PDA

View Full Version : What classic style 22 rifles should i consider?

Bazoo
08-03-2015, 06:21 PM
I lost most of my guns in a house fire a while back. So now im starting to think about a 22 rifle. Id like something on the traditional side. I am thinking, maybe a ruger 10/22 or a marlin 60. Id love a marlin 39 but I probably wont be able to find one local, or be able to afford one. I had a remington 41 targetmaster for a spell and really liked it. I'd like a marlin 882, I think is the model, bolt action with walnut stock. I wouldnt mind a henry frontier model either.

So what does everyone else use or like, that has a traditional feel and look to it?

Addendum; See post 68 for the rifle I ended up finding.

N4AUD
08-03-2015, 06:24 PM
I've always wanted a .22 pump with an octagon barrel.

country gent
08-03-2015, 07:11 PM
One thing to do is watch the used racks in the Local gun shops and also Pawn shops. Also look at gun broker, guns america and other internet aution type sites, not just at the open but look at closed auctions for what you may be interested in. Closed autions give an idea of what the item actually brought. Winchester model 75s both sporters and target models , model 52s, all the various pumps. Remingtons line up of rimfires. Rugers 77/22 and 10-22 all can be fine choices. You first need to decide what you want in a rifle

Hawks Feather
08-03-2015, 08:04 PM
I have a Ruger 77/22 that I replaced the barrel on (very simple to do) and it will hit aspirins all day long. I also have a Ruger 10/22 that I really enjoy shooting. There are so many after market replacement parts for the 77/22 that you can pretty much replace everything but the action with the serial number. If you are looking for quick shots consider the 10/22, if not look at the 77/22.

osteodoc08
08-03-2015, 08:10 PM
A Winchester 52 has always been on my want list. Add in a 9422 or a 39a and I'd be set. If wanting a semi auto, a Marlin 60 or Ruger 10/22.

GhostHawk
08-03-2015, 08:16 PM
Hard to beat a Ruger 10/22 for most practical shooting. You can do pretty much whatever you like with one. Custom barrels, stocks, triggers, etc.

I got mine way back in the early 70's and have not done much to it. I did put in the extended mag release, it sticks down instead of flat.
No more inverting the gun, trying to jab a thumb in there and pull up on the mag while doing it. Bump it with a knuckle right side up, other hand below the mag to catch it when it drops. Also modified my bolt hold open so that once a new mag is inserted you can just pull the action back and release it and it releases the bolt hold open device. Again, no more fiddling.

For years I had a Bushnell 3x9x40 on it, which finally got old and funky. Been considering a couple of Red Dot sights I have.

I also have one of the old Winchester pump gallery guns, oct barrel, slide action, mine shoots .22 shorts only. Those are not easy nor cheap to come by, but they have a certain grace all their own.145910

wv109323
08-03-2015, 11:43 PM
I like the old Remington 510,511 or 512 rifles. The Ruger American is now with a wood stock. They are supposed to be tack drivers and economical. For money and accuracy the CZ bolt actions are tough to beat.

MBTcustom
08-03-2015, 11:51 PM
I have owned, used, and repaired most of the 22 rifles that were made in the last century. My list of good ones is short:
Marlin 39A
CZ 452
Winchester 290 (also the 52, 75.........darn it, if it says Winchester, it's just all that and a bag of chips! Never saw a bad one)
Ruger's are good, but they're about as sleek and handsome as an ACME brick, and accuracy is hit or miss.

My favorite 22 to date is a Remington Speedmaster. It will eat and cycle anything including CCI 22 Quiet. It's got all the sweetness of the Nylon66 but it's built with quality. I simply love that rifle. Best shot I ever made on a squirrel was with a Speedmaster. 75 yard head shot with iron sights. Ammo was Dynamit Nobel LR.

Mk42gunner
08-04-2015, 01:57 AM
A .22 rifle to me is pretty subjective, what feels good to me might not feel good to you. I don't normally like plastic on guns, but the Remington Nylon 66 is an exception; finding one that is affordable is another thing.

Hands down the most accurate field grade .22's I can remember shooting were old Mossbergs, some of them had a definite Buck Rogers raygun look, but they were accurate.

What I would look for, grouped by action type:

Bolt action single shot: Remington Model 41 or Winchester Model 67. Unfortunately none I have ever seen were grooved for scope mounting, which is almost a necessity for me now.

Bolt action repeater: CZ452, various Marlins. I do like an under barrel mag tube on this type of rifle, one less thing to lose.

Semi-auto: Marlin Model 60 or Winchester Model 190/290. The Marlins I have shot have all outperformed stock Ruger 10-22's. If you want to bolt parts on, the Ruger can be made to shoot accurately, but it takes effort in my experience.

Pumps: Winchester or Remington, all of the others I have had were either not reliable or not accurate enough.

Lever action: Marlin Model 39a, Winchester 94-22, or Ithaca Model 72 (precursor to the Henry, not as much plastic).

Classic singleshot: Remington Rolling Block No2 or 4 or Winchester Low wall.

Good Luck,

Robert

starmac
08-04-2015, 02:55 AM
If you are a fan of lever actions, give the henry a look, lots of people look down on them, but most that own one likes them.
A few years ago, I had decided a 39 or 94 just wasn't in the cards foor me, so decided on a henry. I got very, no extremely lucky and picked up a 39 for just a little less than half of a new henry.
I have also shot and liked the brown levers, bl22 I belive it is.

