old Dunbar press;

http://shootingwithhobie.blogspot.com/2011/09/dunbar-press.html

Shooter6br
08-03-2015, 07:02 PM
I got shell adapter from C-H ?

LUBEDUDE
08-03-2015, 07:27 PM
These are awesome presses.

Don't know what the connection was to Dunbar or if it was just a knock off after the patent ran out. Maybe Pressman can tell us. I believe that Herters only made them for a few years? 2?? Pressman?

They take standard H-frame shell holders or more commonly known as Hollywood type. As Shooter said above, you can get them from CH4D. Tracvision carries the adaptor for clip on type, but as original Hollywood OEM.

Show us your final outcome.

Here's mine.

http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/08/03/1f963e5cb46d4e1f90fdef12e4a41eb5.jpg

LUBEDUDE
08-03-2015, 08:00 PM
For those of you that happened to look at the article referrenced in the OP.

There was mention of the Modern Bond Model D press. One that I would call rare. Some may not agree.

It was made from 1935-1938.

Here is an actual photo of one. It is a really cool press and surprisingly small!

http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/08/03/fba8737f254b174c63a617244e4d3fd1.jpg

richhodg66
08-03-2015, 08:36 PM
These are awesome presses.

Don't know what the connection was to Dunbar or if it was just a knock off after the patent ran out. Maybe Pressman can tell us. I believe that Herters only made them for a few years? 2?? Pressman?

They take standard H-frame shell holders or more commonly known as Hollywood type. As Shooter said above, you can get them from CH4D. Tracvision carries the adaptor for clip on type, but as original Hollywood OEM.

Show us your final outcome.

Here's mine.

http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/08/03/1f963e5cb46d4e1f90fdef12e4a41eb5.jpg

Is that the original color? Mine is painted a dark brown. I found it in a box of stuff, covered with rust, for $40 and a set of Lachmiller 12 gauge dies to go with it. Some Liquid Wrench and Evaporust later and she seems to work well, though I've never loaded any ammo on it yet.

LUBEDUDE
08-03-2015, 11:18 PM
Rich- as far as I know Funky Brown was the original color. I liked this Hammertone Bronze better.

richhodg66
08-03-2015, 11:59 PM
It does look good. Was the base the only part that was painted? Seems like the bars where the dies screw in and that the shell holder goes in should be too (they are not on mine).

LUBEDUDE
08-04-2015, 01:50 AM
Mine did not look as if they were ever painted. And my Dunbar is the same way.

richhodg66
08-04-2015, 07:40 AM
OK, thanks. Think I'll just leave mine alone for now, might paint it later.

I did find a shell holder for .30-06 head size and it should be on its way. Once here, I'll load some ammo with it.

LUBEDUDE
08-04-2015, 02:01 PM
Hope you got two of them!

Pressman
08-08-2015, 07:25 AM
Near as I can tell they were painted black, or red. Mine is red but that don't mean anything. The paint is mostly missing and really old so it looks original. But it also had grease zerks rather oil holes for the main shaft. I have never seen one that had decent paint, all are rough looking. Early Dunbar's have good paint that stood up over time.

They sort of look like a Dunbar, and Herter's and Dunbar were selling the same powder measure at the same time, but there are several variations of the powder measure that Herter's sold that Dunbar did not. So there could have been a connection, or just a lot of coincidences.

Anyway Herter's dropped the Model 9 after about a year and went to the Model 3, Lachmiller copy.

Ken

richhodg66
08-12-2015, 12:36 AM
Interesting. Any idea how many were produced?

I'm pretty sure the brown paint on mine is original. Also, as I mentioned, mine was in a box with some Lachmiller 12 gauge dies and the former owner had made another bar where the dies screw in that was cut for those bigger dies, so I guess I got two for the price of one.

When that shell holder gets in, I'm gonna make some ammo with mine.

Grasslander
09-25-2015, 05:43 PM
Here is a pic of mine after a short bath in Dawn. It may not show in the photo, but it is a sort of red brick color. Before I soaked it, it was just black from old oil and grease, I didn't know what color it was...lol
The way it looks now, I'm just about positive this is the factory color. I will soak it overnight, give it another scrub and see what we have.

gwpercle
09-25-2015, 05:54 PM
Check with CH4D, they may have an adapter to allow use of standard snap in shell holders.
They had adapters for an old Eagle and Lyman Turret that got me using them again.
Nice people to deal with and I like their dies .
And that's a sweet looking press, I'm a sucker for older equipment too . Bought a Lyman All American Turret at a flea market just because it was looking so lost , dirty, unloved and unused.
Gary

Grasslander
09-29-2015, 05:31 AM
I got my Model 9 apart, but have ran into a snag.

Where the guide bars go into the frame, there is a copper shim that tightens up the fit between the bars and the hole they sit in. The copper ( or brass ) shim is really thin. About like a sheet of paper.

When I took them out they fell to pieces.

Does anyone know where to find a couple of these shims? Or are they something you can make yourself.

They are required to make the shafts sit securely into the frame.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sorry about that....did a little Google searching and found shim material ....now to figure out what size to order
Thanks anyway

wv109323
05-29-2019, 05:36 PM
Thanks for sharing. I grew up in the area and never knew they existed.