Electric88
08-04-2015, 06:46 AM
One thing to do is watch the used racks in the Local gun shops and also Pawn shops. Also look at gun broker, guns america and other internet aution type sites, not just at the open but look at closed auctions for what you may be interested in. Closed autions give an idea of what the item actually brought. Winchester model 75s both sporters and target models , model 52s, all the various pumps. Remingtons line up of rimfires. Rugers 77/22 and 10-22 all can be fine choices. You first need to decide what you want in a rifle

^^ This. I've picked up more guns than I would care to admit to my wife by doing this. I have a Ruger 10/22 that I've done a little work to and it shoots like a dream. I also picked up a Marlin 981t (bolt action) that I use for the under-powered loads that I don't think the Ruger would cycle. I also intend to teach my children to shoot on the bolt action first one day, before letting them move up to a semi-auto. I have heard good things about Marlin model 60s, so maybe I'll buy it one day as a gift for my son (or daughter). :D

wcp4570
08-04-2015, 09:19 AM
If you liked the Remington 41 you would like all the Remington 500 series rifles. Remington 510, 511, 512, 513 or a 550-1 all are real classics in my book. I have a 10/22 and savage17hmr but they never make it out of the safe. I shoot my 510 and 550-1 the most. I looked at an old 511 at a LGS last weekend that was made in 1947 but passed on it because someone had drilled it for a side mount. I have no doubt it would have been a good shooter.

wcp

sparky45
08-04-2015, 10:21 AM
My favorite, up until I acquired a "new" .22 was my BL22, really love that short swing with the lever. Now, I'm enamored with a remy that I bought off Gunbroker that was a model I had as a young lad. Rem 550 with the "floating chamber". After a complete and thorough takedown and scrubbing, and I do mean scrubbing (especially the chamber) she cycles anything and everything I've run through her including mixing LR and shorts in the same loading. She's 100% and shoots much better than I can. Probably going to sell the BL22 and see if I can find another 550.

dragon813gt
08-04-2015, 10:45 AM
For bolt action a CZ 452. They're accurate right out of the box. For a semi I like 10/22s. But I would build one w/ Volquartsen parts instead if buying one from Ruger. I loathe 22 lever actions. I can't stand loading a tube magazine so I don't own any. There are a lot models to choose from.

sparky45
08-04-2015, 04:13 PM
Loading that tube magazine is half the charm of any lever or most semi autos.

Avery Arms
08-04-2015, 08:33 PM
For the money CZ rifles are hard to beat and the CZ452 is one of my favorite low cost .22 rifles, both of my 452's love the wolf match target and will outshoot most stock rifles rimfire or centerfire.

I'm not a big fan of Ruger 10/22 many people love them for a "blank canvas" to build whatever custom gun they want to dump money into but I think a factory rifle should be functional out of the box and Rugers are really lacking bad trigger, sights, bolt catch, magazine catch, takedown screw works loose, magazines are difficult to clean and many just won't shoot accurately until they have been rebarreled.

Marlin 60's are also made very cheaply but they are also priced low and I have found them to be more accurate, reliable and user friendly than the stock 1022's.

If you are OK with a bolt gun the CZ452 (trainer, deluxe or American) is tops followed by Marlin and Savage.

Petrol & Powder
08-04-2015, 09:35 PM
WOW, Lot of good options here.

OK, for a semi-auto I have to go with the Ruger 10/22, there just isn't a better substitute but the Marlin 60 and Remington Nylon 66 come close in terms of reliability.

Bolt action gets a little tougher. The CZ's are really hard to beat for the money. The Ruger 77/22 is a great rifle. The best all-around bolt action .22 I ever had was a Remington 541T with a standard weight barrel. Traded that for a 541 with a heavy barrel and wished I hadn't. I've seen some great Winchester Model 52's as well.

Lever action, Find a good Marlin 39A and stop looking.

TCFAN
08-04-2015, 10:31 PM
This is my favorite 22RF rifle. It is a Savage Anschutz model 54 sporter.Bought it new in 1968 for 125.00 dollars. Used ones now might run you a bit more.

http://i755.photobucket.com/albums/xx200/TCintheOzarks/DSCN0204.jpg (http://s755.photobucket.com/user/TCintheOzarks/media/DSCN0204.jpg.html)

retread
08-04-2015, 11:08 PM
My father bought me a Winchester Model 61 in 1957. It is with me today. It is fine classic 22.

Bongo
08-04-2015, 11:13 PM
A battery is not complete without at least one good 22 rifle. I have owned a couple Ruger 10/22's and now own a deluxe version that I like a lot. The only thing I don't like about the model 10/22 is the weight. They are a little too light for my taste. I recently acquired a 1953 model Marlin 39A that is in great condition. I had a Golden 39A years ago and kicked myself daily for trading it clear up to the day I got hold of this gem. It is not tapped for a scope and I wouldn't dare. I plan on putting a receiver peep and fiber optic front on it. If I had to buy new, I like the All American. I didn't know it was available with wood until I read this post. Wood is my preference. I had a Marlin 882 several years ago that killed every squirrel that I pointed at with it. Very accurate. Sorry to hear about the fire. That's one of my big fears. Lots of pleasant memories in my gun safe.

Petrol & Powder
08-04-2015, 11:18 PM
"A battery is not complete without at least one good 22 rifle........"

I could not agree more!!! Every shooter should have at least one good .22 rimfire rifle. My advice is to find a good one and never let go of it.

Bazoo
08-05-2015, 08:55 PM
There are a few models im not familiar with there, that i'll definitely have to check out. I am in a way leaning towards the ruger 10/22. Not because i want to mod it out, but because it would suffice for self defense for a while for my wife with those 25 round magazines. I like a few things about the model. But I prefer the feel of other models. I suppose it'll depend on what I come across when im looking, what i end up with. One advantage that the ruger has is the ability to easily scope it. While i prefer irons for most shooting, my wife has a hard time as she's left eye dominate. A scope, or red dot helps her a lot.

Bazoo
08-05-2015, 09:04 PM
Ive owned several of the henry rifles. First a golden boy. It was very accurate and a solid gun. The comb was too low for me to be comfortable at all. All the golden boys i've tried were the same unfortunately. I've owned both a standard 22 rifle and a carbine henry as well. Both were nice, handy little guns, but I encountered poor accuracy with both. Especially as the rifle heats up, the groups opened up. I was getting 2 or 3 inch groups at 25 yards with the rifle having a hot barrel. Im used to pinpoint accuracy with a 22 at 25 yards.

Several of the 22's ive owned would hit empty casings at 25. The first model 41 targetmaster, i could do it with irons, using support. But not from a table. Course I would have to be able to see the casing at that distance, normally with a dark background. That rifle would do it with federal bulk.

SWMO1
08-05-2015, 10:11 PM
Remington 40X

RP
08-05-2015, 11:49 PM
I saw you were told to keep checking the used racks at the gun store. Just a warning you may keep bring home guns its a nasty habit they call out to you and well its addicting. I hunted a long time for my pump checking the shelf one to two times a month it took a few years to find on out of the several shops I stop in. Over that time frame it seemed like I would find a deal I could not pass up on or another rifle or pistol that called to me to be saved from the rack. About two weeks ago I went to my normal gun shop for a drink and candy bar he sells at cost and it happened again. I only paid 1.10 for a can drink and candy bar but my bill was over 200.00 bucks I now own a 22 Quackenbush. You been warned :Fire:

Bazoo
08-06-2015, 02:25 PM
I most likely will acquired several 22's. My choice for 22 pistol though will be a ruger single six, new model 5.5 inch barrel.

kywilber
08-06-2015, 02:38 PM
A Winchester 52 has always been on my want list. Add in a 9422 or a 39a and I'd be set. If wanting a semi auto, a Marlin 60 or Ruger 10/22.
I love my 52 and my 68. Also have a 10/22 for just fun

Bodydoc447
08-06-2015, 11:50 PM
Ruger American rimfire. Now with a wood stock for those of us who prefer wood to synthetic. I have one in 17 HMR and am going to pick up my .22 LR with wood stock tomorrow. My Dad has one with the synthetic stock and he sure enjoys it for keeping the gophers in check. It rides around with him in the Polaris about everywhere.

Doc

Ithaca Gunner
08-07-2015, 12:05 PM
146123 146124About as classy as you can make a Ruger 10/22.

williamwaco
08-07-2015, 12:14 PM
I am pretty sure the 10-22 is the most popular .22 rifle on the planet.

A well deserved reputation.

I have shot many of them. They are TOP NOTCH. I never actually owned one because I too like the classic styles.

I do not consider the 10-22 a classic. ( Maybe I am just to old to "Get It")

There are many fine examples of classic .22 mentioned above. Every thing I really like has already been listed so I will not pile on.

Clay M
08-07-2015, 04:29 PM
I grew up shooting my dad's old Winchester 62 pump. In later years I bough a second one.
To me they are nice squirrel rifles.

As far as a Classic bolt gun ,I like my Winchester Model 52 sporter.

Bazoo
08-07-2015, 04:55 PM
I've owned 3 10/22s, all of them had failure to eject problems until i modified the extractor with a sharper hook angle. I dont know how they got such a good reputation, as the ones i've had would not function right out of the box. 2 of them were about 20 years ago, and the last was just before the fire. All of them were purchased new. I just modified the extractor to match what those after market ones looked like.

Dont get me wrong, its a good gun, provided this problem is remedied, but right out of the box, its not been my experience. I do prefer a 10/22 that isnt modified with new stocks and barrels though.

Clay M
08-07-2015, 07:12 PM
On a silly side note, Squirrels are my favorite wild game meat beside Elk.
I separate the young ones from the old, and I usually put them in a Crock Pot overnight.I love squirrel dumplings with gravy. Reminds me of when I was a kid. I could always tell if I killed the squirrel in a pine grove or an oak grove.
Squirrel dumplings and quince preserves. That is it. You can keep your caviar.
Like a great Telecaster with a Fender amp. I LOVE IT!

Bazoo
08-07-2015, 07:46 PM
I like squirrel meat myself. fried or squirrel soup is tasty also.

rollmyown
08-07-2015, 08:06 PM
Another vote for a model 62 or 62A. They don't make em like that anymore. The only downside is they're not scopeable so if your eyes aren't great that might be a problem.

N4AUD
08-07-2015, 08:16 PM
You won't go wrong with a 10/22, I've had one for decades and it's never missed a beat. We got one for my granddaughter on her sixth birthday too, with a pink stock! She's going on seven now an she's a little Annie Oakley with it. When I was a teenager, a neighbor died in a riding mower accident, and his widow sold me his Winchester 190. I put thousands of rounds through that little gun, and I wish I had never traded it off. I'd save pennies and dimes and have to get my mother to buy me a brick of shells for it, and sometimes she would spring for a brick of 500. I could shoot out behind the house, and that's where I really learned to shoot well. I practiced breath and trigger control until it came naturally to me. I wish .22 ammo would "normalize" and become more available and cheap again. A kid couldn't afford to do what I did then nowadays, and that's a real shame.

Clay M
08-07-2015, 08:19 PM
Another vote for a model 62 or 62A. They don't make em like that anymore. The only downside is they're not scopeable so if your eyes aren't great that might be a problem.

I do find that sad. My eyes just won't work well with the barrel sights anymore. I remember my dad had the same problem. In fact he had a bad right eye ,so he shot left handed. I will try some of the aperture discs on my glasses,as I don't want to give up shooting my 62's.I called them the squirrel mops.
My dad could hit a penny in the air consistently with the old 62.He was also a master hunter.
I remember one of the farm workers called BS on it. He told my dad he would throw a half dollar in the air. Needless to say he never saw the half dollar again.
My father was the best. He was a genius when it came to hunting,and he always had a strick code of honor. We never violate any of the game laws. When I killed my two deer, he always made my quit hunting.I would say but dad, and he would say,no son .You have killed your limit.
Likewise , I have a code of ethics when it comes to hunting. I can always hear my dad say, leave some for someone else.

My dad was a simple man. He hunted with the 62 win, and Marlin O/U 20 ga shotgun and a Marlin 336 .44 mag rifle.That and a Model 70 featherweight .243 win. He never really needed anything else.

The 62 win reminds me of my father. It has very little finish ,but still shoots great. We always used .22 shorts for squirrels. He said ,no need for the LR's which cost a few cents more.

He was old school all the way, and very deadly with a rifle.

I received most of my formal training on a ROTC rifle team.Our school had national championship teams for many years. I believe my instructor was the best. The old gunny sergeant from the Korean war. We used the Rem 40XB and the Win 52D. I truly wish I still had my old rifle I used on the team.

LUCKYDAWG13
08-07-2015, 08:47 PM
CZ 455 is a tack driver i too had a house fire 7 years ago and we lost just about everything. the CZ was one of first rifles that i picked up
didn't look back once money well spent

Hammerhead
08-07-2015, 10:03 PM
I've had a 10/22 for many years, but it hardly feels like a classic. It is functional, but can also be very finicky when it comes to accuracy. The spray painted alloy parts can be disappointing. It's very thick in the forend, looks pregnant.

For classic looks and feel with solid accuracy it's hard to beat a CZ 452 bolt gun. I have the 452 Scout in .22lr and the 452 Lux in .22 mag. The Lux has the look and feel of a classic big game gun, beautiful walnut, long skinny barrel and the best open sights ever put on a rimfire. The Scout is a mini classic in it's own right. Very accurate for such a tiny gun.

shooter2
08-08-2015, 07:04 AM
Ditto on the Remington 500 series (510, 511, 512 and 513T). I recently gave my son a 512 that I had for more years than I can remember and it still shoots better than I do. I kept the 513T. Any gun that comes from Anshutz is a keeper. Likewise CZ. My most accurate .22 is a Suhl 150 std that shoots very small one hole groups with match ammo, i.e., .0XX". One of my favorites is a .22 short Visible Loader restored by a local gunsmith. Gotta love the .22 rifle. Buy all you can afford and enjoy the trip.

Petrol & Powder
08-08-2015, 08:44 AM
I'm surprised to hear about the OP's problems with the 10/22. I guess any manufacturer can let a bad unit out the door but I've always found the 10/22 to be one of the most reliable .22 semi-auto rimfires made. I've shot dozens of them and probably owned 4-5 over the years, never had one moment of trouble. The old Marlin 60's and Remington Nylon 66's come very close to matching the 10/22 and some would say the Nylon 66 can take more neglect & abuse. The Browning .22 is a neat little rifle but they are generally priced beyond what they're worth. I've shot a couple over the years and really liked them but never could justify the expense over a 10/22.

The 77/22 is a decent bolt action and a good candidate for a suppressor as well due to the method used to attach the barrel to the receiver (similar to the 10/22 but on a bolt action)

Some of the CZ bolt actions are incredibly accurate guns. I know a guy that has a CZ and an Anschutz match rifle and the CZ will hold its own with the Anschutz.

Everyone should have at least one good .22 rimfire rifle. Even with the cost of .22 ammunition these days it is still a very useful tool. If I was confined to one .22 rifle it would be a good quality bolt action. Simple, reliable, durable, accurate, multiple shots available, easy to maintain and extremely useful.

Bazoo
08-08-2015, 02:06 PM
My failure to eject problems were maybe 1 in 50 or so, maybe more, or less depending on the rifle. All three did it. I asked the gunsmith about it, he said it was pretty common with the newer 10/22s. He said a new extractor and extra power extractor spring would fix it. I didnt change the spring, but i did change the extractor hook angle. I did go into the chamber with some scotchbrite pad and then a dab of polish with the last rifle, which also helped. Now, i borrowed an old 10/22 once from someone that wanted to trade it to me for another rifle, and it worked without incident if i recall correctly. Most of the time back then i shot federal bulk, but i shot a little of anything i could get. blazer, federal bulk, federal lightning, remington bulk, golden bullets, winchester bulk, winchester wildcat. Probably some others. I cant remember exactly which ammo was giving me trouble, but it most likely was federal as thats what i prefer in 22. The new one i had, was a mix of various stuff as thats all i could find. All with ruger factory mags however.

atr
08-08-2015, 04:40 PM
Mossberg 40B

Frank46
08-15-2015, 11:44 PM
Have a win 52B made in 1946, a BSA model 12 and another BSA takedown that has a barrel full threaded and screwed into the receiver like a regular 22 rifle. The BSA martini single shots are a lot of fun and very accurate. A remingtom 513T and last but not least is a H&R model 12 made by them for uncle sam. Bought it from the CMP for $300 came with the redfield Palma rear sight and an olympic front sight with a bag of inserts. Frank

michaelcj
08-16-2015, 01:43 PM
Marlin 39A for lever. Use to be the finest lever .22…. Mine is 1946 and I haven't had any experience with the newer ones.
For bolt guns… my choice is Winchester in a 69A or a 75 [1939 69A in my case]
I have granddad's 1890 [1896] in .22WRF that is still a strong shooter.

gnoahhh
08-17-2015, 11:44 AM
My favorite .22s are my Winchester 52 Pre-A (1935) and my M2 Springfield (1930). My BSA 12/15 Martini is a close second. Any of the three can be counted on for sub-½" groups at 50 yards. For a backyard plinking session though I usually reach for the Remington 12C shucker, or the Stevens 87 autoloader. I'm one of those rare individuals that never quite warmed up to the 10/22. No good reason, just me.

I particularly like the weight-forward balance of my 52 and Martini. Those heavy-ish 28" barrels are on them for a reason. Kind of a pain for a day in the woods, but when shouldered, they lay right in there. Perfect, to me, for off hand target shooting.

JeffG
08-17-2015, 10:10 PM
I have a Model 61 too, 1959 vintage, same year I was born. It think it came to me when I was 8-9 years old. Came to me from my grandfather. I love that rifle.

My father bought me a Winchester Model 61 in 1957. It is with me today. It is fine classic 22.

Forrest r
08-18-2015, 08:11 AM
This is my favorite 22RF rifle. It is a Savage Anschutz model 54 sporter.Bought it new in 1968 for 125.00 dollars. Used ones now might run you a bit more.

http://i755.photobucket.com/albums/xx200/TCintheOzarks/DSCN0204.jpg (http://s755.photobucket.com/user/TCintheOzarks/media/DSCN0204.jpg.html)

Excellent rifle!!! I tend to like the "sporter" models that were born from the 22 target rifles. The 54 sporter is an excellent example, anschutz was giving the 40x & 52's all they could handle and in 1963 started going after the winchester 52 sporters. A 1st year/1963 anschutz 54 sporter.

http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t242/forrestr-photo/54sporter.jpg (http://s162.photobucket.com/user/forrestr-photo/media/54sporter.jpg.html)
If I like a centerfire model/design then I look for the 22lr/rimfire version of that rifle. The rimfire version is made with the same excellent quality materials and accuracy standards. It's hard not to like mausers, a 1935 mauser target rifle and a new unfired still cosmolined mas 45 made by mauser.

http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t242/forrestr-photo/mausers.jpg (http://s162.photobucket.com/user/forrestr-photo/media/mausers.jpg.html)

If you like military rifles then the springfield m1922 is hard to beat. That mauser target rifle pictured above went head to head in national/international competitions for years with the winchester 52's and the springfield m1922's.

http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t242/forrestr-photo/m1922.jpg (http://s162.photobucket.com/user/forrestr-photo/media/m1922.jpg.html)

Remington made sporter models of all there target rifles starting with the 513-t. Here's the rare sporter example of the the 5teen series, a 513-s.

http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t242/forrestr-photo/513-s.jpg (http://s162.photobucket.com/user/forrestr-photo/media/513-s.jpg.html)

Remington also came out with a 540-series rifle with match chambers and the fastest lock time of any rimfire they ever produced. They also made a sporter version of the 541-series, the 541-s. A couple of them, they're excellent squirrel rifles that also can easily double for hunter silhouette. One is iron sighted for squirrel and the other has a 20x scope for silhouettes.

http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t242/forrestr-photo/both541s.jpg (http://s162.photobucket.com/user/forrestr-photo/media/both541s.jpg.html)

Another favorite rimfire, a 52-sporter.

http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t242/forrestr-photo/52brepo.jpg (http://s162.photobucket.com/user/forrestr-photo/media/52brepo.jpg.html)

You might consider buying the rimfire version of your favorite centerfire. Their well made and as you can see will last for generations providing repeatable quality range time trip after trip after trip to the range/woods.

A side note:
I'm not bad mouthing 10-22's, own 1 myself. I just don't like the new ones with the plastic trigger and junk parts. Any more when I want a spray and pray 22lr, I like the rimfire inserts or uppers for the ar's. I've shot/owned/used anything from compass lake uppers to ceiner kits, they flat out work.

avogunner
08-28-2015, 06:34 AM
Fine choices have already mentioned but here are mine:
Lever - Marlin 39A
Bolt - Marlin 780 (maybe not the best but Dad gave it to me when I was 13 so I'll never have need for another)
Semi - Ruger 10/22
Single Shot - Ithaca M-49 (9 yrs old - my first "cowboy" gun)

marlin39a
09-02-2015, 06:54 PM
Well I do love the Marlin 39A's, they shoot anything I put in them. Also like the early 10/22's with the walnut stocks.

dragonrider
09-02-2015, 07:11 PM
These are my 22's, three Rugers and a Winchester.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/0603/PaulGauthier/22%20calibers/22s004.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/PaulGauthier/media/22%20calibers/22s004.jpg.html)

TXGunNut
09-02-2015, 10:11 PM
I've picked up and drooled over most of the peep-sighted Winchester 52's and 54's I've seen, can't figure out why one has never followed me home. An old Remington Speedmaster was my first gun, will always be a sentimental favorite. Marlin 39A is a gun I wish I'd bought years ago, prices seem a little silly on them now but what do I know?

Tenbender
09-02-2015, 10:16 PM
Browning T bolt

Ithaca Gunner
09-03-2015, 11:56 AM
Here's my old Winchester 69-A

zarrinvz24
09-03-2015, 12:07 PM
Henry makes a pretty good 22LR lever rifle. Can even get one with the octagonal barrel.

Bazoo
09-04-2015, 01:21 PM
I am thinking about the giving henry another try, as their plentiful. I like the looks and feel of the frontier model. Most likely though im going to try to find a good older gun. I like the feel and balance of a good single shot.

jmorris
09-04-2015, 03:15 PM
I never thought of my 10/22's or marlin semiauto rifles as classics. My first thought were the Brownings.

http://www.browning.com/products/catalog/images/021001m.jpg

opos
09-04-2015, 03:40 PM
First rifle...Winchester model 62A...1948...still in the safe..and no..never been "refinished" (either wood nor metal)...still got the box and hang tag.

Bazoo
09-04-2015, 03:46 PM
Marlins and rugers are classic style to me. The ar15 styled 22's are not, nor is the remington 597.

I like the winchester 62, but finding one in good mechanical shape is difficult.

jmorris
09-04-2015, 06:41 PM
Marlins and rugers are classic style to me.

In that case I don't think you could get much more affordable than a model 60. The one I have was less than $70 new from Kmart back when I bought it as a "beater". They are still a lot cheaper than 10/22's and now that the new 10/22's have plastic to replace aluminum parts of the older rifles, the 60 would feel a little more "classic" too.

Both of the above came out during the '60's where the SA-22 was the first production semiauto .22 introduced in 1914, hard to get more classic than that.

A design that is also perfect for both right and left hand shooters. As long as they don't wear long sleeve shirts, no magazine to drop and you don't have to put you hand over the muzzle to fill the tube.

Bazoo
09-04-2015, 07:56 PM
One thing i do consider, is the gun must be made after 1932 so that it will handle a high speed 22lr cartridges.

jmorris
09-05-2015, 10:02 AM
If it is chambered in .22 lr it will handle whatever you can buy.

Bazoo
09-05-2015, 07:29 PM
If it is chambered in .22 lr it will handle whatever you can buy. Not exactly. 22 lr was standard velocity until 1932, then it started being offered in high velocity.

If you shoot a steady diet of high velocity through some old 22's, , you'll end up wearing parts because they werent made to handle it. I know specifically this applies to a marlin 1897 or 39. Now, i dont know from personal experience, but from the marlin board, and from the local gunsmith. I checked into because i am interested in the history of the 22, and i at want a vintage 1897.

It may be that it only applies to this model, or that it is total bunk. I do believe the local smith though. He said if you replace the bolt with a post 32 made bolt it would allow you to shoot high velocity ammo in the older marlins.

richhodg66
09-05-2015, 08:28 PM
This is a model 60 I picked up a while back, mainly because it's so pretty. Must have been a Deluxe variant because it has one nice piece of walnut on it, gold plated trigger and really nice, deep blue. Don't think Marling makes them like it anymore.

Personally, I own a Marlin 39A and a Winchester 72A that I think are going to fulfill my needs for a .22 rifle forever. I tend to think of a downloaded .22 Hornet as a better option nowadays.

gnoahhh
09-08-2015, 11:25 AM
Not exactly. 22 lr was standard velocity until 1932, then it started being offered in high velocity.

If you shoot a steady diet of high velocity through some old 22's, , you'll end up wearing parts because they werent made to handle it. I know specifically this applies to a marlin 1897 or 39. Now, i dont know from personal experience, but from the marlin board, and from the local gunsmith. I checked into because i am interested in the history of the 22, and i at want a vintage 1897.

It may be that it only applies to this model, or that it is total bunk. I do believe the local smith though. He said if you replace the bolt with a post 32 made bolt it would allow you to shoot high velocity ammo in the older marlins.

The same is true of Colt Woodsmans. HS ammo fired in an early one will batter the bolt stop into submission. Colt went so far as to offer upgrades after the introduction of HS ammo. I suspect these are but a couple of examples. Also, I personally wouldn't shoot HS ammo in any of those old rickety Stevens Visible Loaders, or any old repeater or single shot made with soft steel or iron frames.

Vern Humphrey
09-12-2015, 04:45 PM
I have a bunch:

Stevens #26 Crackshot (cost about $1.50 in 1915)
Stevens Favorite made about 1895. Has a tang sight
Marlin 25Y
Springfield M1922 MK 2
Remington 541X (DCM rifle)
Kimber M82
Ruger 77/22M (.22 WMR)
Kimber M82 (.22 Hornet.)

If I were looking for a .22 right now, I'd look for a used Kimber M82 or K22.

Bazoo
09-17-2015, 04:56 PM
Well, I finally got a rifle yesterday. I ended up finding a vintage remington 552 speedmaster. Its sad looking, but functions well. It was the dirtiest firearm, working or not working, that i have ever seen, yet it was working. I would guess over 5,000 rounds were fired without cleaning, and minimal lube. I cleaned it the best i could, but couldnt get it like it should be. I didnt have any brake cleaner, but will get some shortly.

It has the old style screw on rear sight leaf, and dovetailed front sight. I contacted remington to ascertain the year of manufacture. Im going to have to get an inner magazine tube for it. The original is in sad shape, working, but only after an hour of tinkering.

It definitely wasnt a top model on my list, but it was available, and was less than 200 out the door.

http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f112/levergunner/remington552_zps6xvuxp5t.jpg (http://s46.photobucket.com/user/levergunner/media/remington552_zps6xvuxp5t.jpg.html)

http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f112/levergunner/remington_552_zpsrndzhfyg.jpg (http://s46.photobucket.com/user/levergunner/media/remington_552_zpsrndzhfyg.jpg.html)

gpidaho
09-17-2015, 05:07 PM
I have a couple of 22s I enjoy. My Ruger Model 96 lever action is very accurate and uses a 10-22 magazine. My S&W M&P 15-22 is a very fun gun to shoot and is true in design to an AR-15. Hoping we can get back to enjoying them soon. Gp

Petrol & Powder
09-17-2015, 07:09 PM
I owned a Remington 572 Fieldmaster which is basically a pump action version of the 552 Speedmaster and it was a surprisingly good, inexpensive rifle. The major issue was the play in the fore-end which couldn't be avoided in a pump action design. I suspect a 552 Speedmaster with it's fixed fore end would work even better. Remington has often used high quality barrels on its lower end .22 rifles and I suspect that is one of the reasons there are so many excellent Remington .22's.
Enjoy your "new to you" rifle !!

Bazoo
09-17-2015, 07:23 PM
There is a little play in the fore end of the 552 also. It only has 1 bolt that holds it on, towards the rear, and there is no mechanical attachment. The front tends to wiggle a smidge. I figure i'll put a couple pieces of felt, one on either side, on the front of the fore end and see if that helps without being detrimental to accuracy.

I am enjoying it something fierce already. Thank you kindly P&P

Artful
09-21-2015, 01:59 AM
Congratulations - one of my friends just texted he found a Browning SA-22 in need of work/rehabilitation/restoral - Project guns are good stuff

Bazoo
09-24-2015, 10:00 PM
I had an out of battery detonation. No damage to the rifle or shooter, wasn't me at the time. The gunsmith said that is a common symptom of a weak recoil spring. I found out the rifle was made in 1969. So I surmise it's fired a million rounds or so.

MaLar
09-25-2015, 11:18 PM
"Well, I finally got a rifle yesterday. I ended up finding a vintage remington 552 speedmaster. Its sad looking, but functions well. It was the dirtiest firearm, working or not working, that i have ever seen"

I have a 552 myself and love it. Mine was dirty once cleaned it thought OK. It miss fired and jammed until it was dirty again.
Now I clean the bore and wipe every thing out. I just don't go crazy cleaning it out as long as it's not gritty.

It's not a boys rifle well big boy maybe.

Bazoo
09-25-2015, 11:30 PM
It was gritty as all get out. I cleaned it thoroughly with brake cleaner, then hoppes. I havent stripped the trigger group down yet, but its acoming.

trails4u
09-25-2015, 11:59 PM
Wow....54 posts until someone mentioned the T-bolt, and then....only one supporter! :( I have a 1960's (66, I think) Browning T-bolt .22 that is the most accurate rifle I've owned, in any caliber. Absolute tack driver.... Ragged holes at 25yds when I do my part. Me any my boys still carry it in the squirrel woods every year, and we fight over who gets to carry it!

Forrest r
09-26-2015, 06:19 AM
Wow....54 posts until someone mentioned the T-bolt, and then....only one supporter! :( I have a 1960's (66, I think) Browning T-bolt .22 that is the most accurate rifle I've owned, in any caliber. Absolute tack driver.... Ragged holes at 25yds when I do my part. Me any my boys still carry it in the squirrel woods every year, and we fight over who gets to carry it!

They also carry a left handed version t-bolt that's extremely popular as is the left handed cz's and the rem 580's.

Finster101
09-26-2015, 06:53 AM
The Remington 550-1 is a great rifle, especially for the price a guy can get one for nowadays. I'm seen nice ones in the $100.00 to $150.00 range. I've had one since I was a kid and it wasn't new when I got it but it feeds any type of ammo I feed it. Doesn't even mind shorts and longs mixed in the tube it just keeps shooting. Nice size and feel, more accurate than I am too.

wcp4570
09-26-2015, 10:31 AM
"The Remington 550-1 is a great rifle, especially for the price a guy can get one for nowadays."

Yes the 550 is a great shooting rifle. Old Remington's are hard to beat. I had my hands on a 1948 model 521 with original sights yesterday but the guy would not price it, he did take my number when he decided on price.

wcp

303Guy
09-26-2015, 11:34 PM
I have a Remington 512 SportMaster (Scoped and silenced) and a 511 ScoreMaster (which I have never fired). The SportMaster has served me very well and is very accurate (after chopping off about half an inch of worn muzzle). I still have the trophies I won with it (from before chopping the muzzle). It was fast and slick in my hands. Beautiful balance. They go fairly cheap.

Now I am playing with Slazengers. Cheap and utilitarian but small and neat. I got my latest one for NZ$46 (about $30 US). It's a do upper but the action and bore is great.

That Anschutz 22 looks a lot like my Anschutz hornet. Different action but the stock, barrel and sights look the same.

Bazoo
10-02-2015, 06:39 PM
I finally got around to going to all the trouble to get pictures of the new rifle. It has a new recoil spring, and a new inner magazine tube now. The buttstock is original, but the forend is a modern replacement. Im looking for an original forend to match the buttstock.

The gun racks are white oak by the way.
http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f112/levergunner/remington552_zps6xvuxp5t.jpg (http://s46.photobucket.com/user/levergunner/media/remington552_zps6xvuxp5t.jpg.html)

http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f112/levergunner/remington_552_zpsrndzhfyg.jpg (http://s46.photobucket.com/user/levergunner/media/remington_552_zpsrndzhfyg.jpg.html)

Artful
10-03-2015, 08:24 AM
Nice looking wood on that one - how's it grouping?

ukrifleman
10-03-2015, 02:21 PM
A Browning .22 pump action has to on the list.
ukrifleman

OnHoPr
10-03-2015, 02:48 PM
I had one of those speedmasters once until all my guns, bows, and tools got stolen. One year I shot 35 squirrels with 37 shots with it, so they can shoot pretty decent when you find the ammo that the gun likes. It might be he[[ in this day finding all the different ammo to test with.

Bazoo
10-03-2015, 11:20 PM
I havent seriously grouped it yet as i didnt shoot it much before i replaced the recoil spring. I got an empty shotgun hull at about 20 yards the other day though.

I will report back when i shoot it on paper.

Bazoo
10-20-2015, 10:30 PM
Well, i ended up putting the 552 in another gun trade today, so i'll be picking something else up.

Bazoo
02-27-2016, 05:02 PM
Im still on the hunt for a good, classic styled 22 rifle. I ended up trading the 552 in on an early 70's made winchester 94 30-30. The 552 still gave me some trouble after replacing the action spring, and It needed to go to remington for something more. I didnt want to invest much more into it though. And upon not being able to find a matching forearm, decided to swap it back to the place i got it from. I sorta regret it now, as It had a good feel to it. And I dont have any other 22 caliber firearms at present.

In this state, you cant hunt small game with a center fire. Or i'd use a 357 handi rifle I picked up cheap. Its on the chopping block though should I find a suitable 22 at the local pawn shop.

Greg S
02-27-2016, 06:17 PM
There are some classics out the, Rem 40X, Rem 541T, 513T, Browning T Bolt, Marlin 39, the ol Anschutz 54, Win 52D (still kicking myself) and of course the 'modded' 10-22 in a thumbhole stock. Also the classic Win 9422. 22 Mag was killed in the last shortage. I can shoot a hornet cheaper; now, finding win/rem brass is another story. Missed the boat on PPU, heck didn't even know it was available.

Clay M
02-27-2016, 08:54 PM
I grew up shooting the Winchester Model 62 and the Remington 40X.
As far as a modern classic sporter I have the Winchester 52 by Miroku.
I really like that rifle.
I still have a Marlin Mounty I got for my eleventh birthday.
It is a good one.

My early training was with the 62 and .22shorts.

Bazoo
02-27-2016, 11:26 PM
I ended to trading and getting a worn out, glenfield model 60, and some boot. It was made in 73 according to the serial number. I had it home about 10 minutes and I lopped off the comb to make it more friendly for irons. I'll refinish it one of these days. Broke it down, it needs a buffer and a couple springs. Ordered them while ago. Figure i'll hollow out the stock some for a survival kit, and put a sling on it. Nice old rifle. Pictures to come shortly

MakeMineLead
02-29-2016, 12:08 AM
Remington 40Xr KS BR, about 200 made.
http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q228/ultramag44/Remington%2040X%20R%20BR-KS/40XRange8.jpg
Here's an easier one, Remington 37, about 12,000 made
http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q228/ultramag44/Remington%2037/R37b_zps10a2066c.jpg
A real easy one, Winchester 52C
http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q228/ultramag44/52C%20Number%202/52CTwoAngleShot.jpg

rmcc
02-29-2016, 12:41 AM
For me.....1934 Win 52 with 14x Unertl

Hick
02-29-2016, 01:32 AM
Lots of great ideas-- I like my 1907 take-down Remington (22LR)

StuBach
02-29-2016, 07:25 AM
For me.....1934 Win 52 with 14x Unertl

I have to second this one.

Grandpa's Winchester 1934 Winchester 52 bull barrel with a classic Lyman SuperTarget Spot 12x. But my 1972 52D with Freeland stock is actually more fun to shoot.

Early on someone posted about the old Mossberg 22s. Have several of the old Mossberg Model 42s of various favors and all shoot great. Wifey took to collecting those when she claimed the first one I bought before I even finished cleaning it the first time. Her favorite still has the "property of U.S. Government" stamp from the lend lease program.

quack1
02-29-2016, 08:46 AM
Lots of good suggestions. Here's three I have.
Model 82 Kimber. Started out as a barreled action, I stocked it with a very light colored Bastogne walnut.
http://i291.photobucket.com/albums/ll300/1quack1/kimber3squirrelsmoraine2009.jpg
Model 12C Remington. This was a piece of junk when I got it, couldn't even see through the bore. After lining it, making a new forend, and spending countless hours polishing the metal before bluing, turned out to be a good shooter.
http://i291.photobucket.com/albums/ll300/1quack1/firstsquirrelwithM12Rem2011.jpg
The latest one. Model 69A Winchester. Another piece of junk when I got it, at least the barrel was good on this one. Restocked it, made a new bolt handle, and blued it.
http://i291.photobucket.com/albums/ll300/1quack1/11-2-15%20limit%20on%20carrier%20%2069A.jpg

Bazoo
02-29-2016, 11:48 PM
Nice pictures everyone.

Iowa Fox
03-22-2016, 12:10 AM
First rifle...Winchester model 62A...1948...still in the safe..and no..never been "refinished" (either wood nor metal)...still got the box and hang tag.

My mouth is watering.

I know they made millions of the cheap single shot 22 rifles in the 40s 50s and 60s Mossberg, Savage, Montgomery Ward, J C Penny, Western Auto, Sear Roebuck. You think I can find one, I don't know where they all went to around here.

Bazoo
06-22-2016, 05:10 PM
Well, i've shot the Model 60 a fair amount now, and it shoots great. I still havent replaced the action spring. But i did replace the buffer and hammer spring. The action spring I ordered was from numrich and didnt fit correctly. The wire used to make the spring was a touch thicker than the original spring, and caused the spring to stack before it bottomed out on the buffer. The local gunsmith said that numrich springs are like that a lot.

Bazoo
06-22-2016, 05:11 PM
That 69A is a very handsome looking rifle quack1.

Drm50
06-22-2016, 08:39 PM
Here is 3 of my favorite oldies. Marlin 1897, Winchester 61, Winchester 63

StuBach
06-23-2016, 01:48 PM
DRM50 those be puuuurrrrdy. Is there any classic 22 that doesn't love the old Western Olin SuperX?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

UKShootist
06-23-2016, 03:01 PM
I like the older classic .22 rifles. My all time favourite is a Greener small frame Martini action. It's dated about 1920-1930 and was butchered over the years, but I've managed to smarten it up a bit. It's as accurate as any modern day sporter and has the best trigger of any rifle I have owned.

I've also got a Winchester 52C heavy bull barrel that's in sweet condition. I use it as a bench rest rifle. This is an old image, it's now wearing a different scope more suited to the period, a Lyman 25x.

http://i934.photobucket.com/albums/ad189/Sdeve/Rifles/IMAG0011.jpg (http://s934.photobucket.com/user/Sdeve/media/Rifles/IMAG0011.jpg.html)

StuBach
06-23-2016, 04:02 PM
Nothing beats a 52 (any flavor) in my humble opinion. Shot Pre-A, A,B, D models with bull, heavy and regular barrels as well as Sporter (miroku repros) and all have shot amazingly but usually your looking at a decent investment.

"Perfection in Design" -Herbert Houze

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

UKShootist
06-23-2016, 05:38 PM
Nothing beats a 52 (any flavor) in my humble opinion. Shot Pre-A, A,B, D models with bull, heavy and regular barrels as well as Sporter (miroku repros) and all have shot amazingly but usually your looking at a decent investment.

"Perfection in Design" -Herbert Houz

I just wish they had made the bolt a bit easier to get back in. It alone is responsible for half filling my swear box.

Bazoo
06-24-2016, 10:59 PM
Id really love a marlin 1897.

robg
07-02-2016, 05:01 PM
A lh martini target model with a scope .guy in my club let me try his ,hitting 1inch spots at 125yards off a sandbag in our tunnel range magic.